Going to the beach

CharlieAlphaWhiskey

I also agree. It’s the automatic linking of the increase in that behaviour to the affordability of flights (and hence the increasing number of “poorer” passengers) that I can’t get on board with (no pun intended!).
I think drunken behaviour on budget flights has nothing at all to do with "poorer" passengers. Budget airlines are increasingly the choice for hen and stag groups who want to spend maximum time drinking and "having fun" with total disregard to the well-being of other people on board the aircraft. The groups are often three sheets to the wind before they even get on the plane and just get louder and more raucous as time goes on. They're just as likely to be on good incomes but they want to spend as little as possible on their tickets so that they have more cash for alcohol.

For the record, I'd never fly Ryanair either. I'm not anti-Irish, I'm anti-bad service. I work in the travel industry so not basing this just on personal experience.

Buzzcat

Well I am pleased to report we had a lovely walk on the beach last week. We went at low tide and there were about 20 people over a mile of beach. Plus a similar number of dogs. This is probably because in Nofolk in summer dogs are banned from the central beaches, so we had to walk a couple of hundred yards to the dog beaches.

My dog and her mates failing with the social distancing.....!!!

Attachments

Raffles

Well I am pleased to report we had a lovely walk on the beach last week. We went at low tide and there were about 20 people over a mile of beach. Plus a similar number of dogs. This is probably because in Nofolk in summer dogs are banned from the central beaches, so we had to walk a couple of hundred yards to the dog beaches.

I don't know for their size the dogs look like they have their social distancing just right! Lovely photo, they seem to be having a lovely time.

Buzzcat

I don't know for their size the dogs look like they have their social distancing just right! Lovely photo, they seem to be having a lovely time.
They did. Mine is a bit of a wuss and scared of the actual sea, but she loves the pools. Because I don’t drive, we usually only get to go to the woods or beach with other people. So for most of lockdown it’s been the park only. This was a rare treat. We all, including the dogs had a restorative ice cream afterwards.

Hotsoapywater

I have just managed to read through the posts from last night. @StripeySpots no matter how you interpreted my post, making personal insults in subsequent posts is not nice to read by anyone especially those on the receiving end of them.

Oh look at those three gorgeous.

Justsayno

I live on the coast and in the popular beaches it’s been rammed apparently. Faeces and rubbish everywhere 😒 The traffic was mayhem, even though there were signs saying it was full (you need to book car park places in an effort to reduce numbers). Still they poured in.
I did go to the beach, I have access to a private one (sounds fancier than it is) but still had beach wankers turn up without permission, sit right next to us (why?) and then walk all over our blanket and let puppy root around in our stuff and pee on someone else’s shoes. I mean, wtf?

To be fair their puppy was the most charming member of their entourage, but when did this trend for such selfish entitled behaviour become a thing? My mother would have had very sharp words with me if I had behaved similarly.
They wandered off whilst attempting to leave their lunch detritus behind and I got all school marm-ish and suggested (nicely) that they take it with them, which to their credit they did.
I understand the urge to visit the beach, particularly if you’re in a land-locked area but the rubbish left is unbelievable. If you managed to bring it with you, I’m sure you can manage to take it away.

Now planning a move to the Isle of Harris...
I googled Isle of Harris and one of the first hits was for the local gin. Now added to my list of things to do on future UK visit. Beaches and gin....

Justsayno

Hands up, I started this, by posting that alcohol shouldn’t be served on short haul flights. I still think that.

For what it’s worth, I fly Ryanair several times a year, not necessarily for reasons of cost, but because it’s the only airline from my local airport whose flight times fit with my onward journey by train. I have no complaints about the service, it’s punctual, which is all I want. However, mine is a popular holiday/stag route, and my heart sinks when I see a bunch of people in matching T shirts or sporting wings 😟.

I’m not worried what people’s reasons are for flying budget, as long as they remember they didn’t charter the whole plane and behave accordingly,
As a Canadian, I'd never seen a "hen" before last year in Barcelona. Truly obnoxious behaviour. Can't imagine being on a flight with them but I'm not sure that preventing alcohol sales would prevent the behaviout, and it would penalize everyone.

Socks

I haven't read the full thread.

Have to be truthful here, i've never had bad service from RA (touch wood) and i've flown with them countless times I do accept they are purely a seat in the sky and to be honest would avoid travelling over about 3 hours with them just purely for comfort for my husband whose tall and built, the customer service from them was better than I had with Thomas Cook and TUI with exception of the really annoying trying to flog you a game of something. Even when travelling to stag/hen destinations, so Dublin Budapest Prague etc i've luckily never experienced bad behavior, to be honest i've witnessed more bad behavior on Longer Haul flights where theres a complimentary bar service.

carajames

Just playing catch up...

Regarding so called low cost airlines aka “no frills” flights, lots of people make the decision to use them especially within the UK because it simply makes sense. Even business people use the EasyJet shuttle from Edinburgh to London, for instance, all the time.

Just because you opt to use this perfectly acceptable service doesn’t mean you are “working class” or poor or not able to afford alternatives!

Fin

We've used EasyJet for flights to London a lot in the past and once to Greece and they were pretty good and always great staff. However they've pulled internal flights from our local airport to LGW which is a pain as now there are no flights to there.

MistressOfRestraint

Just playing catch up...

Regarding so called low cost airlines aka “no frills” flights, lots of people make the decision to use them especially within the UK because it simply makes sense. Even business people use the EasyJet shuttle from Edinburgh to London, for instance, all the time.

Just because you opt to use this perfectly acceptable service doesn’t mean you are “working class” or poor or not able to afford alternatives!
I think this thread has unintentionally revealed some sensitivities.

I use Ryanair and EasyJet all the time. I’m not mad keen on some of my fellow passengers but it has nothing to do with what class they might be or what they can afford, (how would I know either of these?) it’s about how they behave in public. I think most people feel the same don't they?

carajames

I have never found my fellow passengers on EasyJet and Co to be any different from passengers on other carriers. I have clearly been lucky.

We fly from Edinburgh so maybe that has a bearing.