Coffee machines

Macavity

I am thinking about buying a coffee machine, preferably bean to cup. I want one that isn't fiddly to use, a pain to clean, or takes up loads of space. I am completely bemused by the brands and choice, have ordered a couple which I didn't like. Please recommend me a coffee machine. I don't mind using ground coffee, but would prefer not to use pods because of expense and environmental reasons. I am the only coffee drinker in the house and probably drink one or two cups a day.

Xales

I have a De'Longhi Magnifica, Automatic Bean to Cup Coffee Machine. Love it. Would recommend to anyone. Beans in one area, water in another area, push button and coffee comes out. If you are feeling fancy, frothy milk.

However it is a pain to clean and is quite chunky. The coffee grounds seem to not always go in the collector so need cleaning out.

Bellarosa

It depends how much you want to spend and what sort of coffee you like. I fell out with De Longhi as my bean to cup machine broke twice and had to be replaced, and then when it broke again I gave up. Amazon recommended the espresso works one so my son and I did some research and as the independent reviews were good we bought one ( I wouldn’t necessarily take an Amazon recommendation as gospel 😆) It is not bean to cup but it does come with a grinder and a milk jug. It makes excellent espresso with a beautiful crema and the milk frother is excellent too. It is much smaller than a bean to cup and less noisy. It is by no means, however a “one touch” process so if that is what you are after, it may not be the one for you. Having said that, it is still easy to make a fab cup of coffee.
I missed you asking me this question on another thread but I did answer eventually. Sorry about that 😆

Villanelle

We have a Bosch bean to cup & it's fabulous. Fill the water tank, put beans in the holder, press the button & voilà beautiful cup of coffee. Husband says it's easy to clean too, I wouldn't know as never done it 🤭
Unfortunately we've had it years though so don't know how good the new models are... Not helpful I know 🙈

Macavity

It depends how much you want to spend and what sort of coffee you like. I fell out with De Longhi as my bean to cup machine broke twice and had to be replaced, and then when it broke again I gave up. Amazon recommended the espresso works one so my son and I did some research and as the independent reviews were good we bought one ( I wouldn’t necessarily take an Amazon recommendation as gospel 😆) It is not bean to cup but it does come with a grinder and a milk jug. It makes excellent espresso with a beautiful crema and the milk frother is excellent too. It is much smaller than a bean to cup and less noisy. It is by no means, however a “one touch” process so if that is what you are after, it may not be the one for you. Having said that, it is still easy to make a fab cup of coffee.
I missed you asking me this question on another thread but I did answer eventually. Sorry about that 😆
Ooh! I haven’t heard of that one. Just had a look. It looks great! Thanks for that recommendation.

We have a Bosch bean to cup & it's fabulous. Fill the water tank, put beans in the holder, press the button & voilà beautiful cup of coffee. Husband says it's easy to clean too, I wouldn't know as never done it 🤭
Unfortunately we've had it years though so don't know how good the new models are... Not helpful I know 🙈
Thanks I will have a look at the modern ones.

Justsayno

Not a coffee maker recommendation, but a frother...we just bought a Bodum milk frother and it's well worth the money. My morning coffee has been upgraded from pretty good to outstanding, especially with a few grinds of sugar/cinnamon/chocolate blend on top.

CharliesAngel

Over the past 20 years I have had a Gaggia, a Dolce Gusto and a Tassimo.
For simplicity I love the Tassimo. It uses single use pods but I'm looking into getting reusable pods. Pop the pod into the machine, it reads a bar code printed on the foil of the pod and it knows how much water to use to make your drink and will automatically cut off so no overspill. If you want a weaker coffee you can hold your finger on the button and it will add as much as you want until you remove your finger.
It's got a tiny worktop footprint too which is also a bonus.
The Gaggia that I had was a bean to cup and had a milk frother too and was huge! Also would have cost a fortune to repair when it broke so we replaced it instead.

Macavity

Does the Tassimo use recyclable pods? I bought a Lavazza pod machine but it was very cheap looking so I returned it. It uses recyclable pods.

Not a coffee maker recommendation, but a frother...we just bought a Bodum milk frother and it's well worth the money. My morning coffee has been upgraded from pretty good to outstanding, especially with a few grinds of sugar/cinnamon/chocolate blend on top.
Do you make the coffee in a cafetière and then use the milk frothed?

Last edited:

Justsayno

Do you make the coffee in a cafetière and then use the milk frothed?
I prepare the milk frother & then make the coffee in a Cuisinart espresso machine - by the time I've made the coffee the milk is done. The espresso machine has a frother/steamer, but it took a while, was noisy, required a cold metal pitcher, and was annoying to clean. The bodum one, while an additional item in the kitchen, produces much better froth, more easily - and takes very little effort to clean.

CakeO'clock

Agree with a milk frother. We have a Nespresso one, very similar to the Bodum and there's loads of different makes. Revolutionises my coffee.

We have a Nespresso machine but that doesn't suit your brief as the Nespresso pods are recycled by Nespresso but they're expensive to buy. Lidl do far cheaper pods but they're not yet able to be recycled. Terracycle do recycle coffee pods but only particular brands and you need to live near a collection point (or set up your own). I offset the pods going in the bin by recycling loads of other stuff not collected curbside via our local Terracycle collection point (crisp packs, chocolate and sweet wrappers etc).