Have you ever been under charged for something and not said anything?

Duchessofmanchester

Kind of based on a batshit thread on the other side....Have you ever been under charged for an item and not said a word?
I once bought an underwear set and was only charged for the knickers
Also had a coat go through for 6.00 less at the till. To be fair the 7 looked like a 1 on the label.

Never said a word both times and walked straight out.

Hiyaitsme

Yes it has happened to me several times and I go out smiling. It is almost always assistants who are chatting to others as they serve me or just obviously not concentrating on their job. Being given change for a twenty when I only gave them a ten, the temptation to keep it is too great for me.

I check every receipt before I leave a store and have been overcharged too so they don't get away with that. If it is pennies I don't bother but if it is more I make sure it is put right.

Double standards yes and I hold my hands up to that.

1eyedcoot

Ordered 1 special edition large yankee candle jar....and got a second one a few days later - free. I called them and they wanted me to send it back at my own cost. I didn't bother.

Replaced my two front tyres, ordered the pricier of the options, got charged the cheapest option instead, but clearly got the expensive tyres on the car. He'd been mucking me about all day, so I didn't feel guilty when I realised.

Got charged for two bottles of squash, when it was 2 bottles of wine (mis labeled), no one noticed until I got home and looked at the receipt

CharlieAlphaWhiskey

I have done it in the past. If it happens now I make a judgement call based on the person serving me. If they're rude or abrupt then I keep quiet. If it's a youngster whose shy and nervous for example then I'd quietly correct them, but only because my own DD now works in retail and I know she'd get in trouble if her till was under.

MistressOfRestraint

Not exactly undercharged, more not charged at all. The number of things I have arrived home with that I didn’t notice without my glasses, eg chunks of ginger than didn’t go through the check out, tiny packets of dental floss. As I live some miles away from the shops, I’m afraid I’m not prepared to make a special journey to sort it out. Same goes if they overcharge, which they do.

My best was going shopping with daughter in Boots. She very efficiently swept all the items on the counter into my bag while I paid. Unfortunately this included several displayed items on promotion. Finding takers for bottles of headlice treatment isn’t as easy as you’d think, even when you are giving them away.

Hiyaitsme

Not exactly undercharged, more not charged at all. The number of things I have arrived home with that I didn’t notice without my glasses, eg chunks of ginger than didn’t go through the check out, tiny packets of dental floss. As I live some miles away from the shops, I’m afraid I’m not prepared to make a special journey to sort it out. Same goes if they overcharge, which they do.

My best was going shopping with daughter in Boots. She very efficiently swept all the items on the counter into my bag while I paid. Unfortunately this included several displayed items on promotion. Finding takers for bottles of headlice treatment isn’t as easy as you’d think, even when you are giving them away.
So very tempted to call you a nit wit. :)

I remembered another. Home shopping delivery from Asda and the bottle of gin I ordered came with a friend, a second bottle. Thank you Asda.

1eyedcoot

So very tempted to call you a nit wit. :)

I remembered another. Home shopping delivery from Asda and the bottle of gin I ordered came with a friend, a second bottle. Thank you Asda.
I got someones bracelet in my delivery order once. I found out the store the delivery came from and handed it in as it look sentimental.

Itsallaboutmememe

Years ago I was a single mum
i had very little money-and it was my sons birthday
i managed to pull a few quid together and went to Argos to buy him a sit on tractor and another toy (I can’t remember what it was)
Anyway I was very stressed out,trying to deal with all 3 of them at the same time-I gave my slip to the lady but wasn’t really paying much attention to her
i paid,then walked over to the pick up point and collected my goods
it wasn’t until I got home the penny dropped that not only had I not been charged for the tractor but the other toy had come in at less than half price
i used to cash I saved to buy him some more presents

KenCo

Years ago I was a single mum
i had very little money-and it was my sons birthday
i managed to pull a few quid together and went to Argos to buy him a sit on tractor and another toy (I can’t remember what it was)
Anyway I was very stressed out,trying to deal with all 3 of them at the same time-I gave my slip to the lady but wasn’t really paying much attention to her
i paid,then walked over to the pick up point and collected my goods
it wasn’t until I got home the penny dropped that not only had I not been charged for the tractor but the other toy had come in at less than half price
i used to cash I saved to buy him some more presents
How can they not have charged you for it? They would t have picked it if it wasn’t on the order and therefore I your receipt. Great saving though!

