Crochet Queens

OP
OP
H

Hotsoapywater

Thank you 😊 It's one of Helen Shrimpton's designs from crochetandcrystals.com

It's been 7 weeks now. It's a 9 week CAL and I did the first 4 weeks in 2 weeks, but slowed down massively in the middle. One more part to go so I'm hoping to have it finished by the end of next week.

It fits on our double bed at the moment, so when it's finished and blocked I imagine it would do a king-size (not that we have one!)

Yes, it is a bit pricey which is what keeps putting me off. Could be a good way of getting your granddaughter to get the bug though 😁
It is beautiful. I do love Helen Shrinptons tutorials and she is so soothing in her delivery. It is an amazing blanket. I think so lovely to do and whole I'm a much more confident sewer, and knitter, I'm enjoying the learning and husband is chuffed as it doesn't have to listen to the sewing machine chugging.

It is expensive and I am willing to chuck some cash at it for her and we can share the box. So not all wasted. I'll order and let you know whether I think worth the cost.

Hoping more will put pictures up too. I've almost finished my basic blanket, so I'll put up when done. We are doing chains with granddaughter at moment who is supposed to be doing schoolwork but that can wait while Granny is in the mood.

You must be thrilled, Cinnamon. It is GORGEOUS

OP
OP
H

Hotsoapywater

Okay. My yarn has arrived.

I'm heading to crochet world to begin this project.

I've chosen anthracite grey and cream wool. I feel confident enough to do it.

Will post pictures as a I go.

Cuppa

Wow, I love these projects. I have only really taken up crochet since Nov when I made some Pokemon for my son’s Xmas present. Since lockdown I have discovered scheepjes whirls and have fallen down a rabbit hole of beautiful shawls and blankets!

OP
OP
H

Hotsoapywater

I'm still cracking away at my bkanket. My edges are a bit rough, but I'll deal with those after I've got to the end.

Great pictures, Lola. I've picked it up again tonight and have been at it since 8pm. I love it.

OP
OP
H

Hotsoapywater

Oh my god. Crotchet marathon last night. Was still awake at 4am. Now I'm bleary eyed and happy..

I've gone for a simple moss stitch as it gathers speed very quickly. I've set myself to have this finished by this weekend.

Cinnamon Square

Oh my god. Crotchet marathon last night. Was still awake at 4am. Now I'm bleary eyed and happy..

I've gone for a simple moss stitch as it gathers speed very quickly. I've set myself to have this finished by this weekend.
I do like the ones that build quickly - feels like you achieve loads in a small amount of time.

I've started a new one. It's a blanket pattern but I'm using thinner yarn, because I have some scheepjes whirls to use up, and a smaller hook so not sure what the final size will end up being.

PSX_20200630_102254.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hotsoapywater

20200630_102027_copy_567x1008.jpg20200630_102027_copy_567x1008.jpg

I do like the ones that build quickly - feels like you achieve loads in a small amount of time.

I've started a new one. It's a blanket pattern but I'm using thinner yarn, because I have some scheepjes whirls to use up, and a smaller hook so not sure what the final size will end up being.

View attachment 2409
Okay. I dont know what s scheepjes whirl is. That is beautiful though.

Mine looks very basic at the moment.

Okay, Cinnamon, I've found it. Amazingly clever.

I'm going to plough away at my blanket, my edges aren't too bad and I've been practicing borders on a swatch to build my confidence. My neighbout (she is 90) has been showing me too. She does amazing work.

20200630_104047_copy_1008x567.jpg

That's a better picture.

Last edited:

DropZoneOne

I don't know moss stitch, but that's pretty. Are you carrying the alternate yarn behind when you colour change? I like rows, but the thought of all the ends puts me off.

OP
OP
H

Hotsoapywater

I don't know moss stitch, but that's pretty. Are you carrying the alternate yarn behind when you colour change? I like rows, but the thought of all the ends puts me off.
Moss or linen stitch is a double crotchet, chain one, rinse and repeat. It is such a quick builder and has me getting used to allowing the hook to do the work, DZO. This attenpt I've managed to keep the tension at bay so it isn't curling like my last one which I screwed up and is still in the bin glaring at me. :ROFLMAO:

I am weaving in as I change, I too can't bear all the ends dangling.

But one thing, it is keeping my mind on key and I'm not drifting into fed up stage as I was last week.

IMG-20200605-WA0003.jpg

This is what my Italian neighbour made for me. Gorgeous.