Can we start a book club?

Buzzcat

Why not suggest several books and we can take a vote?

Pride and Prejudice or any Austin
Any of the Sherlock Holmes books
Origin of The Species
Any Dickens
Any of the classics available free

Poldark Novels
Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon

I am open to any other suggestions

Buzzcat

I am happy with any of those. I am familiar with all of the Sherlock Holmes stories, and have read the first 4 or 5 Outlander Books. Not read Dickens, but it’s probably long overdue.

What do other people think?

The Dickens and Sherlock Holmes are Free.

The first Outlander book Cross Stitch is available on eBay for a fiver including postage.

Oldcoot

@Buzzcat Pick a book then.

I'm ready when you are. I really, really can't afford to pay for a book right now, even if it is only a fiver, so a free one if that's possible please?
(I can next month, It'll be my treat for the month provided I've hit my aims)

Buzzcat

It’s going to make me get to grips with Dickens at long last.

I don’t know how book clubs work. Are we going to read a chapter and then discuss it on line? if people are happy with Great Expectations I will put up a list of the main characters and a synopsis.

Remember this is meant to be fun, not a chore, so no guilt if people don’t manage to read the chapter.

DinosaurChickens

DC, your humour is on top form today.

Right, I've downloaded the book. and have started reading. Are we discussing each chapter or the book once we've read it?
That depends on how many chapters are in the book, we could be at it all year if there are millions. I haven't looked at it yet, are they long or short chapters Coot? Maybe if there are loads we could do up to a certain page and then discuss, that might chop it down a bit and stop us from being forced to discuss the minutae of each chapter if they are tiny ones.

DinosaurChickens

Chapter 1 isn’t very long. Suggest we start with that.
Shall we have up to a week to read it and start discussing it this time next Week?

Here are some questions to consider.

OK but does that mean we are going to be doing Great Expectations for a really long time if we discuss it chapter by chapter, it looks pretty big, or does that not matter? I've never done a book club before, but I sort of thought we might be doing things a little bit faster.

Actually, you know what, that does make sense because it gives everyone time to do it and think and that is a good thing and I can see how it will work with chat, so strike the above and I'm in on Chapter one with you as well for next week.

Buzzcat

OK but does that mean we are going to be doing Great Expectations for a really long time if we discuss it chapter by chapter, it looks pretty big, or does that not matter? I've never done a book club before, but I sort of thought we might be doing things a little bit faster.

Actually, you know what, that does make sense because it gives everyone time to do it and think and that is a good thing and I can see how it will work with chat, so strike the above and I'm in on Chapter one with you as well for next week.
Let’s start with Chapter 1, then once we know who is in and taking part we can go for two chapters at a time. It is quite a long book.