No spend days 2021

Oldcoot

Another tip.

I've received a letter from my mobile phone company about insurance that I took out on a phone. A phone I don't even have anymore. When I called, it turns out there is insurance on 2 of the 3 phones in this house. I've saved £11 a month, cancelling insurance policies I didn't even know I had, which should reflect on my monthly bills.

I recommend calling your mobile providers to see if anyone else is paying for an insurance they don't need.

Oldcoot

Well woohoo the clothes that I ordered on new years eve have arrived and they're all going back :)
Why? Don't they fit? Why not keep 1 and wear it when we're finally released sometime in the year 3000 as a celebration and a boost? Lockdown is going to be hard, keep something to look forward to wearing it somewhere.

Socks

Definitely agree, I am more cautiously spending making each pound count rather than complete not spending.

It's a mix of them not really fitting well and not liking them when they arrived, they was in the additional 40% off sale at white stuff and I can tell why to be honest.

Ah well more bargains at sea and all that.

Year 3000 your optimistic.

Oldcoot

Definitely agree, I am more cautiously spending making each pound count rather than complete not spending.

It's a mix of them not really fitting well and not liking them when they arrived, they was in the additional 40% off sale at white stuff and I can tell why to be honest.

Ah well more bargains at sea and all that.

Year 3000 your optimistic.
Ah, so money not very well spent then. It's horrible when you buy things but then they don't fit or they just look wrong when worn.

Year 3000: Very optimistic. I've got to keep my hope up somehow.

Another NSD today. Saying that, I've not been anywhere to spend anything.

Justsayno

I seem to have bought 20 pairs of socks. They have cushioned soles so that's my justification. We're all getting sore week from walking so far each day. I'm doling them out amongst 3 of us, but it still seems excessive. Especially since they were partially bought to bump me up to free shipping with other items. At least found discount codes to use. Today I'm not planning on spending anything but the daughters are going in search of marscapone which is ridiculously expensive, and tomorrow we've ordered a special french epiphany cake for pick up. So edible but not absolutely necessary.

Old Coot, I like your caveats to NSD (y) Another place to check for possible unnecessary spending is bank fees (my FIL's account is still being charged 4.50/mo for returned cheques & paper statements, and it's in probate but husband is in charge...), and subscriptions that you don't really need that roll over automatically.

Socks

I have done another NSD!! And I worked from home so zero fuel too!.

Ah, so money not very well spent then. It's horrible when you buy things but then they don't fit or they just look wrong when worn.

Year 3000: Very optimistic. I've got to keep my hope up somehow.

Another NSD today. Saying that, I've not been anywhere to spend anything.
It is but still its better than them days ... when you could go shopping (can you remember those mysterious days??) And you wouldn't find anything or you would like it in the shops and you'd get it home and itd be somehow completely different like the shopping bag made it less nice or something.

Whilst we're on with going shopping. Can you remember visiting a cafe in town? Or a pub or whatever? And hey heres a crazy idea.. no... mask!!

I've been doing pretty well but today I had to fork out for a new printer as my old one died and I need it for uni work. I've also had to order £120 worth of books for my course...

Apart from that I've not spent hardly a bean and have cancelled some subscriptions too. Serves me right for being so smug yesterday!!

Planthedgeandtree

It is but still its better than them days ... when you could go shopping (can you remember those mysterious days??) And you wouldn't find anything or you would like it in the shops and you'd get it home and itd be somehow completely different like the shopping bag made it less nice or something.

Whilst we're on with going shopping. Can you remember visiting a cafe in town? Or a pub or whatever? And hey heres a crazy idea.. no... mask!!
Ah, the old days! When you could pop into town, browse the shops, try on clothes in the changing room, meet a pal for lunch, sip a coffee... Remember when?

CakeO'clock

Also doing great here too. It's really making me think before spending. I've spent a fair while marking emails as spam or unsubscribing if they're definitely genuine ones. I'm staying off Facebook so I avoid the ads on there. Not that I've ever bought something from Facebook but it just gets me thinking about spending.

My heated blanket (Christmas gift from my husband) is proving quite economical too as I don't need the heating on so much during the day heating the whole house when it's just me that's cold in the lounge. Also going to invest in some slippers

I've also gone through some of the kitchen cupboards and sorted out our spices/jars etc and made sure I can see what we've got already so I don't over buy.

Oldcoot

Ahhhh, the good old days.

Remember just being able to get in the car and just go for a drive and see where you ended up? Remember being...spontaneous? Does anyone else remember actually meeting people?

Seriously though, I hanker for the days past when you relied on pen and paper instead of everything being run by a computer, but to hanker after the days of normal human interaction is just too depressing.

Socks

Truthfully I don't really remember much before everything become computer based i even shopped for my husband online but I really miss the human interaction randomly chatting to people in queues etc.

Oh to be able to get in the car and go somewhere. We didn't appreciate that enough at the time or I didn't anyway.

Yesterday, because my lunch ended up free I spent £7.15 - £5 lotto online top-up, £2.15 in Morrisons for a couple of Tea bits I needed.

CakeO'clock

Nearly convinced myself to buy a cordless vacuum yesterday, so very pleased I went to bed just having bookmarked the website and not actually bought one. I do think it would be great, but I also think it's helpful not to rush and to really think about it.

Last edited:

Oldcoot

Spent £10 on a game, which I won back, then put on the lottery, seeing as I'm not going to miss it. and it covers a few weeks.
and just done the online shop at £60...I'm to pick it up tomorrow, hopefully, everything will be in it.
So £10 was the only thing that wasn't necessary and £3 on the BSL course.

So, in total, this week, £95 of food (3 adults, 2 cats) £13 was not really necessary. (£108 out apart from bills for this week)

Bank still in the black by a fair bit more than I thought it would be. I'm happy with my progress so far.
It's been tough, but made easier as I don't work, no where is open and I've kept busy doing other things.

Horses Gallore

I didn't spend anything yesterday and haven't so far today either. I do need to get some more bobbins and possibly another project box for the picture I am going to make for my daughter's birthday, but I don't know if i'll do that today or tomorrow. I'll only know for sure when I start looking out the necessary thread colours and see how many are already on bobbins.

NotSorry

Morning everyone - update on no spending for the last couple of days

No spending here - I’ll be doing my monthly household reckoning on Friday, hoping to be able to put some away into savings. We haven’t bought any petrol so the whole monthly budget for that will be going into the uni pot.

CakeO'clock

Also no spend here. The cordless vacuum has not yet been purchased and I actually haven't really thought about it for a while, so that's also good.

Got a birthday yoga pants & slipper collection to pick up from M&S and a Christmas t-shirt collection from Matalan. Just waiting on my COVID test to come back before I can venture back out into the world. We're going to do Christmas with family in July with chicken/turkey and pigs in blankets on the BBQ (obviously COVID permitting). Thought we'd all wear Christmas t-shirts!