Madeleine McCann new suspect

Penguin

It's all over the press, a German paedophile in jail appears to be a suspect.

What do you all think? I think the parents were incredibly stupid to do what they did and possibly very unfortunate that their mistake ended up the way it did.

But if it really was this bloke, surely something would have come up earlier? We are talking 13 years after all.

Either way, I doubt there will be a happy ending. Poor little girl.

Fortress24

Will go and catch up on the news on that now.

That aside my views are:
- they had nothing to do with it.
- they made an unfortunate mistake they will regret forever
- At those times leaving a child in an apartment (within a complex) was often done. They were unlucky.

To add, that level of taxpayers money should never have been wasted on trying to find her.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

- they made an unfortunate mistake they will regret forever
-
Totally agree with that... but but but, I think there were babysitting services available which they could well afford to have paid for. I mean, we never went to any of that type of place, but I'd rather have paid for a sitter than have someone leave the party every 15 mins to do the round of 3 or 4 apartments. Just seems much more straightforward, less disruptive of the adult evening, and more reassuring. I dont know.

AHornyHedgehog

I struggle to believe they are innocent without reasonable doubt based on a few things I read back in the day.

What the hell was the pact of silence the party of friends went on?
Why did they refuse to give evidence to the police?
Why did they sit together and agree between themselves on the timeline the night Madeline went missing?
Why did Kate refuse to answer any of the questions in her 11 hour interrogation?

I would be very very shocked if there will ever be an arrest at the end of this unless they find a body (apologies for anyone that might upset). How will they convict him without strong evidence?

I think they're trying to find a car the suspect got rid of the day after Madeline went missing but, after all these years would evidence still be retrievable inside?

I unfortunately think this isn't going to go anywhere and the UK's taxpayers money shouldn't be going towards it either. The parents used the money they got from fundraisers to pay off the mortgage on their home. Disgrace.

I know a couple whose son went missing in Tenerife in 2019. He wandered away from the villa they were staying in whilst they were eating. To compare what they went through in the initial 24 hours is worlds apart from what the McCanns went through in regards to answering questions and helping the police.

Last edited:

What could go wrong?

This one has apparently been on a list of interest of 600. Would be interesting to know why he's suddenly skipped to the top.

The photofit is close but then compared to the faceless man anything would be.

As for the parents I think it was a perfect storm scenario. That said it would never have crossed my mind to leave babies unattended. They said it was like eating in the back garden. Photos of the scene prove otherwise.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

Nope, we never did what they did. Always took the kids in buggies to dinner, hoped they'd sleep etc. Or we ate early, went back, kids to bed and then books/wine on the balcony/patio etc. (Back in the day, before all yer tech stuff). I just find it hard to imagine that a group of professional people thought it was either ok, or the best solution.

CrapBag

I think they are clutching at straws and want to be seen to be doing something in order to make it seem worthwhile having all this money spent on it.

I don't think the truth will ever come out. I don't think they'll ever find her or the person who did it.

I have suspected the parents in the past but if they did I can't see why they would spend 14 years constantly bringing it to everyone's attention. They'd have quietly let it go. Although if it did turn put to be something accidental, I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

I would never ever have left my children like that. They just wanted to have adult evenings without the inconvenience of young children. Tough shit when you have them. Either holiday alone, sort out adequate childcare or just take them to dinner. What they did was highly irresponsible and if it had been working class parents such as 'cleaner mum and factory operative dad' (just as examples, nothing wrong with those jobs), people wouldn't have given them the benefit of any doubt. They would have been vilified by all. But given he was a heart surgeon and she was a GP, then they 'made a mistake.'

Maloryknox

It's weird as fuck and even if one, some or all of the tapas 9 weren't involved in her dissappearance, they were up to somthing incriminating. If not why the lies, why the need to "get their stories straight", and confer over time lines.

Lots of people now say they were swingers and sedated the kids to stop them disturbing the sex. But that doesn't really explain why they are seemingly covering somthing up. Just tell the truth and miss out the sedation.

And the dog picking up death smell in the new rental car. Pretty bad luck if that they hired a car that had previously been used to transport a body.

Beach

The baby sitters were the same staff they were happy to leave the kids with in the daytime creche. They said they didn't want to leave them with 'strangers' which always struck me as odd.
We went on lots of Mark Warner holidays. They did sleep overs for the kids - so they’d all go to bed in the kids club having watched movies, then from 10ish onwards parents would arrive and we’d carry our kids back to our rooms. Adults could have a nice quiet dinner, kids all safe. We never left DD unattended, but I have friends who did it all the time. I think people fall into one of two categorises, the ‘it will be fine, stop worrying’ and the ‘what if something happens, she’s sick, wakes up from a nightmare’ type of group. Sometimes people get swayed by group dynamics. There seems to be some odd behaviour, but then God knows how I’d behave in that situation. All pretty damn awful.

Archewell

I confess that I am really surprised that without a body, there can be a suspect, this late in the day.

It would be good to know the truth of what happened but I do not think we ever will. It's been too long now and unless the child's body is found, I cannot see how anyone can be suspected.

Vob

They said on Sky News just now that the German paedophile has confessed to this crime to another inmate. That's why he's now the prime suspect.

horsesgallore

I agree that anyone who worked less 'high powered' jobs would have been arrested for negligence. Perhaps this suspect did indeed do it, but since crims are quite well known for boasting about crimes they supposedly committed, I wouldn't give it that much credence. I think its ridiculous that Kate did not cooperate with the police at the time. Why wouldn't you? I feel heart sorry for their other children, because no matter what they do with their lives, they will never be able to live up to magical Maddie.

Fin

I knew one of the forensic experts who went to Praia da Luz to review the Portuguese police investigation for the C4 Dispatches programme. It's now common knowledge but he said the initial forensic investigation was a disaster and too much evidence was lost due to incompetence and also said the McCann's room was not in direct sight of the tapas bar where they were sitting that night. His opinion is that Madeleine was dead. 😞

Last edited:

GreatBarrierIsland

- At those times leaving a child in an apartment (within a complex) was often done. They were unlucky.
When I went to holiday camps as a child it was normal practice for people to leave babies and young children in their chalets when they went to the entertainment venue at night. If a patrolling security man heard crying in a chalet he would contact the venue. There was a large, prominent board with the words 'Baby Crying in Chalet Number' at the top. A member of staff would chalk in the chalet number underneath so the parents were aware.

I suppose having known this culture I wasn't too critical of the McCanns, who were checking on the children regularly - until I learned (if I remember this correctly) they had left one or both main doors unlocked. It just seems such a strange thing for parents (professional people at that) to do.