J K Rowling. Transphobic or not?

POLL: Is J K Rowling transphobic for saying 'you should say WOMEN, not 'people who menstruate?!'

• NO, she is not transphobic, and she is in the right

Votes: 186 94.4%
  • YES, she is transphobic, and is in the wrong

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Not sure/don't know.

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters

Millie

So many people on the internet - especially Twitter - have lambasted J K Rowling, and called her transphobic, because she objected to someone saying 'people who menstruate.' She said basically 'you mean women then?'

So, is she transphobic, and in the wrong here?

Or did she have every right to state this, and is actually in the right?

Personally, I don't think she has said anything wrong.

Last edited:

ThistledownHair

I’ve had a look at her recent tweets and she is just sticking to facts. The TRA contingent have been gunning for her for a while and I’m not surprised they are releasing their invective at her.

Good for her for coming out and being honest about what she thinks.

IdleWorm

She’s right, and this is a hill I’m prepared to die on. “Woman” is not a feeling to be appropriated, or a set of behaviours to be aped. You either are one or you aren’t, whether you like it or not. If you are one, you can make it into whatever you want your life to be, and you will have my support. If you aren’t one, you don’t get to muscle in on our battles and make them all about you.

Pearl

She’s right.

It’s weird - i find that really hard to say. I’m in my early twenties and I know for a fact that my peer group would leave me out to dry if they saw me saying this. But she IS right. To say ‘person who menstruates’ is to remove the one thing belonging to womanhood. it’s modern day erasure of women and I am disgusted by it. I don’t have trans peers but I would be entirely supportive of them if I did - so long as the female position wasn’t being usurped for them.

I’ve never understood why trans women HAVE TO use the women’s bathrooms for example. I know in a few cases the need for a trans woman to use the female bathroom is important (whether that be sexually or purely to ease dysphoria). (plus: there was a long old struggle to get disabled-only bathrooms installed, and I don’t think it’s fair that disabled spaces are left for trans people either). If the men have a protected space, the women have a protected space, and disabled people have a protected space then there should be a ‘trans’ bathroom too IMO. A lot of trans people on twitter are coming up with the ‘oh, but I just want to pee’ and I understand that. I’d like to think the vast majority of trans women are good and kind. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that if things stay as they are, with people allowed to proclaim they’re a woman and get access to a female space, there will be people who take advantage. As a vulnerable disabled woman I can’t just bank on everybody having good intentions. 🤷🏻‍♀️

HoneyBearTree

I hate having this conversation with my teen. He calls me transphobic because I have said this as well as it's only women who can give birth. Men don't so all those articles you see about pregnant men are wrong.

I have nothing against transpeople but I do have a problem with people trying to devalue women.

OP
OP
Millie

Millie

She’s right.

It’s weird - i find that really hard to say. I’m in my early twenties and I know for a fact that my peer group would leave me out to dry if they saw me saying this. But she IS right. To say ‘person who menstruates’ is to remove the one thing belonging to womanhood. it’s modern day erasure of women and I am disgusted by it. I don’t have trans peers but I would be entirely supportive of them if I did - so long as the female position wasn’t being usurped for them.

I’ve never understood why trans women HAVE TO use the women’s bathrooms for example. I know in a few cases the need for a trans woman to use the female bathroom is important (whether that be sexually or purely to ease dysphoria). (plus: there was a long old struggle to get disabled-only bathrooms installed, and I don’t think it’s fair that disabled spaces are left for trans people either). If the men have a protected space, the women have a protected space, and disabled people have a protected space then there should be a ‘trans’ bathroom too IMO. A lot of trans people on twitter are coming up with the ‘oh, but I just want to pee’ and I understand that. I’d like to think the vast majority of trans women are good and kind. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that if things stay as they are, with people allowed to proclaim they’re a woman and get access to a female space, there will be people who take advantage. As a vulnerable disabled woman I can’t just bank on everybody having good intentions. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I agree. Very well put ^

Having periods is pretty horrible for some women, and not pleasant for ANY. So for anyone to suggest transwomen menstruate is just an insult to 'CIS women' (women who were born female, and remain female,) who have to suffer the beastly bloody things for the best part of 40 years.

I hate having this conversation with my teen. He calls me transphobic because I have said this as well as it's only women who can give birth. Men don't so all those articles you see about pregnant men are wrong.

I have nothing against transpeople but I do have a problem with people trying to devalue women.
Also, very well put. And I agree with all your points too.

horsesgallore

I find it extraordinary that people who claim that being a woman was the wrong thing for them and transition to being a man then go on to have a baby. If your body is so repulsive to you as a woman, why are you hanging on to your womb and ovaries, then carrying a child? I just can't get my head around this at all.

I have known a few trans women thanks to a previous job and I have to say, out of them all, there was one that I would have said was genuine. The others were there to perv over asking a woman to fit them for a bra and trying to make you as uncomfortable as they possibly could. One of them even admitted to me that they were a sex offender and wore a tag. A lot of our staff were young women, just left school, or about to leave school and these guys knew it. They all, bar that one, had kept their penis.

I'm behind JK Rowling 100%!

DropZoneOne

"People" don't menstruate. Only biological women menstruate, no matter what their outward presentation may be.

I buy from Modibodi. I'm actually quite annoyed that their teen range is described as being for "young people" whilst introducing a range for men. So the men's product is for incontinent men (not people with a penis) whilst the teen range is for people with periods. I will call them out on their hypocrisy - either all of their products are for people or they are sex-specific.

