Going to the beach

Gin&ASplashOfTonic

But I honestly don't think "class" has anything to do with it. There's a lax attitude in general towards alcohol and the effects it has with a bit of an eye rolly "what are you like!" Attitude when someone behaves like an idiot through drink, rather than them being held to account and responsible for the fact they're in that state to start with.
I agree. A lot of people seem to just shrug off drunken behaviour, it's not ok.

Hotsoapywater

See, I'm relaxed when it comes to clothes (I do the school run in bondage trousers and have spent a good portion of my life being looked at like a specimen by Grannies in Tesco), however nobody can argue that this 'in supermarkets, leaning over the fruit with sweat dripping from their armpits.' is not disgusting. I don't believe anybody who says they think this is ok.
I'm quite relaxed. It is the lack of awareness of others around them, that behave in this way. A lack of manners and awareness. I wouldn’t impart my bodily fluids on people. Hot flushes are the brain of my life. Cucumber wipes and spritz water, but I do stay home mostly because of it.

Hotsoapywater

Fully agree with you. Yes I may not be able to do anything about it on a plane where the 'rules' don't exist but it would certainly colour my view of someone.

Luckily it is controlled on holiday as you aren't allowed in restaurants (where I go) unless you adhere to the dress code. And thankfully they are strict about it.
I like dress codes. I think we should have more of them.

LadyMuck

I agree. A lot of people seem to just shrug off drunken behaviour, it's not ok.
I also agree. It’s the automatic linking of the increase in that behaviour to the affordability of flights (and hence the increasing number of “poorer” passengers) that I can’t get on board with (no pun intended!).

Gin&ASplashOfTonic

I also agree. It’s the automatic linking of the increase in that behaviour to the affordability of flights (and hence the increasing number of “poorer” passengers) that I can’t get on board with (no pun intended!).
A friend of mine regularly flies business and first class and he said he's seen some bad behaviour, but not nearly as often. Although having used budget airlines for many years now dong the Spain/UK routes I have seen an increase in drunken behaviour over the years. To ignore the affordability of flights being a factor, not the only factor but one of them, is not realistic.

Hotsoapywater

I don't understand where low income and behaviours ever came into the thread. Apart from those that have translated it to this. We are a low income household. My h and I dont get pissed on planes. In fact, my h doesn't drink at all. In 30 years, I've known him to have a drink at our daughters wedding and a beer when we were last on holiday.

1eyedcoot

Love the pun.
I didn't see the link between the behaviour outlined and poorer passengers and can see why that's caused upset. It's more the link to having more to spend on alcohol and those who chose to do so, thereby inflicting that choice and lack of self control on everyone else that is the main issue that I can see.

Because of the low cost of flights, the general acceptance of drunken behaviour, lack of accountability (as mentioned recently), general consideration etc, it makes for a miserable and at times, quite anxious journey.

This is seen across the board, everywhere - it's just amplified on flights because, it's an enclosed space. It's the same every summer and festive season. Sun and Christmas do's just seem to be a signal that people can go nuts - based on "having a good time" or "enjoying themselves" and not take into account other people their behaviour is having an impact on.

Fin

I don't find Ryanair cheap either. By the time everything is added in, it ends up being more expensive. Easyjet are a nice airline. They manage affordability with good service. Air Berlin were an excellent low cost airline.
You're right Soapy, I have been idly browsing and pricing holidays and flights recently and Ryanair are the only airline flying to a destination from our local airport. Out of curiosity I priced flights with them and they were very expensive. I wouldn't dream of booking with them anyway.

LadyMuck

Is Ryanair the one with the music?
I used to fly easyJet quite often, as I spent some time living in Cyprus it was the only way I could afford to get home to see family.

MistressOfRestraint

Is Ryanair the one with the music?
I used to fly easyJet quite often, as I spent some time living in Cyprus it was the only way I could afford to get home to see family.
Do you mean the fanfare they used to play on landing? They’ve stopped that now I think.

We used to have the option of Flybe, which was a lovely airline. It couldn’t compete with Ryanair and EasyJet on cost but I was so sorry it failed.

Fin

We've flown EasyJet to Greece from LGW in the past and one time our flight from there to our local airport was cancelled so we had to stay overnight, book a flight home from LHR and taxi across there as there were no other flights for 2 days from LGW. We obviously had to pay for all that upfront but to their credit EasyJet refunded us in full for everything pretty sharpish

Raffles

I have just managed to read through the posts from last night. @StripeySpots no matter how you interpreted my post, making personal insults in subsequent posts is not nice to read by anyone especially those on the receiving end of them.

We all have differing opinions and we all appreciate the discussion elements of this thread and others, but I certainly do not enjoy or will accept accusations in posts about me or others when they are simply not true especially when an "ism" is involved.