Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of a Modern Royal Family

V

visitor

They are all family names though. Prince William was named after a Gloucester cousin of Prince Charles that was killed in the 1940s. Prince Andrew was named after his paternal grandfather. Louis (common male middle name) was after Mountbatten. Apparently Beatrice was going to be called Annabel but this was rejected by the queen. Imagine if she had rejected Archie’s name!
You can’t call a Princess after a nightclub!!

V

visitor

She's sacked her barrister, accd to the Times, possibly in sympathy with Amber Heard. I mean- wonder if that is really true and if so - does she agree that everyone deserves representation???

Just FGS admit your pissed the judge didnt agree with your crazy case and you had to pay £70k. No, he couldn't pull it out of the bag for you because the argument was nonsense. Wonder what Schilling's fate is.

V

visitor

Interesting she allegedly has sympathy for another golddigger.

I haven't followed JD's case day to day so I don't really have a view on AH/the situation. I just read the wrapping up bits in the Times when the trial concluded.

My speculative opinion wrt to MM here is that she doesn't actually have a view on AH either - or much of one. I think this is pure petulance, if it's true. Whichever barrister of note she could choose would have clients whose views differ from hers. Maybe Amal Clooney told her otherwise, but I am sure on that point Schillings would have set her straight. She's just pissed off she had to pay out, looking for someone (else) to blame, and taking the opportunity to suggest the guy is reputationally problematic hence she HAD to make the call. Whatever he is, he's a well-qualified, professional barrister. Maybe she didn't like the advice with hindsight, but don't bring Amber Heard into it. I hope the industry professionals they are thinking of hiring for the Netflix productions are watching this closely. A lot of very qualified people could get caught in the crossfire here.

Also: could he have quit? Or was about to and they pre-empted?

That said, certainly a barrister that 'shuns the limelight' is a step in the right direction for this pair. (Rushbrooke is the new guy.)

Last edited by a moderator:
V

visitor

Also: could he have quit? Or was about to and they pre-empted?

I’m fairly sure that under the Cab Rank Rule - I realise that MM chose the barrister in the first place so that aspect of the CRR doesn’t apply but the rest does - a barrister can’t return (forward on) instructions to another barrister without the consent of the client or return a brief that has been accepted and that has a fixed date for court.

However, MM has already put Schillings in an impossible position. I forget the exact wording but it was to do with the attempt to enlarge the remit of the case beyond what the law allows and Mr Justice Warby made that abundantly clear; the barrister indicated through the legal equivalent of gritted teeth that he had advised the client appropriately but her views had prevailed over his legal opinion. It would have been professionally embarrassing for him.

My best guess is that the conversation went something like this:

MM: “You’re fired!” <does a happy little dance at asserting herself over a useless barrister who kept overlooking her six years’ legal experience on Suits>

DS: “As you wish”. <does a happy little dance at losing a PITA client whose demands were doing his head in>

V

visitor

I wasn't aware of the Cab Rank Rule.

MM: “You’re fired!” <does a happy little dance at asserting herself over a useless barrister who kept overlooking her six years’ legal experience on Suits> Lolz

V

visitor

I'm surprised that Meghan didn't remember Archie Bunker, who was the US version of Alf Garnett, and considered very, very common by posh people.

To be fair I suppose Archie Bunker was before Meghan's time - but he was an out-and-out racist (on the show, obviously).

V

visitor

I'm surprised that Meghan didn't remember Archie Bunker, who was the US version of Alf Garnett, and considered very, very common by posh people.

To be fair I suppose Archie Bunker was before Meghan's time - but he was an out-and-out racist (on the show, obviously).

This is true, re Archie Bunker. It's a little surprising this name has ever had a comeback in the US after him. Iconic US show. Maybe Archie was Harry's choice?

V

visitor

I am wondering what came first - Archie’s name or the idea for “Archewell”? It does seem a bit contrived imo.

V

visitor

She must have. Of course she would have.
Yes. Doria is my age and I certainly remember Alf Garnett and Archie Bunker.

Maybe they didn't tell Doria in advance? On the Wikipedia page, the first descriptor of Archie Bunker is "racist".

"Archie has a gruff, overbearing demeanor, largely defined by his bigotry towards a diverse group of individuals: blacks, Hispanics, "Commies", gays, hippies, Jews, Asians, Catholics, "women's libbers", and Polish–Americans are frequent targets of his barbs."

V

visitor

I’m fairly sure that under the Cab Rank Rule - I realise that MM chose the barrister in the first place so that aspect of the CRR doesn’t apply but the rest does - a barrister can’t return (forward on) instructions to another barrister without the consent of the client or return a brief that has been accepted and that has a fixed date for court.

However, MM has already put Schillings in an impossible position. I forget the exact wording but it was to do with the attempt to enlarge the remit of the case beyond what the law allows and Mr Justice Warby made that abundantly clear; the barrister indicated through the legal equivalent of gritted teeth that he had advised the client appropriately but her views had prevailed over his legal opinion. It would have been professionally embarrassing for him.

My best guess is that the conversation went something like this:

MM: “You’re fired!” <does a happy little dance at asserting herself over a useless barrister who kept overlooking her six years’ legal experience on Suits>

DS: “As you wish”. <does a happy little dance at losing a PITA client whose demands were doing his head in>

V

visitor

Am I imagining that HaM said that Archie had classical roots? A quick google reveals it is Germanic in origin. ?‍♀️

V

visitor

Archie, like Wilfred, is currently a very popular name. They are trying to make it sound yooneek and original, when it isn’t.

V

visitor

Archie, like Wilfred, is currently a very popular name. They are trying to make it sound yooneek and original, when it isn’t.
Hmm. They are not my favourite names. I sometime think that people think about a name that is cute in a baby but maybe works less well when a teenager or adult. Just my opinion. I did have a much loved uncle called Wilf however ?