No spend days 2021

Planthedgeandtree

Another no-spend day at casa Plant. I don't have a car and use the bus and walk, and being a reasonable walk from a bus stop was a criteria when I was hovel hunting.

DC asked:
What does everyone think about spending savings made by this no spend thread on things that in the long run, save more?

For example solar panels for a workshop or garage currently running on mains, raised beds for growing, things/tools needed for a home based business that will make extra money? A a wood burner if you have a steady supply of cheap or free wood and currently use a lot of (set price) gas to heat your home?

All of my 'no spend' is based on making 'consumer' savings that I can convert into things that increase no spend or create low spend.
Does anyone else do this?

Not yet, but I would like one day to have better insulation, air source heat pump or ground source heat pump or even solar panels and a good battery.

Last edited:

DinosaurChickens

OMG £600. :cry: No savings for me this month! Still I saved more than usual last month so haven't had to dip as far into the pot as if I hadn't been good.
Wow that is so expensive for a pair of specs, a thick 14ct gold chain is in that ball park, can you shop around and find a better price (maybe overseas supply) if you have or request a copy of your lens prescription, maybe you could find a cheaper supply to that prescription. £600 is madness.

This same situation but with UK dentistry is why people go overseas to get their crowns and bridgework done. It ends up still being way cheaper to pay for a flight and accommodation and get it done in Poland than it does here.

But having the exact lens prescription, might mean you can mail order excellent replacement specs from a reputable and cheaper overseas supplier. I haven't checked, but if I was you I would look into the possibility before stumping up that sort of cash.

Justsayno

Wow that is so expensive for a pair of specs, a thick 14ct gold chain is in that ball park, can you shop around and find a better price (maybe overseas supply) if you have or request a copy of your lens prescription, maybe you could find a cheaper supply to that prescription. £600 is madness.

This same situation but with UK dentistry is why people go overseas to get their crowns and bridgework done. It ends up still being way cheaper to pay for a flight and accommodation and get it done in Poland than it does here.

But having the exact lens prescription, might mean you can mail order excellent replacement specs from a reputable and cheaper overseas supplier. I haven't checked, but if I was you I would look into the possibility before stumping up that sort of cash.
I've been buying mine online for quite a few years now - It's dropped the price from $400+ to $30-40 per pair for my strong prescription. I've used eyebuydirect and zenni & never had a problem. The customer service is very good at helping if you have questions. I pick frames by measuring the dimensions of a current frame and estimating how the supplied online frame measurements compare to what I like. This way I can have 2 pairs each of regular, sun & readers. With 4 out of 5 of us being glasses wearers, these prices are amazing.

DinosaurChickens

I've been buying mine online for quite a few years now - It's dropped the price from $400+ to $30-40 per pair for my strong prescription. I've used eyebuydirect and zenni & never had a problem. The customer service is very good at helping if you have questions. I pick frames by measuring the dimensions of a current frame and estimating how the supplied online frame measurements compare to what I like. This way I can have 2 pairs each of regular, sun & readers. With 4 out of 5 of us being glasses wearers, these prices are amazing.
There we go!! Excellent there is light at the end of the myopia tunnel. Request a printout of your lens prescription and start shopping around Xales.

Justsayno

I've been doing fairly but did go to a charity shop yesterday (my downfall). And the targeted ads on my pages are doing their best to tempt me - David's Tea has some really nice glass mugs. I keep picturing my overstuffed mug cupboard and have so far successfully resisted.

My eye doctor gave me eye drop samples and they're working very well. I just looked up the price and they're $50/bottle (faints).

CakeO'clock

Someone hates me. My glasses snapped yesterday. Varifocal lenses slimmed so I don't look like I am wearing bottles.
Totally late to the party, but do you have accidental damage on your home insurance? My glasses were covered when I broke them and I just had to pay the excess.

Xales

I needed new lenses anyway and they are £500 of the cost as my prescription has changed. The frame has already had lenses swopped in so I had my moneys worth from them.

I have looked at online ones I could save a couple of hundred. However I have only found one brand of varifocal lens which works for me. The others just seem off slightly as they all adjust from one focus to the other differently. I get one lens thinned less than the other so that the glasses balance and don't tip slightly. So I pay the extra to get exactly what I want which I know work for me.

The other option is 2 pairs of glasses and to swop them. I am getting old enough to wear them on a chain round my neck and do that :ROFLMAO:

Justsayno

I needed new lenses anyway and they are £500 of the cost as my prescription has changed. The frame has already had lenses swopped in so I had my moneys worth from them.

I have looked at online ones I could save a couple of hundred. However I have only found one brand of varifocal lens which works for me. The others just seem off slightly as they all adjust from one focus to the other differently. I get one lens thinned less than the other so that the glasses balance and don't tip slightly. So I pay the extra to get exactly what I want which I know work for me.

The other option is 2 pairs of glasses and to swop them. I am getting old enough to wear them on a chain round my neck and do that :ROFLMAO:
My husband just mentioned that he might be in need of a chain. I turned away so as not to show the shock/mirth at him finally admitting this. He has lost his glasses so many times that, even with 3 pairs, he often can't find any of them.