How do you make Amazon recommendations good?

V

visitor

I am so, so sick of everything in my Amazon recommendations list being a “gripping psychological thriller with a shocking twist” or “the most heartbreaking thing you’ll read this year”. Apart from anything else, the twists are never that shocking, and my heart remains unmoved. I don’t want each book I read to be the same as the last three. I like variety, the only criteria I have is that it needs to be neither vacuous nor turgid and worthy. I thought searching under “literary fiction” would work, but that’s started churning out just as much crap as all the other categories. Has anyone found a reliable way of getting good recommendations?

V

visitor

I am so, so sick of everything in my Amazon recommendations list being a “gripping psychological thriller with a shocking twist” or “the most heartbreaking thing you’ll read this year”. Apart from anything else, the twists are never that shocking, and my heart remains unmoved. I don’t want each book I read to be the same as the last three. I like variety, the only criteria I have is that it needs to be neither vacuous nor turgid and worthy. I thought searching under “literary fiction” would work, but that’s started churning out just as much crap as all the other categories. Has anyone found a reliable way of getting good recommendations?
All I get is yarn recommendations. ?

Don't they base on what you have ordered previously? Some odd algorithm that matches you with something you wouldn't likely purchase in a zillion years?

V

visitor

I have just checked my amazon and here are two suggestions on my page inspired by my shopping trends. WTF?? I think they have me mixed up with someone else, I wouldn't be seen deid in Crocs (apologies to all croc wearers ?) and the rubbing alcohol ??‍♀️. God knows what algorithm they used to come up with those.

CB29A4BD-6A87-4923-98C3-A4FC3A7ACD10.jpeg

V

visitor

Maybe look on other sites such as Goodreads or Bookbub. Also, Richard and Judy bookclub.

V

visitor

All I get is yarn recommendations. ?

Don't they base on what you have ordered previously? Some odd algorithm that matches you with something you wouldn't likely purchase in a zillion years?

I get mostly moogle and final fantasy related recommendations. Sometimes yarn, knitting needles and cross stitch.

V

visitor

I just read “What I’m Reading” threads on forums. Datalounge, for example, turned me on to Donna Tartt many years ago. When I had more time, I used to browse bookstores. I found many interesting novels this way.

V

visitor

i think it’s based on everything you buy so all the gifts you buy as well...makes for some interesting recommendations.

V

visitor

i think it’s based on everything you buy so all the gifts you buy as well...makes for some interesting recommendations.

I'm sure there is a way to stop it making recommendations based on certain past purchases and things you've looked at - which is handy if you have people who like to send you links to things that youd be best buying from... elsewhere.