Libraries

V

visitor

My library is now renewing books up till early August, so they must be planning till at least then.

However they have been working throughout (maybe on a skeleton staff?) and have set up a home delivery scheme for elderly and/or vulnerable which is a lovely idea.

V

visitor

In my area the libraries operate on a skeleton staff. A lot have been on other non-library duties since lockdown. They've started transforming the layouts and moving out unnecessary furniture to allow for wider aisles between the shelves. All of the massive effort made by staff over the last year to create a welcoming and relaxing environment which encourages browsing, sitting down, and relaxing is being reversed. I fear the vibe will be very different indeed. Although the staff, who are all lovely, will do their best to make all visitors as welcome as possible.

V

visitor

I think we will find libraries being very cautious indeed about how they manage the re-opening. I would be interested to hear how boroughs where other M-Chatterers live manage the process.

The news is out: Libraries can re-open! Excellent news for many people who rely on their library as a source of entertainment, a reason to go out and a vital (however small) piece of human interaction.

You're spot on with your observation that for some people it provides a vital source of social interaction. ?