Kindle vs books?

V

visitor

I've only seen the special offer thing recently when I was browsing the new Kindles, I had no idea it existed.

It’s been there for a while. A bit of a rip-off. You used to be able to buy the cheaper version then pay to get them taken off if you didn’t like them. Don’t know if you can still do that. Now what does paying more for a premium version remind me of? ?

V

visitor

Kindle (or the app on an iPad) is the only way for holiday reading. I used to use half my luggage allowance on books, now I just download them. And especially now that most hotels have free wifi, you don’t even need to buy them before going away, or guess how many you’ll get through. Love it. Also at home, I love a house full of books but we live in a loft apartment with all the walls set in the roof so sloping- we’ve hardly got anywhere a bookcase could go.

V

visitor

Kindle Paperwhite. Don't have a baby but do have smooshy dogs so reading one-handed is well, handy! Also, I can make the text big enough to read in bed at night without my specs, which means if I fall asleep reading I don't damage my specs or dent my head :)

V

visitor

I bought a kindle paperwhite last week after years of saying I wouldn't get one and I prefer real books. But I'm a total covert. I'm able to read in bed because it's backlit so I don't have to faff about with lamps (that's probably the laziest sentence I've ever said). Definitely reading more already.

V

visitor

I love my kindle paperwhite. I bought it to read at 3am while feeding my son, they’re really useful as the backlight can be adjusted to suit you. You can use 1 hand to download books and turn pages etc
Now my children are older they have downloaded their favourite comics and books along with school revision books onto it so when we’re out at hobbies (obviously not at the moment) they always have something they can read. I do treat myself to a real book occasionally though :giggle:

V

visitor

I love my kindle for reading in bed. Turning the lamp and reading with the backlight sends me to sleep every night! Plus it’s not heavy so it doesn’t hurt when I drop it on my head (as I fall asleep)!

V

visitor

I have one of the original kindles with the buttons on the side. I have a house full of books and was a bit snobby about them when they first came out. I bought one to take on holiday with me as lugging a pile of books was just ridiculous when you're on such a tight limit on luggage weight. I would say I still prefer a proper book - the feel of them and the ability to flick through the pages to go back to a particular place (I would never remember what page but could remember roughly how far along on a real book) but the screen on the kindles is good as is the ability to cart around so many at a time, keep track of where you are in each book and be able to change the font size as old age has knackered my eyesight.

I bought my daughter one of the newer touch screen ones but have to say I prefer the buttons on the side - it's a shame they don't have that option still.

V

visitor

I love books and the Kindle. My husband is not glad that I have the Kindle as i buy too many of the Kindle daily deals (got the new Philippa Gregory for 0.99 today), but is relieved that the 3000+ titles I've bought over the years are on the Kindle and not my shelves.

V

visitor

Personally I'd download the app on your phone first. See how you get on with it. I have an old kindle in a drawer, it's not back-lit which is a bit annoying if it's dark. I prefer a real book but my kindle app on my phone is great for reading on the move, on holiday and the like.

You are welcome to my old one, but as I say it's not back lit

V

visitor

I love the fact that if you're out and about and have to sit around waiting somewhere you can use the Kindle app on your phone to read your book at the page you stopped at on your Kindle and vice versa.

V

visitor

I prefer a real book, but a kindle is handy to carry in my bag for reading in breaks at work and perfect for travelling. I have my favourite books on the kindle as well as in paperback. I have the paperwhite one, which is great for reading in dim light.

V

visitor

I’m trying to read 50 books this year and being able to get books for 99p is keeping the price down. How does Prime Reading work? Have amazon prime but have never used it to borrow books.

V

visitor

I love my Kindle. Definitely get the Paperwhite with the background light. As PPs have said it means that you can read in the dark and not wake the baby.

V

visitor

I love the ambience of real books, but find Kindles way easier to handle and also, these days, to physically read. My eyesight isn't what it was, and I'm convinced the print size in many 'real' books nowadays is getting smaller, probably to minimise print costs by using less paper, and I find many of them strain my eyes. So although I will always love real books and own a ton of them, the vast majority of my reading these days gets done on a Kindle. That makes me a bit sad, but helps me read more than I would otherwise, which makes me happy.

I have the Voyage, and although I love it, I'm not convinced it's worth the extra cost over the Paperwhite. My mum and dad have/had Paperwhites and those seem really good.

V

visitor

I love the ambience of real books, but find Kindles way easier to handle and also, these days, to physically read. My eyesight isn't what it was, and I'm convinced the print size in many 'real' books nowadays is getting smaller, probably to minimise print costs by using less paper, and I find many of them strain my eyes. So although I will always love real books and own a ton of them, the vast majority of my reading these days gets done on a Kindle. That makes me a bit sad, but helps me read more than I would otherwise, which makes me happy.

I have the Voyage, and although I love it, I'm not convinced it's worth the extra cost over the Paperwhite. My mum and dad have/had Paperwhites and those seem really good.
I agree. I love real books and own many, but I can make the font size suitable for aging eyes (think I need new varifocals). I also read so much that I would struggle to keep up with books if not for my kindle. I usually find enough to read on the free or really cheap lists on Amazon, so I don't spend a fortune unless it's a book I really want.

V

visitor

I have the Kindle app on my Samsung tablet, I also downloaded the Readly app free for 2 months so I can read magazines, probably won't keep after the 2 month trial period. I prefer physical books though, unfortunately I can't go to Waterstones or charity shops at the moment so will have to download some books onto the app

V

visitor

I have the Kindle app on my Samsung tablet, I also downloaded the Readly app free for 2 months so I can read magazines, probably won't keep after the 2 month trial period. I still prefer physical books though
If you are a member of your local library you can read heaps of magazines for free via an app called rb digital. Huge range of titles from The Economist to GQ to Gardener's World to Good Housekeeping etc etc etc. Your library website should have info.

V

visitor

Both my kindles died and Amazon would only give me a discount on a refurb and not much of a one at that. I now just use my iPad to read my kindle collection. It's mostly trash fiction on there as I prefer a proper book for any research work I'm doing. I'm also well aware that I own none of the books I've purchased on kindle and if I delete my Amazon account for any reason I'm going to lose them all. I only read the free books now

V

visitor

Never thought I’d like a kindle as I love books. However, really taken to it. Also, the backlight means I can read it in bed without the main light on.