Kindle vs books?

N

Nessie

I'm still using my Kindle Keyboard! They stopped making those yeeeears ago. Way longer lasting than I thought it’d be.
I love giant sci-fi or fantasy books that weigh a stone and need two hands so a kindle is much better for those. ?

I love turning into a total sloth with my kindle. I cocoon myself in a blanket and the only way you can tell I'm still alive is by seeing me blink! They’re just so easy. And I love being able to buy the next book in a series immediately. Cant pop to a bookshop at 3am!

V

visitor

I love my kindle for all the reasons stated - it's backlit so no need for a bedside lamp and disturbing my husband when I'm reading at night, going on holiday, my luggage used to be mainly paperbacks and hardly any clothes, now I have 1000+ books to choose from and never have that awful sinking feeling of having nothing to read, plus I love, love, love Prime reading and have read some brilliant books through this service, including Try Not To Breathe by Holly Seddon and No-one's Home by D.M.Pulley.

I still have a bookcase and I still read 'proper' books though. There's not an either/or option for me.

V

visitor

I’m trying to read 50 books this year and being able to get books for 99p is keeping the price down. How does Prime Reading work? Have amazon prime but have never used it to borrow books.
If you go through the monthly Kindle deals (they've just changed), then it says by some of the titles, available with your Prime membership. I don't pay for a specific Prime reading, just use my normal Prime. I think you download them and read them, and then take them off the Kindle once you've read them.

V

visitor

If you go through the monthly Kindle deals (they've just changed), then it says by some of the titles, available with your Prime membership. I don't pay for a specific Prime reading, just use my normal Prime. I think you download them and read them, and then take them off the Kindle once you've read them.
Yes, you can borrow up to ten titles at a time, free of charge. In order to get another book, you have to return one, so you never have more than ten in your library. I can also thoroughly recommend The Things You Find in Rockpools by Gregg Dunnet - and when you've read it, there's a link to get another free book of his. Another way of finding books free with Prime is just to type Prime Reading in the search box on Amazon. There's a lot of choice.

V

visitor

Sign up to the newsletter from this place and you'll get daily emails of very cheap of completely free kindle books: https://us.kindofbook.com/
I've been getting it for years and have amassed hundreds of books that I haven't got round to reading!

I think you can also customise the genres too (it's been a while)

V

visitor

I used to be a total bookworm for "real" books, but then I downloaded the Kindle app on my iPad. It is very convenient when travelling, whether on holiday or for work. I still read real books, but these days mostly only when at home.
I don't think I would be interested in "just" a Kindle as I like my devices to be capable of multi-tasking.

V

visitor

I wish I’d had a Kindle when I was travelling around Europe by train! They were invented soon after..
I still like actual books though and wouldn't recognise my house without its comforting layer of books on almost every wall. When there's a power cut, or when civilisation breaks down, we will be OK. :geek: ? ?

V

visitor

I used to be a total bookworm for "real" books, but then I downloaded the Kindle app on my iPad. It is very convenient when travelling, whether on holiday or for work. I still read real books, but these days mostly only when at home.
I don't think I would be interested in "just" a Kindle as I like my devices to be capable of multi-tasking.
Gin I have the app on my iPad and a kindle and I prefer the kindle.
I just have the basic backlit one (I think it was about £55 on an offer?) and it’s fab. Really light, and has the backlit screen for reading at night and the charge lasts forever. I never thought I’d swap from book books. But I have and in lockdown it’s Been amazing.
I just bought DD one for lockdown reading and she’s really enjoying it too. And she was a real book book person too.

V

visitor

I have a Kindle Fire and a couple of reading Kindles. I prefer the reading Kindles to read on, and use the Fire for news, games, email and banking/online shopping. The reading Kindles are much more hand friendly than my Fire HDX.

V

visitor

On the basis of the enthusiasm shown for kindles on this thread I ordered one. Felt I was going over to the dark side but it is indeed fabulous and a revelation.
I’m happy because I can get cheaper books and read anywhere easier, my husband is happy because I’m filling the house with less books.

V

visitor

I saw somebody reading a book the other day. Young woman, sports gear, headphones etc. walking along engrossed in it.

V

visitor

On the basis of the enthusiasm shown for kindles on this thread I ordered one. Felt I was going over to the dark side but it is indeed fabulous and a revelation.
I’m happy because I can get cheaper books and read anywhere easier, my husband is happy because I’m filling the house with less books.
Can I ask which one you bought please? I desperate for the library to reopen but wonder if an e-reader may be the answer, I had 7 books waiting to be read and have read them all during lockdown, so it either buy more physical books, wait for the library or kindle/kobo route.

V

visitor

I love my Kindle despite having tons of books. It's great for travelling as I can put my headphones on and use the narration to listen to it. Butting also means I'm not carting around lots of books. But I still prefer a normal book too.

V

visitor

Can I ask which one you bought please? I desperate for the library to reopen but wonder if an e-reader may be the answer, I had 7 books waiting to be read and have read them all during lockdown, so it either buy more physical books, wait for the library or kindle/kobo route.
I’ve got the Oasis (Christmas present) but they are pricey. Have a look at the amazon reviews - the prices for different models vary wildly

V

visitor

V

visitor

V

visitor

If you buy a Kobo and you sign up to your library's ebook service then you can download library books onto your Kobo. Best of both worlds! The new Kobo's have Overdrive loaded on so you can download direct from your library. If your library uses BorrowBox, you need to use your computer as a go between, but it's still very simple.

V

visitor

If you buy a Kobo and you sign up to your library's ebook service then you can download library books onto your Kobo. Best of both worlds! The new Kobo's have Overdrive loaded on so you can download direct from your library. If your library uses BorrowBox, you need to use your computer as a go between, but it's still very simple.
Thank you that's very helpful. My local library uses Borrowbox, would have to check if they use Overdrive (that makes me sound as though I knwo anything about it, I don't!). So from your comment, you can only use Overdrive or Borrowbox from libraries where your normal library card would be valid?