I'm doing an experiment with CV's.

Hotsoapywater

I'd not done a CV for two decades. I had to get my sister in law to do mine. I've had one job and I'm 52. Despite the job being for 20 + years.

But because I had moved across departments, she managed to make me look quite good.

So had two interviews although applied for one job. Cabinet Office asked me if I'd like to apply for another one as they required a German speaker.

I was happy to go local, so I'm not sure about this one. Will see how I go next week. Things have changed vastly from when I first moved her and I walked into a job. But the facts are that while I developed skills within procurement, I'm in exactly the same position as I was 23 years ago.

Thinking of you, Coot. We need a CV writing club.

OP
OP
1eyedcoot

1eyedcoot

Thank you Soapy.

I agree, a C.V writing club sounds great.

Good luck in your interviews, you've done amazamazingly well to get that far in this climate. Well done xx

bad.sandra

When I went back to work after the children, I found that putting down voluntary roles as well as paid employment helped me seem a bit more interesting and experienced - even though my voluntary stuff was helping out at toddler group once a week, an afternoon in the Oxfam shop, sorting and pricing their vintage clothing donations, and occasionally setting questions for the local pub quiz. But with a bit of careful and imaginative wording, it made it look like my years of being knee deep in baby sick and nappies were actually incredibly productive and useful.

Good luck to everyone job seeking.

OP
OP
1eyedcoot

1eyedcoot

Well,

Someone took an interest in my CV, it's just a shame it's an hour and a halfs drive away - on a good day.
He did say that I was almost perfect for what he was looking for and it's a shame it's just not doable.

I've thanked him for that last email as I was getting downhearted about it all, and it's nice to know it's not my CV that's the problem, it's just the current situation. It may not be the outcome I was looking for, BUT its a boost that I needed.

Seeitnowsorted

Aw @1eyedcoot i feel your pain. I was picked up by an agency that put me forward for a perfect job last year - salary would have been a 50% increase, great working conditions, training was top class........only where it was sited whilst only 30 miles away was the wrong side of a city with no other route except through the middle so would have been travelling 4 hours every day. I asked about wfh and was told ‘only if the road is shut’.
Having to say I couldn’t go any further with the application a day or so later was heartbreaking but I had no option, chances come by so rarely, and yes I cried

ThistledownHair

It’s good that you’ve had that positive feedback @1eyedcoot. Definitely a bit of a confidence boost.

I’ve been looking at jobs further afield but once I factor in the need to work around school and childcare, it just doesn’t become possible. There must be so many women who are hamstrung by caring limitations when it comes to jobs.

OP
OP
1eyedcoot

1eyedcoot

It’s good that you’ve had that positive feedback @1eyedcoot. Definitely a bit of a confidence boost.

I’ve been looking at jobs further afield but once I factor in the need to work around school and childcare, it just doesn’t become possible. There must be so many women who are hamstrung by caring limitations when it comes to jobs.
I wish I could say it was caring limitations - it's just too long a day. I'll be leaving the house at 6am, and wont get home until gone 7pm. I did it for a year whilst on placement and I struggled with it. The route I would have to take would almost be impossible in the winter months as all three routes are either closed or have traffic jams, train is far too expensive and staying away during the week is not an option.

OP
OP
1eyedcoot

1eyedcoot

Interview for internship went ok - I'm not hopeful though. Had some tough questions, but was honest in saying that I'm not sure as it's an area I don't have experience in.
Oh well, on wards and upwards.

Will hear feedback through Uni at some point.

RomaniEuntDomus

There must be so many women who are hamstrung by caring limitations when it comes to jobs.
That is actually the key to it. We have families, mortgages and lives outside work. We can't just up sticks and move to the other side of the county (or world) at a moment's notice to work in a job that pays tuppence ha'penny. By the time the mortgage is paid off, the kids have jobs themselves and the elderly parents are, erm, no longer your responsibility, you're 'too old' for most employers and they treat you like you stink of piss, even though you're more competent and reliable than 90% of the youngsters they take on.

The estate agent who showed us round a house we were interested in was older, early sixties at least, and she was by far the most clued up of the agents we've met.

OP
OP
1eyedcoot

1eyedcoot

DIdn't get the internship - apparently other candidates had sent emails about the position and I should have done the same instead of asking questions such as "how is it exactly would you like me to contribute to the group?" "What is the project that I'm to be assisting in and how are we going to monitor the efftiveness of any ideas brought to the table?"

What's the point in asking if I have any questions if I'm not supposed to be asking them, but ask before I've even got an interview? Why is it all so complicated and when did the rules change?

OP
OP
1eyedcoot

1eyedcoot

I don't think so either. Still, just got an email for an interview on the taching qualification course - so if the worst comes to the worst - I'll be in teacher training soon enough....Must look at how that's going to get funded.

Seeitnowsorted

DIdn't get the internship - apparently other candidates had sent emails about the position and I should have done the same instead of asking questions such as "how is it exactly would you like me to contribute to the group?" "What is the project that I'm to be assisting in and how are we going to monitor the efftiveness of any ideas brought to the table?"

What's the point in asking if I have any questions if I'm not supposed to be asking them, but ask before I've even got an interview? Why is it all so complicated and when did the rules change?
Fuck ‘em - it would have been a Crap job anyway, and they were not worth you!

OP
OP
1eyedcoot

1eyedcoot

Fuck ‘em - it would have been a Crap job anyway, and they were not worth you!
My thoughts exactly, it was only a temporary part time position anyway and there's another 4 jobs I need to hear back from yet.
I've decided, after my dinner, I'm going to have a bath, get into something cool, watch Downton Abby film on sky and eat my hidden chocolate biscuits.

Seeitnowsorted

My thoughts exactly, it was only a temporary part time position anyway and there's another 4 jobs I need to hear back from yet.
I've decided, after my dinner, I'm going to have a bath, get into something cool, watch Downton Abby film on sky and eat my hidden chocolate biscuits.
Now that sounds like a plan!!!!