Cleaner starting back

Casperron

When have your cleaners started back? My friends are saying they’ve had theirs from May. Since January this year I’ve had a cleaner come round twice a week, 2 hours each time, every week. We pay her £75 for the week and she brings her own supplies & equipment. Last time we spoke was beginning of June when she told us she wouldn’t be coming back because she has Asthma and can’t risk being in peoples houses, which is fair enough but I can’t keep throwing £300 a month into thin air

Buzzcat

Mine started back about 3 weeks ago. I paid her 50% during lockdown. She usually does 1 hour a week, and two the last week of the month. For the moment we are back to the 1 hour, so I can be out whilst she is in the house. I go out as soon as she arrives. It seems safer that way.

OP
OP
C

Casperron

I wouldn't have kept paying her. She's self employed and chosen not to work due to her asthma.
When she first started working for us we signed a contract with her to say we’ll pay through sickness so I was under the impression I was legally binded to pay

Buzzcat

When she first started working for us we signed a contract with her to say we’ll pay through sickness so I was under the impression I was legally binded to pay
Surely if she has said she isn’t coming back she has cancelled the contract? You can’t continue to pay her if her condition means that she is going to be unfit for work for ever now? Perhaps you need to talk to her and point out that asthma is a disability, not sickness.

IdleWorm

Mine started back the week after the rules changed to say people in non-essential jobs could work outside their homes. I paid them half the usual rate while they couldn’t work (although actually it turned out cleaners were an exception anyway) but I wouldn’t have carried on doing that if they decided not to start back after restrictions were relaxed.

Eliza

She's a cheeky fucker then. You can't be SE but getting holiday and or sick pay.

Surely if she has said she isn’t coming back she has cancelled the contract? You can’t continue to pay her if her condition means that she is going to be unfit for work for ever now? Perhaps you need to talk to her and point out that asthma is a disability, not sickness.
What's her incentive to come back to work?

NotSorry

My cleaner started back Monday - I haven’t paid her while she’s not been working.(She wouldn’t have accepted it anyway) I’m self-employed and have had no income and claimed my government grant, it’s up to her to do the same.

OP
OP
C

Casperron

She's a cheeky fucker then. You can't be SE but getting holiday and or sick pay.

What's her incentive to come back to work?
I’m not sure she’s basically said she can’t come and work until the risk drops dramatically. But to me it has, if pubs and shops are open/opening. I don’t think she can get any grants but surely she can’t just be living off income from cleaning? I guess she must get universal credit

HelenDamnation

My cleaner came back last week, gloved and masked. I haven't been paying her during that period and she wouldn't have accepted it, either. She has other income from gardening and selling her art works, which she has kept going during the lockdown period.
I was so happy to have her back!

Boudicea1

I’m not sure she’s basically said she can’t come and work until the risk drops dramatically. But to me it has, if pubs and shops are open/opening. I don’t think she can get any grants but surely she can’t just be living off income from cleaning? I guess she must get universal credit
If she has been claiming UC, and you have still been paying her, then hopefully she has declared the money that she has been getting from you.

If not, then she has could have trouble ahead.

A family member of mine has just been 'caught' (or reported) for doing the same and is in big trouble now.

DropZoneOne

Mine is starting in two weeks, but I had to chase her up to ask. She's doing one hour instead of two, and will be wearing a mask so only going to manage kitchen and bathroom.

I haven't been paying her whilst she's not working, and we'll see if this one hour turns out to be worthwhile.

If she'd said she wasn't coming back yet, I'd have asked for my keys and looked for a new cleaner.

NotSorry

Mine is starting in two weeks, but I had to chase her up to ask. She's doing one hour instead of two, and will be wearing a mask so only going to manage kitchen and bathroom.

I haven't been paying her whilst she's not working, and we'll see if this one hour turns out to be worthwhile.

If she'd said she wasn't coming back yet, I'd have asked for my keys and looked for a new cleaner.
What’s her reasoning behind one hour instead of two?

Hotsoapywater

It is time to end this relationship. The risk will likely always be there. I think you've been very generous in paying her 100%.

If she us self employed, assuming you don't pay her holiday pay, why are you paying sick pay and as Buzz says, asthma is a condition that can be managed unless it is a severe asthma (can't remember the name but there is one type where it is rare and not induced by dust, stress etc)

What she claims though, is her business.

Curiosity has got the better of me - you mentioned a contract?

OP
OP
C

Casperron

It is time to end this relationship. The risk will likely always be there. I think you've been very generous in paying her 100%.

If she us self employed, assuming you don't pay her holiday pay, why are you paying sick pay and as Buzz says, asthma is a condition that can be managed unless it is a severe asthma (can't remember the name but there is one type where it is rare and not induced by dust, stress etc)

What she claims though, is her business.

Curiosity has got the better of me - you mentioned a contract?
She’s self employed but the first day she came she bought with her a contract which states which hours she will work each week and her rate of pay and sickness pay. Basically an employment contract but she’s self employed, she sends us an invoice for payment each month

Hotsoapywater

Thats odd. Does she clean for lots of people?

I've never had a cleaner but my neighbour does and her cleaner is SE, so there is a letter of engagement that was signed by my neighbour, but if time off sick, my neighbour doesn't pay or holiday pay.

Is she still invoicing you during the lockdown?

NotSorry

She’s self employed but the first day she came she bought with her a contract which states which hours she will work each week and her rate of pay and sickness pay. Basically an employment contract but she’s self employed, she sends us an invoice for payment each month
I've had many cleaners over the years and I've never paid sickness - never heard of it - tbh, I'd be getting rid of her

IdleWorm

Yes, I would definitely be very wary of paying sick or holiday pay as it supports any argument that you are an employer rather than a contractor of services. When we paid ours a retainer during lockdown it was basically a donation paid to the boss’s personal account, rather than to the business, and it wasn’t invoiced.

Buzzcat

Can you ask her for sick notes from the doctor. This is smelling very, very fishy. Basically as it seems to stand she can extract full pay from you for ever and a day. The contract must have an exit clause. What if you suddenly couldn’t afford her, how would you end iit? Perhaps you need legal advice to see exactly what your position is? If she is contracted to clean for you and isn‘t fulfilling her part of the contract, surely the contract becomes void?