Millie

As a previous poster said, it all depends. I know some people who work in retail, and know that if their till is down, they will be responsible. I know someone who worked at McDonalds (though this was 10-12 years ago,) and if their till was more than £5 out, they'd receive a D-merit. (So like a strike against them. I can't remember the exact term they used, but it was something like D-merit.)

When they had three D-merits, they had a first written warning. When they had ANOTHER three, they had a second one, and then after the next three it was the sack. So in most cases, I will hand it back, if there is any extra in my change.

But then again, as a few people have said, if the checkout operator is ignorant, and doesn't acknowledge me, and is chatting to their mate, and then the change is a fiver or tenner extra, I will keep it. (I say a fiver or tenner, because it has never ever been any more than that.)

Most store assistants are lovely and friendly, but now and again, I do encounter one chatting to a colleague or a mate who has popped into to chat, and they just ignore me. This happened one time, when I had bought a £14.99 DVD. She took the 'tag' off and because she was laughing and giggling 'about last night' with her colleague, (and completely ignoring me,) she forgot to scan it. So I got 'La La Land free of charge. Cheers Tesco... (y)

I have also had a few occasions when an item has not been scanned, and I haven't noticed it until I got back to the car (or home.) I generally don't go back. It's usually only a couple of quid's worth, and the checkout operator won't get into trouble. It will just be missing from the stock. Anyone who works in retail will know that all shops and stores etc, will account for so much in lost stock.

Even McDonalds had a book for 'waste and breaks.' A log of all the food that had been wasted - like buns and fries and meat patties that had been dropped on the floor, and food that had gone cool and had to be binned. (And also the food that the staff had had, as they were allowed a small amount of free food for their lunch break. Like a burger, a small fries, and a coke.)

So yeah, I am more likely to hand money back, but not if the assistant is rude and ignorant. And I would probably not judge others for doing keeping stuff, as there is more than likely to be a reason.

Eliza

Those marks in mcds were called T-reds when I worked there, twenty odd years ago.

I bought a little perfume/spray in the supermarket the other day. It wasn't until I got home that I realised the bottle was empty. It was only €1.50 so I didn't want to take it back in case they thought I was cheap and was swapping my old one. But one will be leaving the shop in the bottom of my trolley under my shopping bags, next time I go in there 🤷

FurloughednFucked

Most store assistants are lovely and friendly, but now and again, I do encounter one chatting to a colleague or a mate who has popped into to chat, and they just ignore me.
See, this reminds me of my pet hate when I'm behind the bar. I'm serving a customer, on the till or whatever and someone else shouts over the top of whatever I'm doing because they "Just want to ask a question". I've seen it happen in shops too. No. Wait your turn, it's incredibly rude to shout over the customer I'm serving for me and I just respond with "I'm serving someone else, I'll be with you in a moment" some just keep bloody on though. No manners at all. I don't answer their question until I've completed the customer I'm currently dealing with and apologise to them as well, because it does distract me.

When people are just chatting with friends or colleagues that's annoying, if I need to speak with a colleague I wait until they've finished that customer, and if another approaches we make it clear that we're not just chatting but needing to share/pass on important information about a situation etc at that moment and won't be a minute.

I generally don't notice mistakes unless it's a large amount but if I do I point it out.
My daughter still remembers when she was holding some cat litter as the basket was full and I forgot and the assistant didn't notice, so we didn't pay for it. I realised when we got home and went back to pay, but that was my local little shop I used every day, I wouldn't if it'd been a way away.

Otters Rule

Those marks in mcds were called T-reds when I worked there, twenty odd years ago.

I bought a little perfume/spray in the supermarket the other day. It wasn't until I got home that I realised the bottle was empty. It was only €1.50 so I didn't want to take it back in case they thought I was cheap and was swapping my old one. But one will be leaving the shop in the bottom of my trolley under my shopping bags, next time I go in there 🤷
What if your plan to smuggle out a replacement were to go tits up, all for €1.50?

Eliza

What if your plan to smuggle out a replacement were to go tits up, all for €1.50?
I'd just pretend I missed it when taking stuff out of the trolley 🤷

Tbh I probably won't bother, Mr Eliza is going to get me some perfume on the ferry when he comes back from the UK.