Feeling out of place

Or rather between places. Where I currently live, over lockdown it has become obvious that I am just so out of step with the majority of people in the area I now live in. I have friends of a range of political persuasions which is fine but where I live, people with my views are not obvious if FB and general overheard conversation is anything to go by. My job is different to everyone around me but if I lived in an area where these jobs were prolific, then I would probably feel no connection there either because my lifestyle isn’t generally in line with those either. Just woke up feeling very disconnected this morning, sorry!

OP
OP
W
Yes, that’s about right! I don’t fit it where I live with the general prevailing views/attitudes/experience of work, social life and wouldn’t fit in if I moved to an area dominated by people in my field because of my background

horsesgallore

Its difficult. I lived for 30 years in a place I didn't like. I went there as a child, then married someone who came from the area and insisted that he would never be able to live anywhere else. After our marriage broke down, he lived abroad for almost 10 years before his 3rd wife gave him a one-way ticket back to the UK to get shot of him and he ended up in the same dead end town where we lived. I rarely felt welcome there. I was looking to going back to my home area, but needed a job and a house and ended up in a different area altogether. It has worked to go somewhere 'neutral'.

Hotsoapywater

Or rather between places. Where I currently live, over lockdown it has become obvious that I am just so out of step with the majority of people in the area I now live in. I have friends of a range of political persuasions which is fine but where I live, people with my views are not obvious if FB and general overheard conversation is anything to go by. My job is different to everyone around me but if I lived in an area where these jobs were prolific, then I would probably feel no connection there either because my lifestyle isn’t generally in line with those either. Just woke up feeling very disconnected this morning, sorry!
I've felt this disconnect when I first moved to the area three decades ago. Firstly, I struggled with the language and I was definitely avoided because I was foreign.

How long have you lived there, Well?