Do you ever re-read a book?

V

visitor

My copy of Jane Eyre is so well read it’s falling apart. I just find it very comforting. I probably read it at least once a year, but I do read very quickly.

V

visitor

I re-read lots of books. For me it’s like getting into a warm bath. Sometimes I find new things in them, sometimes I don’t. I can’t imagine not keeping books, as I might want to read them again.

W

What could go wrong?

No.

Once read they go back as charity donations. I aspire to only having library books in the house but haven't got there yet.

V

visitor

Oh all the time. I'd say at least 60% of my reading/Audible is re-reads (or re-listens). I've read every one of Bill Bryson's books at least 3 or 4 times, some more. I've listened to A Short History of Nearly Everything 4 times on Audible (all 20 hours of it!), and to The Psychopath Test and Them by Jon Ronson 3 or 4 times each. I've read the entire Harry Potter series 3 times, and I re-read Pride and Prejudice every year and The Lord of the Rings and Jurassic Park and The Lost World by Michael Crichton every couple of years. I dip in and out of the James Herriot books constantly and have done since I was a child - they were the inspiration for me to pursue my career.

There are more but the books mentioned are all like old friends to me, I enjoy them more every time! I read extremely fast though so as a child if I didn't re-read books I'd have run out of reading material pretty much on a weekly basis, so I guess that got me into the habit of re-reading.

V

visitor

I re-read the diary of Anne Frank ,How the grinch stole christmas + the Harry potter series every year.

I don't buy books for myself anymore apart from the ones needed for school. The last one I bought was in 2017 and was instrumental by Pianist James Rhodes.

V

visitor

I read Cheryl Coles autobiography three times and I feel that it's going to be the horrible fact about myself God will bring up when I get to the pearly gates.

I am ashamed of myself... but I just really enjoyed it for some reason ?

I have also just read back and everyone else is talking about classical books that are well known for being brilliant *removes self from this thread*.

V

visitor

i’m currently re-reading everything by Stephen King that i have on my kindle (which is creaking under the weight of 632 books!).

i’m a recovering alcoholic, 6 years sober, and some of these books i have only read while drinking. so these re-reads have the joy and comfort of old friends, but i’m also picking up SO MUCH that i missed on previous readings.

anne tyler is another author that i can re-read, and lesley glaister and margaret atwood. and will self and armistad maupin...i re-read a LOT.

for me though, Stephen King is like an old friend and it’s certainly passing the time whilst i’m shielding.
Lightweight - I have 3000+ on mine!

V

visitor

I've got to clear mine, and start rotating books between kindles, as I have an older one, a paperwhite and a Fire. If lockdown goes on much longer, I'm going to start reading in author order (except for ds's Warhammer and Star Wars books) and see how far I get. I've got some hardback library books to read as well.

I've got stacks of books in storage from our move back to Uk last year. The bookshelves are all in storage too, hence the reliance on the Kindles.

V

visitor

I don't usually re-read books but have made an exception for 22.11.63 by Stephen King which I've read at least three times over the past several years and will definitely read again. The book is much, much better than the film.

i haven’t seen the film. i didn’t like the book the first time i read it, i found the Oswald stuff a bit dense, but have gone back to it since and got a lot more out of it. and that is my book report on 22.11.63 i hope you liked it.

V

visitor

As a child I used to re read books really often, I think it was a comfort to me, felt very familiar to disappear into a certain world. As I've gotten older this seems to be lost on me! I don't know what it is, but I find I can't even relax to read like I did then. it has to be quiet and calm for me to be able to read nowadays so I struggle to read books full stop never mind read them a second or third or fourth time haha!

V

visitor

Might have to bring the old Stephen kings out, read most of them as a teenagers but then started to like bon fiction so they got left aside, also read them in french so reading them in English night just being something different, my re-read are mainly 1984 and brave new world (I like a dystopia) otherwise I am ashamed to say I have re read the shopaholics series, which made me laugh and I enjoyed the first time around but not so much the second one, that Becky girl is so bloody wet! Rene barjavel also writes a good dystopia ?

V

visitor

Yes, Rosamunde Pilcher's 'The Shell Seekers'. Over the years I must have read it over 100 times. My aunt gave me her copy when I was about 13 or 14 and I'm 40 now. The book is literally falling apart. I've stuck pages in and stuck the cover back on, but I don't want to buy a new one. My aunt passed away only a few years after giving it to me so it has sentimental value too as I have so few things of hers.

V

visitor

I reread a lot. My favourite go to is Cynthia Harrod Eagles and the Morland series, probably read them about eight times. Also game of thrones and harry potter are good ones too. Its like discovering an old friend each time

V

visitor

I never normally would but given the libraries are closed (and based on the fact i read over 250 books from there in the last year) I am digging the old books from the back of my cupboards as refuse to actually buy books anymore.

V

visitor

I'm always re-reading books. As a child I was always nose first in a book, mostly Enid Blyton, Judy blume, babysitter club and sweet valley high.

It's all Jilly Cooper, hunger games, divergent trilogy, the Australian series that starts with tomorrow when the war began, and pride and prejudice, and the like now.

I also absolutely love the Diary of Anne Frank. I need to get back into reading actually, I managed to source the entire oz series on pdf and having read ozma of oz as a child, I want to read the whole series.

Oh and paddington bear!

V

visitor

Some I like to reread. Others I read once and donate to charity or send to someone on a bookswap site. I have one that I love to read at least once a year, I really like the storyline, its a nice, happy, feel good book but not in a twee way. It just makes me smile so I'm happy to read it again. I've had to purchase another copy as the original one is so worn out ?

I actually find that when reading a book the second or third time you refocus your attention to other characters more so you can appreciate how complex or simple the character is. Sometimes you come across something that appears to have been the trigger for things later in the storyline that you missed the first reading and sometimes you find that what you believed to have been completely obvious you were actually wrong about but it takes a second reading to realize.

I find it sad that my children (teenagers and young adults) don't care for books the way I do. They don't see the point of a physical book when they can just stick a book on their phones/kindles.