Do you ever re-read a book?

V

visitor

I have read Rebecca multiple times. It is my favourite book. I also like re reading books with the children.

Oh heck you've done it now - it's over a year since I read this so off I go :D

Otherwise it's Frederick Forsyth for me; I just adore his writing style and can read them over and over

V

visitor

Austen, Pratchett, to name just two. I find something new in them every time.

Now, sorry yer maj, but those are two authors I have never been able to get on with. My mother and I used to send each other postcards of Jane Austen's gravestone... (I realise this may sound very odd, but I had some Austen book for A level and god it nearly killed me. Dante was easier by far)

V

visitor

Mary Stewart, I had forgotten about her - thanks for the reminder!

I reread loads, Georgette Heyer and MM Kaye in particular. There is also a book I love called Zemindar, cant remember the author and too lazy to go upstairs, but Indian Mutimy.
I remember Zemindar! I bought it when it first came out in paperback. I think it was the winner of the Georgette Heyerdahl prize. It was a great read.

I love collecting series of books, and seeing the character development.

V

visitor

Wow, it seems like I'm in the minority here, maybe because as I've got older I've read more true crime books instead of novels.

Although as I've typed this I've got the urge to re-read Bill Bryson A walk in the woods, which is and outstanding book with proper belly laughing moments. Shame I gave it away as I never read a book twice....

V

visitor

Yep Terry Pratchett, have re read most numerous times.
Same for Agatha Christie, Tolkein, Bill Bryson and Colin Dexter. There are just times I want a familiar story. It's a comfort thing, duvet day, cup of tea, do not disturb for a couple of hours and bliss!

V

visitor

I've seen people say that they have, and I can't understand it. I've never read a book more than once, I just don't see the point; I already know the story and there are so many other books to read.

If you do re-read why do you?

Definitely. Favourite books. It's amazing what you pick up second or even third time around, especially if you first read a book when you were young because our attitudes change so much.

V

visitor

Oh yes. Classics and children's books mainly. I never re-read crime fiction or contemporary chick-lit though. In the days when Cosmo or Company used to come with a free paperback I used to call those 'disposable fiction'.

V

visitor

Yes! I have a series of books that I am on my third copies of, as they fell apart though being read so often! I also have them on my kindle in case I get caught out somewhere having finished one kindle book and don't have internet to start a new one. If I don't enjoy a book, I don't keep it and some books I have read and enjoyed but wouldn't bother to read again. I have hundreds of books. I made the mistake once of lending a set of books to my then fiance, who took them offshore to read. The bugger didn't bring them back! He did replace them, but was clearly bemused. But then, he was the person who had a shelf of Reader's Digest condensed books that had never been opened, but we had to keep as 'they looked good' - as opposed to my often-read, much-loved books. I never saw him open in a book in the 22 years we were married.

V

visitor

I used to but as I have got older, no. I was in a huge branch of Waterstones in Piccadilly a few years back. I was browsing when I heard some guy, about 30 ish, say there was so many books he wanted to read but a finite amount of time to read them before he died. A bit maudlin and dramatic but it stuck in my head. There are so many books, and we are all going to die at some point so why not cram in as many new experiences as possible, including reading new material.

V

visitor

I used to but as I have got older, no. I was in a huge branch of Waterstones in Piccadilly a few years back. I was browsing when I heard some guy, about 30 ish, say there was so many books he wanted to read but a finite amount of time to read them before he died. A bit maudlin and dramatic but it stuck in my head. There are so many books, and we are all going to die at some point so why not cram in as many new experiences as possible, including reading new material.
There are some things I want to experience more than once...

V

visitor

There are some things I want to experience more than once...
And also experience in different ways.

Or just a comfort read. I re-read Phillip Pullman, David Mitchell and Margaret Atwood a lot, and find different things to enjoy each time.

V

visitor

I have enjoyed reading books I liked in my early years to see if they withstand the test of time. Not many do.
Some books I have read many times can still surprise me with a bit I had not previously appreciated fully.

V

visitor

There are a few books I'm completely addicted to, no matter how many times I've read them, they become like a fine wine, they mature with age. And as previously said, each reading brings out a new flavour, things I may have not picked up the previous time.

V

visitor

Yes. As someone said, it's like hearing from an old friend. Tea, soft music, bath, chocolate, good reliable book....utter bliss.

There's 4 that I go back to once every 3/4 years, by that time I've forgotten enough detail for it not to be boring.

You've all promted me to buy my favourite childhood book that I read so much it fell apart. Thank you.

(Wish I could afford the first edition though)

Last edited by a moderator:
V

visitor

I will re-read books. The first read, I go in for the thrills. The characters, plot, pace, etc. If I rate the book (which doesn't happen that often: most books are pretty average), then instead of donating it, I'll keep it on my bookshelf, and in a year or two, I will read it again. Yes, I 'know' the story, the characters, etc, but this second read is to appreciate the crafting, the subtleties I missed first time around, the additional layers that I know have been sweated over by the author.

V

visitor

I actually can't think of any books. Apart from Bill Bryson that I'd like to re-read. Maybe Lord of the Rings, I loved that book 20 years ago.

V

visitor

i’m currently re-reading everything by Stephen King that i have on my kindle (which is creaking under the weight of 632 books!).

i’m a recovering alcoholic, 6 years sober, and some of these books i have only read while drinking. so these re-reads have the joy and comfort of old friends, but i’m also picking up SO MUCH that i missed on previous readings.

anne tyler is another author that i can re-read, and lesley glaister and margaret atwood. and will self and armistad maupin...i re-read a LOT.

for me though, Stephen King is like an old friend and it’s certainly passing the time whilst i’m shielding.