I don't believe I'm transphobic - wear what you want, call yourself what you want, take whatever hormones you want - but I am annoyed that it's women's products and spaces being impacted whilst men's are not.

'CIS women'
I know you put this in quotes, but this term angers me. I am not a Cis anything. I am a woman. Biological female. I am not a subset of woman.

Last edited:

Hotsoapywater

I'm not sure that 'transphobia' is a thing. It is rather like 'white privilege' which is slung around on the internet. Does anybody actually use these words in their day to day life? I don't.

However, JKR is someone that has entered the fight for women's rights to their spaces and entitlements. It is less than 60 years ago that doctors had to seek the signature of a womans husband to perform a hysterectomy. Women have t had the right to choose their own gynecological medical interventions for very long, I wholly support that blokes in fucking dresses who think they are more of a woman than I am because they have what, a pair of high heels?

JKR is fantastic and I hope she tears this down in a court. She has the money to do so. Whoever had taken her on, is foolish.

OP
OP
Millie

Millie

I'm not sure that 'transphobia' is a thing. It is rather like 'white privilege' which is slung around on the internet. Does anybody actually use these words in their day to day life? I don't.
Yeah I don't hear much of it in real life either. Only from the 'woke' far-left! Twitter is full of toxic 'woke'lefties. They make my blood boil sometimes.

"People" don't menstruate. Only biological women menstruate, no matter what their outward presentation may be.

I buy from Modibodi. I'm actually quite annoyed that their teen range is described as being for "young people" whilst introducing a range for men. So the men's product is for incontinent men (not people with a penis) whilst the teen range is for people with periods. I will call them out on their hypocrisy - either all of their products are for people or they are sex-specific.

I don't believe I'm transphobic - wear what you want, call yourself what you want, take whatever hormones you want - but I am annoyed that it's women's products and spaces being impacted whilst men's are not.

I know you put this in quotes, but this term angers me. I am not a Cis anything. I am a woman. Biological female. I am not a subset of woman.
It angers me too ... :confused: that is why I said 'cis women' (in quotes,) because I don't buy that phrase either. I am a woman. That's it, a woman.

And no you are not transphobic for saying what you're saying. (y) And I agree with everything you say.

MishMash

“People who menstruate” is a really stupid phrase.
I’m a woman. I don’t menstruate because I had a hysterectomy. I’m not any less of a woman because of that fact.
However, while not all biological women menstruate, it is a fact that in order to menstruate you must be biologically female.
Biological sex and gender are totally different things. It’s as simple as that.

DouceFrance

Fuck of the lot of them! Sorry for being rude but it fucks me off so much... menstruation for me was, up until I had the kids, the worse part for me, unbelievable pain, almost to the point of fainting, terrible cramps. We’re being taxed for having to use disgusting disposable products made of plastic and scented (who the fuck for?) that amalgamation like mishmash said is hurtful for people like her who had a histerectomy, 2 of my dear friends have had to have them, does that mean they are not women anymore because they don’t menstruate? What about the people who are post menopausal? If you are biologically a male, nope you don’t have periods, you have hormones that you inject that vary, you can call it that if it makes you feel more womanly but it isn’t... I’m also fed up with the gender stereotypes this reinforces. I try to teach my kids that things haven’t for a gender, that pink isn’t a girls colour, that colour don’t have genders, that my girl can be what she wants to do and if she wants to do something that is deemed masculine, fuck’em! As long as she is happy, same with my boy, if they happen to be gay, so be it, I don’t care as long as they are happy. But I will not reinforce gender stereotypes!
sorry that was a long rant..and yes she is right 😁

Moogle

She’s right.

My peers would have a field day with me if they found out I agreed with JK Rowlings stance.

I have absolutely no problem with GENUINE transgender people. I know several through various online communities. I know how one of them in particular has struggled to get to the point where she has now had breast implants, and actually does want the gender reassignment surgery to remove the genitalia.

Then theres the complete opposite to this, a trans woman (again male to female) who thinks nothing of saying stuff like "I'm [name], I'm an [age] female from [country]" in the most feminine voice she can muster rapidly followed by reverting to normal manly voice with "And I have a penis".

It's the men who claim to be female to access womens spaces, trample over women's rights, people like my second example who make a mockery out of the situation for all genuine transgendered people.

I will call people by their preferred pronouns, I have no problem with this. I have often asked people their preferred pronouns on behalf of friends who are just far too scared to ask in case they get branded as all sorts of things.

And yes the "people who menstruate" thing pisses me off too.

DouceFrance

Don’t get me wrong I have no issues either, one of my bosses was transgender, I was working from her house and it took me a long time to realise she was transgender, I just thought she was fairly big boned, not even masculine and I had absolutely no issues with that.

It’s the appropriation, the segregation and stereotypes that annoy me.

Moogle

Don’t get me wrong I have no issues either, one of my bosses was transgender, I was working from her house and it took me a long time to realise she was transgender, I just thought she was fairly big boned, not even masculine and I had absolutely no issues with that.
Back in the late end of the 90s early 2000's, we had a transgender vet. I just thought she was like me, large framed, but it wasnt until the spiteful small town idiots started hounding her, that I realised that she was trans. She was a lovely woman, and a great vet, and ultimately thanks to the bigots, ended up leaving the town.