Libraries

V

visitor

I am currently re-reading my books (books I bought prior to 2018 when I found my work library...)

Prior to lockdown I read a book every 2 days on my commute and despite lockdown that hasn't changed much... I read pre and post work.

I refuse to spend money on books given the volume I get through but reckon I only have 4-6 weeks of books to 're-read' - plus it isn't much fun when I vaguely remember what has happened...

Anyone have vague thoughts on when libraries will re-open!?

V

visitor

I am currently re-reading my books (books I bought prior to 2018 when I found my work library...)

Prior to lockdown I read a book every 2 days on my commute and despite lockdown that hasn't changed much... I read pre and post work.

I refuse to spend money on books given the volume I get through but reckon I only have 4-6 weeks of books to 're-read' - plus it isn't much fun when I vaguely remember what has happened...

Anyone have vague thoughts on when libraries will re-open!?
I think they said 4th July at the earliest, but I would be surprised if it was as early as this. My reasoning being - it's not really an essential service (compared to say...a job centre), they operate at a loss (so no huge financial incentive), they're council run (unions), people touch everything (gross) and books/communal computers are pretty much impossible to clean.

V

visitor

I think probably in the 4th July phase. But I'd like to think they could come under "non essential retail" and open from 15th June. Isn't it down to the local council, like tips?

V

visitor

I'm normally a huge reader and go through books at a rate of knots but haven't been able to concentrate since lockdown which is annoying. We have a family illness ongoing on which is taking up a lot of my headspace right now too.

V

visitor

I'm normally a huge reader and go through books at a rate of knots but haven't been able to concentrate since lockdown which is annoying. We have a family illness ongoing on which is taking up a lot of my headspace right now too.
Me too Fin although work stress in my case.

Fortress, has your library got an ebook section? I read on my Kobo, phone or iPad with the Libby app. No spend or library visits required if that would suit you.

V

visitor

Regardless of COVID. I stare at a screen for 10+ hours a day for my job... don't fancy doing it in my downtime too.
So do I Fortress but I find ebooks useful and I never get library books out because I always end up lacking the time to return them and end up paying fines.

V

visitor

My local library says July too. Although if charity shops open in June, then would that be a good opportunity for some cheap books to tide you over?

Or could you do a book swap with friends / family?

V

visitor

Has your Library got digital books you can borrow . Mine has an app to read magazines too .

V

visitor

Have you thought about audible books? Most libraries have a scheme for this. I know it's not the same as a real book but it is something at least.

Our library website just says they're following guidelines with no mention of re-opening any time soon.

V

visitor

Do you get rid of your own books once you've read them Fortress? If so, could you start your own library by leaving a box of books outside your house with a note saying Swap Service (or a better name!).

This is something that seems to have caught on around us along with notes saying 'please help yourselves' I assume it's because the Charity shops are closed and people want to get rid of stuff.

V

visitor

I know what you mean about spending too much money on books-I miss the libraries-but I am buying some second hand on Amazon, as even with postage, it's often only a quarter or thereabouts of the new price. Don't run out of books!?

V

visitor

I think they said 4th July at the earliest, but I would be surprised if it was as early as this. My reasoning being - it's not really an essential service (compared to say...a job centre), they operate at a loss (so no huge financial incentive), they're council run (unions), people touch everything (gross) and books/communal computers are pretty much impossible to clean.

Our library team is looking into how re-opening can be managed and looking at click and collect and click and deliver options before then. ?

V

visitor

I have thought about starting a book swap , just a box outside the front gate , l can't wait for the Library to open l have a lot of Enid Blyton books l want to revisit off the back of Mallory Towers , it was just wonderful .

V

visitor

The Summer Reading Challenge for children started on Friday - it's all on line this year, obviously ?

The theme this year is 'The Silly Squad'

V

visitor

The Summer Reading Challenge for children started on Friday - it's all on line this year, obviously ?

The theme this year is 'The Silly Squad'

Thanks for the reminder! DC has already signed up but not put any books on site yet.