Do you ever re-read a book?

V

visitor

I've seen people say that they have, and I can't understand it. I've never read a book more than once, I just don't see the point; I already know the story and there are so many other books to read.

If you do re-read why do you?

V

visitor

Yes!
I have books that I have read several times. Would you not watch a film again?
I must admit though, I read so much that I often cant remember how the book ends?

V

visitor

Yes!
I have books that I have read several times. Would you not watch a film again?
I must admit though, I read so much that I often cant remember how the book ends?
No, I wouldn't!! ? Well I have in the past, particularly 2, but a film takes a couple of hours. A book takes ages! Well it does for me recently

V

visitor

Oh I love reading books over and over. It isn't a problem that I already know the story.

The way the author sets the book out and arranges words is something I enjoy and I am keen to re-experience this.

I particularly like re-reading Agatha Christie and Dorothy L Sayers books.

V

visitor

Yes, some because I love them and some I read and it is only when I am part way through that I realise I have already read it :rolleyes:.
Norman Mailer is one I go back to more than once, I find his books not the easiest to read. Reading them again throws a different light on them.

V

visitor

My “go to” book for any particular occasion is “Three Men in a Boat” by Jerome K Jerome.

It is one of those books you can dip in and out of, as although there is an overriding story arc, it is really just a series of linked short stories and anecdotes. It is my favourite book by miles and I’ve read it many times, and sometimes I might just read certain favourite parts one after the other.

It’s main attraction for me is the beautiful descriptive early Edwardian/ late Victorian language used by the author and to me it is just like looking at an old master in an art gallery, in that you’ve seen it thousands of times before, but still get a huge amount of joy and satisfaction from re-visiting it.

V

visitor

My “go to” book for any particular occasion is “Three Men in a Boat” by Jerome K Jerome.

It is one of those books you can dip in and out of, as although there is an overriding story arc, it is really just a series of linked short stories and anecdotes. It is my favourite book by miles and I’ve read it many times, and sometimes I might just read certain favourite parts one after the other.

It’s main attraction for me is the beautiful descriptive early Edwardian/ late Victorian language used by the author and to me it is just like looking at an old master in an art gallery, in that you’ve seen it thousands of times before, but still get a huge amount of joy and satisfaction from re-visiting it.
Perfect description of it! My favourite bit is probably Montmorency and the cat. I might dig out my copy and read it again while I have time, thanks for the reminder.
I reread quite a few books. They are usually from my childhood and teens. With a book like The Secret Garden you see more as you get older, different perspective on what happened to Mary and why she is like she is.

V

visitor

I do. Sometimes I just like them that much and sometimes I've forgotten the ins and outs.

V

visitor

Absolutely, I have a handful of favourites which I return to time and again - it's like comfort eating, you know what you're getting but it's still delicious.

I re-read because the story is touching, the writing is so good, the world that the writer evokes is so complete. It's savouring the characters.

Partly I find it cathartic, the writer has expressed what I might be feeling, but way more eloquently.

V

visitor

I've re-read War and Peace so many times, although not for a while.

It's a huge book and while I remember the general story, I always seem to read 'new' bits that I've obviously forgotten reading.

I also secretly hope each time that it will end differently.

V

visitor

Perfect description of it! My favourite bit is probably Montmorency and the cat. I might dig out my copy and read it again while I have time, thanks for the reminder.
I reread quite a few books. They are usually from my childhood and teens. With a book like The Secret Garden you see more as you get older, different perspective on what happened to Mary and why she is like she is.
Bloody hell what a strange coincidence- my daughter is currently watching the film “The Secret Garden” ?

V

visitor

Oh goodness, yes!

My favourite comfort read is Airs Above The Ground, by Mary Stewart.
I know what is going to happen, there are no nasty surprises in store, so I can just enjoy the story enfolding before me.
It’s like an old friend.

I’d only keep a book if I was going to read it again. and I have hundreds of books

My Ex only ever read books once.

V

visitor

A great friend of mine who I have known for years, and worked with for 19 years, introduced me to this book, and we could have ourselves in hysterics just by quoting single lines from it - our favourite line was “ ...it was George’s straw hat that saved his life that day”, not because of the line itself, but the situation it reminded us of.

My personal favourite bit is where they are attempting to open the tin of fruit with various implements, all with equal amounts of failure, and eventually the tin gets in to such a hideous shape that it frightens them and they eventually throw it in the river.

(I’ll stop now, but I could go on for ages ?)

V

visitor

Very rarely, but I’m re-reading the Anne of Green Gables books after watching Anne with an E. I’m not sure I read them all first time round anyway, probably just the first few.

Another series I’d like to re-read is Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novels.

Basically it has to be a book I really loved for me to want to re-read it.

V

visitor

Oh goodness, yes!

My favourite comfort read is Airs Above The Ground, by Mary Stewart.
I know what is going to happen, there are no nasty surprises in store, so I can just enjoy the story enfolding before me.
It’s like an old friend.

I’d only keep a book if I was going to read it again. and I have hundreds of books

My Ex only ever read books once.

Mary Stewart, I had forgotten about her - thanks for the reminder!

I reread loads, Georgette Heyer and MM Kaye in particular. There is also a book I love called Zemindar, cant remember the author and too lazy to go upstairs, but Indian Mutimy.