Going to the beach

Penguin

I am very lucky, I live 30m from the beach and walk there every day with the dog.

Bournemouth has declared a major incident, with something like 33 tonnes of rubbish, the (only) road totally jammed, ambulances unable to get through etc. I looked at the photos of Bournemouth and Brighton yesterday - hell on earth with people crammed together. Even in our small seaside village, the bit up by the chip shops/toilets has been absolutely crammed the last few days, the car parks are full, the street parking is full (to the point of visitors parking over fire access to hydrants etc).

Why on earth would you drive to the beach in the current circs? And when you get there, leave dirty nappies on the beach, or portable bbqs that you think putting a dash of water on wont hurt a kid or a dog's feet?

Sometimes I despair of people...

LadyMuck

Because some of us live in the middle of a sweltering city and want to escape to feel a sea breeze and have a paddle.

You are very lucky indeed.

There is no excuse for the litter; however, surely you can’t blame people who have had very little freedom for months wanting to get out.

Somebody's Muse

I have been to several beaches since restrictions allowed travel, none have been busy. We were at a popular Yorkshire beach on Fathers Day, which was quiet despite nice weather.
We always go with a plan b for if they’re busy but to be honest they are huge beaches with room for everyone. I wouldn’t go anywhere that looked like Bournemouth beach does on those pictures.
We cannot use our local river beach as it’s been rammed and the police have had to enforce dispersion notices. In fact the beaches are a hell of a lot safer than most of our local walks.

Fin

We live not far from the beach but it's not somewhere we'd camp up for the day, I hate the sand. We do go a lot in all weathers to walk along it though. You would never ever see it like Bournemouth as we live in the far NE Scotland and we just don't get the weather.

bad.sandra

I don't blame anyone for wanting to get a breath of sea air, walk in the sand and dip their toes in the sea after all these months of only being allowed out locally once a day. I am extremely lucky in that I live on the coast and can walk on the beach every day. I'm in Wales though, where lockdown hasn't yet eased by much, and we can only travel within 5 miles of home, so our bit of coastline hasn't been descended on by the masses yet.

I belong to a coastal cleaning group and during the summer (a usual summer, not a lockdown summer) we can gather several large bin bags of rubbish over the course of a morning - there are between 12 - 15 volunteers who do this once or twice a week. People leave dirty nappies, filled dog poo bags, drink bottles/cartons/cans, disposable barbecues, crisp packets, polystyrene food containers, coffee cups, etc etc. There are several litter bins and recycling bins and dog poo bins all along the sea front so there's no excuse. I'm actually enjoying lockdown beach walks without litter picking at the moment.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

Because some of us live in the middle of a sweltering city and want to escape to feel a sea breeze and have a paddle.

You are very lucky indeed.

There is no excuse for the litter; however, surely you can’t blame people who have had very little freedom for months wanting to get out.
I dont blame them exactly... apart from leaving their shit behind them. But in Bournemouth today, people travelled from Birmingham and Oxford, which just seems like madness to me. Wouldnt a local park be better - more accessible, cheaper, easier to get to etc?

I do know we are very lucky, but then we are the ones that also walk on the beach in the howling gales, rain, Jan/Feb freezing temps etc. I just dont get the whole 'let's go to the beach and sit in a traffic jam' mentality - we already dont go out in the car at bank hols.

Fortress24

Fully agree with you! We are 30 minutes from Brighton and in a normal summer would probably book 8+ overnight stays a year in the Marina and also pop down for the day/evening. We won't be touching it with a barge pole right now or for the forseeable future!! But it is the same with beauty spots 5 minutes from our doorstep (rivers/lakes/woods), they are being descended on by the masses and ruining it for the locals who use it as their daily walking routes! They haven't come to use them before yet now they want to come and wreck them for the people that live locally.

Beach

I agree it looks hellish but people still have very little to do. Offices closed, shopping in 90 degrees isn’t exactly fun, no air conditioned cinema‘s open so when its scorching the beach seems a good idea. I’ve no idea what it looks like during a ‘normal’ heatwave, but people are getting to their limits of staying in. I’d be going insane if we weren’t waterskiiers and able to get out of London to ski (and enjoy the lake).

