Feminist Books

V

visitor

I am currently reading Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez which I am finding amazingly interesting. Does anyone have any other good reads that will open my eyes a bit more?
I already have Sex Matters by Dr Alyson ah McGregor.

V

visitor

Fact or fiction?
For the former, I always think it’s interesting to look at the iconic works to see how things have evolved: so stuff by Greer, Steinem, Angela Davis.
Also I like Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
Novels: The Handmaids Tale obvs, Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown, The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter, The Bell Jar by Plath.
Good thread idea!

Last edited by a moderator:
V

visitor

Invisible Women is such a great book!

These are worth reading for how women were/are treated. All of them are graphic novels/cartoon so quick to read:

‘Becoming Unbecoming’ - Una - about coming of age in the time of the Yorkshire Ripper

‘Persepolis’ - Marjane Satrapi - an Iranian childhood exploring the change to a conservative religious regime and its impact

‘The Trouble with Women’ - Jacky Fleming - brilliant cartoons exploring beliefs which were held about women

V

visitor

Great thank you! I’m looking to do a book order over next few weeks so will have a look at these :)

V

visitor

I’ve just read Womannin the Photograph by Stephanie ?. It features a photographer (fictional);who photographed important (real) events such as Greenham common and Margaret Thatcher. The photographer, through meeting a feminist learns all about feminism.

In the book it mentions Fear of Flying by Erica Jong. I’ve not read it yet.