Free Britney campaign

Hotsoapywater

I don't as a rule, fall down celebrity holes, but I've found myself following this with interest. I had no idea that she was under a conservatorship. Amanda Byrne is another star that is under one worth millions of dollars.

Anybody else following this?

OP
OP
H

Hotsoapywater

It is such a mixed bag of responses, Honey. Hard to know which to follow. Her father has stepped down now and some legal person has been appointed to manage it all. Apparently, she has been in court today with her mother who has applied to be on the conservatorship.

Without a doubt, she has had problems - but a small part of me is leaning towards that she is a huge brand and makes money while she is sleeping.

Divgirl

Here it would be a guardianship order and to be granted this the person would need to have an impairment that meant that they were unable to make/understand decisions either solely about their finances, or generally.

You cannot have no decision making capacity and also be working full time, touring, giving interviews, etc. Basically you can't have no decision making capacity and be popstar Britney Spears. I completely believe that she is unwell in some way, and she may well have fluctuating capacity because of that, but she seems like a prisoner full-time.

The States are pretty backwards in a lot of their legislation but I cannot understand how she fits the criteria to have this order over her. And supposedly the people who hold conservatorship are paid for their services. How convenient.

OP
OP
H

Hotsoapywater

Here it would be a guardianship order and to be granted this the person would need to have an impairment that meant that they were unable to make/understand decisions either solely about their finances, or generally.

You cannot have no decision making capacity and also be working full time, touring, giving interviews, etc. Basically you can't have no decision making capacity and be popstar Britney Spears. I completely believe that she is unwell in some way, and she may well have fluctuating capacity because of that, but she seems like a prisoner full-time.

The States are pretty backwards in a lot of their legislation but I cannot understand how she fits the criteria to have this order over her. And supposedly the people who hold conservatorship are paid for their services. How convenient.
Thanks, Divgirl. So the Court of Protection here would be the governing body? My understanding here and it is the same in Austria, that there are two routes to LPOA or guardianship orders - is there a difference in the UK between the two? Having read up a little here, there is one for health and welfare- decison making for health - then separately for financial purposes? That's how we do it in Austria.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I'm just not settled at all with this. She has worked on US X Factor, and other tours and shows. She's always kempt and looks healthy in everything she has done. Then I'm reading that she is not allowed out alone - can't have visitors. I accept that most stars have financial managers and advisors, but she appears to have, no control at all over her day to day life and no oversight of her finances.

Amanda Byrne is another one. I think that's her name.

Amanda Bynes.

Apparently, in only 9 states, grave disability is the capacity that the UK and most of Europe use. This is what BS is under.

Last edited:

Maloryknox

I've also seen a little bit of the free Britney stuff and find it a bit suspicious.

She's well enough to work, well enough to hold a residency in Vegas and appear on a TV show - but she can't manage any of her own life. If what I've read is true to guardianship is extremely restrictive as well. It's not just big financial or life changing
decisions she can't make, she can't even meet friends without permission.

It's very strange. Her insta account is a bit weird as well. She always has sweaty make up on and mostly just posts vids of her dancing.

Maloryknox

I feel very sad for her. Kevin Federline is a nasty piece of shit and holds her to ransom with their kids, that she's not allowed to see. And her Dad is in control of her entire life.

She probably has zero idea of what a decent man is. It's heartbreaking.
What's been going on with KF and the kids? I know they don't live with Brittany

OP
OP
H

Hotsoapywater

They live mainly with him, and he was trying to get $60,000 a month from her in maintenance at one stage. He's gone back to court with it several times.
I'm very uncomfortable with it all. My dad, after my mother died asked my brother and i to take over his finances both for his business and our family business. We didn't have to go to court for it, it was a family decision with a solicitor and the bank manager (we can do this in Austria).

My dad has access to all his information, (not that he reads it) my brother and his wife manage his business and our family business, but my dad still has access to his money. He likes to travel with a couple of old boys he has known for years. IMO, in any country, court should not be used unless it is absolutely necessary. I find it very sneaky that court had to be used in BS's case and using the 'gravely disabled' as a route was convenient as it was available to them in that US state.

She's anything but 'gravely disabled' - this doesn't protect her. It protects the brand that is a multi million dollar brand.

Interestingly, I've tried to find a man that is under a conservatorship in the US. To no avail. Given the news surrounding Kanye West at the moment, I wonder if one will be applied for?

Last edited:

Divgirl

It's modern day slavery. Just because she's white and American and gets an allowance that to some people is a lot of money doesn't mean it's not slavery.

If she doesn't have the capacity to understand and make decisions about where she can go and what she can do, then surely she doesn't have the capacity to sign and commit to work contracts?

OP
OP
H

Hotsoapywater

It's modern day slavery. Just because she's white and American and gets an allowance that to some people is a lot of money doesn't mean it's not slavery.

If she doesn't have the capacity to understand and make decisions about where she can go and what she can do, then surely she doesn't have the capacity to sign and commit to work contracts?
There's a lot of misconceptions surrounding modern slavery. I agree, Divgirl.

If the family team, as in her father and the appointed advisors are 'managing her work streams, in that she has capacity to understand what is required, her mind is active and hardly under performing.

Having seen some of the videos, she retains a child like presentation. I'm wondering if these are managed too.

Divgirl

If you look up her interviews from pre-2007 it barely seems like the same person at all. Everything about her speech is different (tone, pace, words used), her facial expressions are different, the way she holds herself is different. It's like her soul is gone.

OP
OP
H

Hotsoapywater

I don't know that that's ever been disclosed to be honest. I think I remember the media reporting bipolar disorder in 2007 but I'm not sure.
I think bipolar was being thrown around. The 'gravely disabled' is very concerning though. Many of the disorders that are slung around by two bit psychologists are more often than not said about women.

If she has got bipolar, as with many people, they can lead fulfilling lives and are perfectly capable of managing their finances along with working and their day to day activities.

Maloryknox

Lots of people have bipolar, the condition can be managed and they can live independently.
There would be no need for that level of control.

It looks like they keep her drugged up.