Just started on Duolingo - what languages have you been learning?

A

AfternoonTeaForTwo

What language have you been learning?
I've been brushing up on my school French and fancy trying Italian and Spanish next.

V

visitor

I'm learning Spanish.

I did French and German at school and I know bits of Italian as well, so fancied something completely different.

Are you using Duolingo too?

A

AfternoonTeaForTwo

Yes. It's really good.

I was always a bit embarassed of my attempts to speak it at school in front of the class but in the comforts of my own home I can channel my best Yvette ?

Last edited:
V

visitor

I am relearning Spanish. It’s been 33 years but some of it is coming back to me.

V

visitor

Spanish. I've been doing it quite a while. Very embarrassed by the grammatical error in my username!

V

visitor

How are people finding it? I’m on my third week of it today and it’s starting to make a bit more sense at last!

V

visitor

Currently trying to learn German; I'm keeping my fingers(and everything else)crossed that I can go to Berlin in July.

V

visitor

I started french and did well with it. Purely based on my pipe dream of having a villa in Paris when I retire (although am in my twenties and only just stepping into the world of work so I’m sure I have plenty of time to practise haha! ?)
Tried Russian for a boy I fancied module at school - so hard. Welsh was fun too, unlocked everything I learned at school and thought I’d forgotten!

V

visitor

I started learning Bulgarian a few years ago. I loved it. Not on Duolingo though. There is something satisfying about being able to read their alphabet (Cyrillic)

V

visitor

I really fancy learning German.
Is duolingo good?
What does it cost?

Duolingo is good for the basics. I'm lucky that I have several friends who are native German speakers, plus my favourite band sing exclusively in the language. That's a big help.

You can pay to go ad-free on Duolingo, plus that option gives you the chance to speak with others in the language you're learning.

V

visitor

Italian. Take it with a pinch of salt as my other half is Italian and he is like WTF we would never use that word. I have also been studying it at evening classes.

V

visitor

Doing some Dutch on there. It’s ok but not a patch on babbel. I do already know some conversational level Dutch so I’m a bit annoyed the duo lingo lessons aren’t more of what you would encounter day to day

V

visitor

I had a go at learning Irish - fancied trying something different. Really enjoyed it but found the lack of grammar explanations annoying. I think you do need them when learning a new language, especially one which has markedly different structures.
Would love to brush up my German.

V

visitor

I'm brushing up on my French that I learned in school. The spoken French is quite good. I'm also trying to refresh my Irish but there isn't enough of the course material there spoken, so you really don't know how to pronounce the words (if you haven't been forced to learn the language in school in Ireland for years). I find that disappointing. I'm also trying to learn Spanish as my daughter is learning it in school and I would like to be able to have a basic understanding of the language.

V

visitor

I'm doing French and I've been a casual learner for almost 3 months in. I haven't done more than 5 mins a day. It slowly adds up.

V

visitor

Is anyone using anything on top of Duolingo (or whatever app you use)? I don't think my Spanish is good enough to watch TV or anything, though maybe I could watch something I already know well?