Hermes - why are they so shit?

Divgirl

Why are Hermes so shit? I am loath to call them a delivery company because they never deliver anything without a great deal of effort on my part.

They can never find my address, despite living in a flat in a large city. The number is on the building, the flat number is on the buzzer, the address is the standard format for Glasgow (which might be tricky if you were delivering from Leeds but presumably they are delivering to other flats in Glasgow if they're round my bit).

They're impossible to get hold of to try to fix issues (I've been trying since Friday when I tracked the parcel by chance, they didn't email me to tell me there was an issue).

Sorry, I don't really need opinions because I've never met anyone who doesn't hate them I'm just really annoyed that my beautiful burgundy hi-top vans are going to be sent back to footlocker because "there is an issue" with my address. Aye, the issue is you're shite.

Fin

I hear you Div, I have had dreadful trouble with them in the past and my heart sinks when I order something and see it's being delivered by Hermes. However I have had a couple of things delivered by them since lockdown and amazingly they have arrived on time. In the past when they have been shit I tweeted them my disgust and they sorted things out.

Gavlar

I hear you Div, I have had dreadful trouble with them in the past and my heart sinks when I order something and see it's being delivered by Hermes. However I have had a couple of things delivered by them since lockdown and amazingly they have arrived on time. In the past when they have been shit I tweeted them my disgust and they sorted things out.
I bought a custom made garden bench that didn’t turn up thanks to Hermes 😳. I actually got a refund eventually and bought one from somewhere else.

• Wow
Reactions: Fin

1eyedcoot

We had that, we called the company we ordered the converse from, cancelled the order due to no delivery, told them why and funnily enough, they were with us within a couple of days.

DouceFrance

Why are Hermes so shit? I am loath to call them a delivery company because they never deliver anything without a great deal of effort on my part.

They can never find my address, despite living in a flat in a large city. The number is on the building, the flat number is on the buzzer, the address is the standard format for Glasgow (which might be tricky if you were delivering from Leeds but presumably they are delivering to other flats in Glasgow if they're round my bit).

They're impossible to get hold of to try to fix issues (I've been trying since Friday when I tracked the parcel by chance, they didn't email me to tell me there was an issue).

Sorry, I don't really need opinions because I've never met anyone who doesn't hate them I'm just really annoyed that my beautiful burgundy hi-top vans are going to be sent back to footlocker because "there is an issue" with my address. Aye, the issue is you're shite.
oh no! Not the vans!! You were so happy to get those. Send footlocker an email and explain. It’s rubbish! ☹

StrawberryCat

I haven't had a problem with Hermes in the 8 years I have been at this address. Same driver almost all the time. Until last week when my delivery was marked as signed by householder but it wasn't. It didn't arrive and no-one rang the bell. It seems to be happening all over.

I will never send anything via Hermes or Yodel because I have read about how bad they are elsewhere. My bad experiences have been with DPD and one of the others can't remember the name but I won't buy stuff if they are marked as the courier.

StrawberryCat

I had a pair of expensive boots abandoned in a restaurant on the High St. by DPD, he could have actually dropped the package in the correct building as he stopped the van in the right place. I had to track it down by checking the website for the signature, work out it was an Italian name and send someone in to ask for it because it was clear no-one was going to bring it round the corner.

The other company (name will come to me eventually) rang the bell, left a card and ran off. The tracking on the card where the parcel was 'delivered' was in Scotland. I am in London. Wish I could remember which company it was, have taken deliveries for neighbours from them and the driver was rude.

Boudicea1

My local Hermes delivery driver is fantastic. She never fails to deliver and will always call back if no one is in. She also lives local, so that helps.

There is good and bad in ALL delivery companies - I have had more bad experiences with RM.

StrawberryCat

Yodel threw a parcel over the office gate on a weekend, it was obvious the place was closed. Would have been safe. Except it poured with rain all weekend, heavily.

I have also had no problems with Yodel since we moved here, we seem to get the same drivers for Yodel and Hermes most of the time.

Odd problems with the postmen though, they get our address mixed up with the next road, similar name, so have got to know the people at the same number due to swapping parcels over. New ones are the problem though, posting recorded delivery packets through next door without getting a signature.

Cinnamon Square

My bad experiences have been with DPD
Hermes and Yodel are also notoriously awful in my area. Yodel is perennially shit and hermes is just so hit and miss - sometime delivered with no issues, sometimes thrown into the hedge, sometime doesn't appear at all.

DPD are now my favourite. I have only ever had one issue with them - waiting in all day for delivery and at about 5pm the tracking showed up as "delivery attempted, returning to depot" or something along those lines. Delivery was not fucking attempted, I had the front door in my line of sight all bloody day! So I rang, but being after 5pm no one answered so I left an upset voicemail. Then I also emailed and said I have been in all day, you had better get that driver to turn around and get my parcel back here. And they did. He was back within the hour and I had my parcel. Never had a problem before or since and when I did they sorted it pronto! The app is also brilliant.

I'll stop fangirling over DPD now 😂

CrochetCookies

Our Hermes delivery guy here is excellent, but I think that's got everything to do with him and nothing to do with the company he works for. He's an absolute gem. Generally speaking I avoid Yodel and wouldn't use Hermes to delivery anywhere else, or indeed if our local guy stopped delivering here.

Cercles

Dpd I find are great, you can see exactly where the driver is and pretty accurately know when they're going to arrive. Why don't they all do that?

Hermes left a parcel in my bush, I didn't find it until weeks later by chance and already had the amount refunded. I kept quiet 😅

Moogle

Hermes left a parcel in my bush, I didn't find it until weeks later by chance and already had the amount refunded. I kept quiet 😅
Not the only one haha. Been a couple of times my parcels had arrived so late I gave up and asked for a refund, only for them to turn up a week later.

I find DPD great though. Always get the same driver, am on first name terms with him now, as he is usually treated to me answering the door while telling the dog I didnt ask for her opinion.

Hermes, if its the local driver, is good. The out of town ones are less good.

FurloughednFucked

To be honest most delivery services I use aren't great. I use click and collect in the main now.
Except the local post lady, she's great.

It's partly to do with being in a large house split into two flats with separate entrances, I can see the confusion could arise. So I set out to fix that by putting the correct flat address on the gate, and by the door.
I still get everything for downstairs, despite having that, and despite both me and neighbours ensuring we put delivery notes on explaining for any delivery we get.
Even TV licensing ballsed up and were demanding I didn't have a license and threatened me with cgourt, I had a licence for my address, downstairs have one for their address, but they kept insisting that my address on their system (that was wrong) wasn't licenced (because I licenced my correct address) that was a fun conversation!

I've often had parcels returned to sender as my address not existing, when it's there, on the gate and matches the address on the parcel.

It's amazing how many people don't actually know the difference between ground floor and first floor!

Camille Bordey

I dread ordering something and then discovering that it's going to be delivered by Hermes.

I find DPD great as well. Probably helps that it's been the same driver for years and he's a really jolly man who's on first name terms with pretty much everyone in the area now.

Ashen

My local Hermes delivery driver is fantastic. She never fails to deliver and will always call back if no one is in. She also lives local, so that helps.

There is good and bad in ALL delivery companies - I have had more bad experiences with RM.
Our one is quite good, grumpy, but I think she is thawing a bit

But yes Hermes is totally shit

realitychick

From what I can gather, the pay is shit at these courier companies. Which doesn't at all excuse people not doing their jobs properly - a day's work for a day's pay etc - but I do feel their staff would be more motivated to deliver better service if they were paid properly.