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

I agree it looks hellish but people still have very little to do. Offices closed, shopping in 90 degrees isn’t exactly fun, no air conditioned cinema‘s open so when its scorching the beach seems a good idea. I’ve no idea what it looks like during a ‘normal’ heatwave, but people are getting to their limits of staying in. I’d be going insane if we weren’t waterskiiers and able to get out of London to ski (and enjoy the lake).
But why on EARTH would you sit in a traffic jam for hours? And when you get to your destination, park all over the place and then shit/piss in other people's gardens (as has happened here) let alone dump nappies/drinks cans/portable bbqs on the beach you clearly thought was a desirable destination? If I was living in the middle of a city, I'd head for the park, with a paddling pool etc rather than sit in a hot car for hours on end. I dunno, maybe I'm just grumpy :p

Millie

I love the beach, but have no desire to go right now, because I know several 100s of 1000s of people are flocking there. It's about an hour and a quarter drive to the sea from me, and to be honest I prefer it that way. I like going to the beach/seaside, but wouldn't want to live there because of this kind of stuff... (1000s of people descending on it,) and the fact it's rammed whenever the weather is nice. Plus, it wouldn't be a treat if I lived there.

Living in Cornwall and Devon has to be the pits, because 100s of 1000s of people flock there for practically half of the year, and they don't have the infrastructure for it. I wouldn't like to live down south either, as 100s of 1000s of people flock there too.

Very happy to live deep in the North Staffordshire countryside. Even though it's lovely, not many people come here ... It's very quiet and peaceful :)

And it only takes about an hour and a quarter to get to the sea, if I do want to go.

I echo what @Penguin says... I know people have been restricted to where they can go, and what they can do (for the last 3 months,) but some people are driving 3-4 hours to get to the beach ... like from Birmingham to Bournemouth. WTF is wrong with them? There is so much they can do, and so many places they could get to, and spend time at, without driving 150-200 miles to a bloody beach!

Last edited:

Raffles

It is the law of unintended consequences. Tell people to stay in their homes, pay most people's salary, stop children going to school, warm weather, over zealous councils not opening toilets, people only allowed to have takeaways so more litter,add it all together and there you have it. Add on protests only a few weeks ago and do you blame people going out. Bournemouth is a nightmare traffic and parking at the best of times. I don't agree it is a major incident that is just hysteria again from the local council.

I do however think people should take their litter home including the nasty stuff from no toilets being open and not park irresponsibly but a lot of people in power should have foreseen this happening.

StLouis

Lots of people are completely unimaginative though, I live 5 minutes walk from a beach and it’s rarely busy, certainly not a patch on Bournemouth thankfully but if you go down to the most popular beach 5 minutes drive away it gets rammed with day trippers who leave their shit behind afterwards, why oh why they don’t have the sense to walk further up the coast I don’t know but I’m not complaining as I don’t really want them parking up coaches and leaving rubbish everywhere.

Maloryknox

This was bound to happen. No one in England can travel to Welsh beaches. Lots and lots of people off work and school. No lidos or splash parks open.

So we've ended up with half a million people headed to the south coast, and because they don't know the area they go to the main beaches.

It's been boiling hot. People want to be in the water.

They need to open lidos and splash parks. They need to ristrict travel. And they need to have more publicity about where you can do to enjoy the weather and water, what sort of capacity those places have and twitter updates to say when full or when can take more.

The also just need to open toilets. Surley it's better to just open all the stalls and have people getting close to each other than it is to have people peeing and pooing everywhere. I went out yesterday and the que for the toilet was 45 mins because only 3 of the 5 stalls were open.

CharlieAlphaWhiskey

My daughter went to a beach yesterday with two friends which really annoyed me. We don't live near the coast so it was a couple of hours driving for her to sit on a sweltering beach amongst hundreds of others. Madness, especially given the current situation!