No spend days 2021

NotSorry

Welcome anyone who wants to join our journey for cutting out unnecessary spends

We are trying to save as much as possible as our youngest son is due to go to university in September and our middle son will be in his final year at the same time

I may need to replace one of my appliances as Mr NotSorry thinks it might be on the way out (it’s 15 years old) but I have the money put aside for that just in case

For me, it’s more the “bit here, bit there” that adds up, so I’m going to try not to buy any new clothes, make up and toiletries (until everything is used up) and put the unspent money into the uni fund instead

Oldcoot

Sweet!

I have spent the day today going through all my cupboards and drawers to see how much stuff I have that needs using up....and theres a hell of a lot of it. Anyone would think I've been storing for the apocalypse.

As promised, this is the grid I've made in my diary to colour in:

NSD Grid.jpg

I've even got 3 additional days to add if I count from Christmas Day.

I've got 2 additonal bills to pay which I could have done without but nevermind. I'm also meal planning using the free good food calendar I got a couple of months ago and if it's not on the online shop, it'll have to wait until the next week.

I'm going to have to get a tank of petrol very soon, but the upside of not working is that I don't use the car anywhere near as much, so a tank is lasting over a month at the moment.

Edit: I didn't say why I was doing this. Apart from the not working thing, my finances are out of control, I'm sick of being in my overdraft, my credit cards are near their limits and I'm fed up with never having any money or anything to show for it. Enough.

CakeO'clock

I like your chart @Oldcoot I think I will make one for me.

I've never done a no spend thing before but I'd like to break the habit of buying things. I buy when I'm bored or stressed. I'd like to use what we have and consider more what we actually need. We used to really enjoy eating out, nothing fancy, and now the kids are older, it would be nice to do that again.

Socks

I'm in!!
Going to have a serious honest conversation with myself and decide on some rules.
Think I need to go month by month.
I know for definite I need to stop bringing 'stuff' into my home.

NotSorry

Everything you have on your spreadsheet I already budget for - it’s the extra things I want to stop spending on, stuff I don’t need

CakeO'clock

Everything you have on your spreadsheet I already budget for - it’s the extra things I want to stop spending on, stuff I don’t need
That's my goal. I'm not monitoring spending in general, just recording the no (essential) spend days. Hopefully it'll make me think twice about frivolous purchases over and above the usual day-to-day requirements. I might also set a grocery limit though, so I don't sneak things onto that shop (easily done via the Lidl middle aisle!!). We have a pretty good budget, I just keep buying non essential extras.

Just to be accountable. I'm going for 10 no spend days in January and then I'll transfer any extra money at the end of the month into savings.

No yarn, no knitting accessories, no paid for apps or subscriptions, no make-up unless used up.

CakeO'clock

We have a 3wk meal rota. It really helps with shopping and using up leftovers. Does get a bit samey so I do like to swap a meal out for a new recipe every now and again.

I'm definitely in!

I have made loads of progress this year but it seems to be two steps forward and one back.

I need to pay off some cards so I can move house, hopefully in 2022.

Something that i do to stop myself spending on line is that if I see something I like I put it in my basket and leave it. I don't go to checkout. It works for me. Still gives me the "buzz" of shopping but without actually buying anything!

Horses Gallore

I'm in. I'm crap with money (partly because I can't count) and find myself spending lots and lots. I did better at the start of this year, but I need to be better all the time. Hands in pockets time!

Socks

Something that i do to stop myself spending on line is that if I see something I like I put it in my basket and leave it. I don't go to checkout. It works for me. Still gives me the "buzz" of shopping but without actually buying anything!

I do similar i have a huge wish it allows me to browse without going to the checkout! Also, no bank cards near my laptop so I physically have to get it embarrassingly I won't be bothered to walk a whole half minute for my card!

CakeO'clock

Well, after all my stress and anxiety, we've decided to move across country! Life is too short to be living somewhere we moved to just for work. My husband now works 100% at home so we just need internet access. In lockdown it's been hard to find places to go, there's not much nice outside space near us. We both love the beach (as do the kids) and my husband likes fossil hunting.

Our no spend goal is now to pay off the credit cards and prepare for a move to the South Coast maybe in the summer (COVID and Brexit permitting).

Oldcoot

Well, after all my stress and anxiety, we've decided to move across country! Life is too short to be living somewhere we moved to just for work. My husband now works 100% at home so we just need internet access. In lockdown it's been hard to find places to go, there's not much nice outside space near us. We both love the beach (as do the kids) and my husband likes fossil hunting.

Our no spend goal is now to pay off the credit cards and prepare for a move to the South Coast maybe in the summer (COVID and Brexit permitting).
That's fantastic news and what a thing to focus on! Good luck.

CakeO'clock

Thanks @Oldcoot

Totally crazy revelation overnight, but my husband thinks it's a great idea. Just trying to find somewhere near the Jurassic Coast we can afford that isn't too far to the beach. Will be a little drive as our budget isn't massive, but I grew up a bus ride from the beach and spent all my summers on the sand with my friends. We always holiday near the beach.

We were thinking the Isle of Wight but lack of decent broadband and ferry costs are making that look less likely.

10+ days no spend in January coming up 😂

Oldcoot

Thanks @Oldcoot

Totally crazy revelation overnight, but my husband thinks it's a great idea. Just trying to find somewhere near the Jurassic Coast we can afford that isn't too far to the beach. Will be a little drive as our budget isn't massive, but I grew up a bus ride from the beach and spent all my summers on the sand with my friends. We always holiday near the beach.

We were thinking the Isle of Wight but lack of decent broadband and ferry costs are making that look less likely.

10+ days no spend in January coming up 😂
Sounds perfect. You can do 10 days+ easily.

Oldcoot

I have a lot of useful tips on this as it is how I managed to get off the treadmill and create a manageable life without eating sticks or becoming homeless. I'm a three year veteran of no spend.
Please share them. I need all the help I can get. Others on here may also find them useful as they are saving for various things or clearing credit cards.