Non confrontational solution? Ndd

Casperron

So a few months ago my NDD on the right built some kind of contraption. It’s like a shed for wheelie bins, however they built a bit on top of it and put some plastic chairs up there, sort of like a decking however it’s 2 - 2.5 metres tall, well over the fence. It is an eyesore but I got used to it and didn’t complain. However now it’s summer NDDs kids and their friends have been climbing on there and peering into my garden & living room window for the majority of the day. On the other side of the fence is my shed and they’ve been trying to climb onto the roof today. But the worst bit is they are standing on the contraption and shouting over my garden to the other neighbours kids who are On a trampoline. How do I go about dealing with this. Neighbour seems lovely when I’ve spoke to her but I don’t think she’s actually watching her kids in the garden.
Both neighbours each sides kids are between ages 4 and 6. Do I just ignore it? Can I get some sort of film to go on my living room window so they can’t see in? I feel so uncomfortable not being able to enjoy my garden, it’s my first summer with a garden as I’ve only ever lived in flats and I want my son to be able to go out there

Otters Rule

Hmmm. Can many other neighbours see this raised decking and might their privacy also be compromised? I'm going to go all boring and suggest that you take a look at the guidance on The Planning Portal for common projects - outbuildings.

There is reasonably clear guidance on there. It might be a matter for your local planning enforcement team if the structure does not meet all the criteria to fall within permitted development.

You can report this to them. You can't do it anonymously (usually) but your details are not disclosed to anyone. They will look into it.

This is non-confrontational and if other neighbours' privacy is also affected it could have been anyone submitting the complaint to P.E.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200234/home_improvement_projects. - not sure how you make a link work...

Last edited:

Divgirl

I'd also report it to the council - but yes you can get a screen for your windows. There are two main options if you didn't want to go with a voile.

First would be a mirror film, the downside of this is that it would darken the window slightly. The other is partial frosting (in lines usually) the downside is this is visible from both sides of the window (but can look good).

If you Google "privacy window film" it should bring up loads. You can even get it on Amazon prime.

OP
OP
C

Casperron

Hmmm. Can many other neighbours see this raised decking and might their privacy also be compromised? I'm going to go all boring and suggest that you take a look at the guidance on The Planning Portal for common projects - outbuildings.

There is reasonably clear guidance on there. It might be a matter for your local planning enforcement team if the structure does not meet all the criteria to fall within permitted development.

You can report this to them. You can't do it anonymously (usually) but your details are not disclosed to anyone. They will look into it.

This is non-confrontational and if other neighbours' privacy is also affected it could have been anyone submitting the complaint to P.E.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200234/home_improvement_projects. - not sure how you make a link work...
I’m not really sure what to look at as it’s not proper decking or a building. Could PM you a picture?

kittycat

Check with council if they need planning for whatever it is. Ask them to get down and Speak to your neighbour each time they do it. If they ignore you then perhaps put your sprinkler on and accidentally angle it toward that part of your fence. Might make them move if they get a bit splashed.

Hawthorn

I'd speak to the neighbour and ask her if she knows that the children are trying to climb on to your shed roof.

1eyedcoot

Please don't let this go it will only get worse. I speak from experience. If you fall out over it then so be it - they shouldn't have been so selfish and inconsiderate in the first place.

OP
OP
C

Casperron

Hi it’s definitely got worse over the past few days it’s getting ridiculous now they are throwing things in my garden climbing on my shed. Out there from 7am in their pants. I have someone coming to view the house soon to potentially swap and this would put them off

1eyedcoot

Report them. They are not taking care of their kids, not watching them and they are trespassing and at risk of getting hurt. Is your shed roof strong enough for them to be running around on it? Because mine certainly.

Warn the parents first that your roof isn't secure, then state that you are not accountable if they get hurt and you'll be going to them for damages.

Another option is to ask if they could put up a screen for privacy reasons - which is usally a requirement for any dwelling or extention overlooking anothers property.

If they want to be dicks about it - report them to the council, just state what you have said here and someone will come out. Stress the kids are now on your property and not being supervised.
Life is going to be shit with them next door whether you get on or not - so sod it.

Last edited:

Seeitnowsorted

House swap? Do I take it you both have landlords? If so you can always report it - ASB and a structure that won’t meet planning regulations if it’s a raised deck

OP
OP
C

Casperron

House swap? Do I take it you both have landlords? If so you can always report it - ASB and a structure that won’t meet planning regulations if it’s a raised deck
Yes both housing association. I’m just worried they’ll know it’s me reporting it, no one else would.

1eyedcoot

Yes both housing association. I’m just worried they’ll know it’s me reporting it, no one else would.
You're moving soon enough so don't worry about it and trust me, it's not that big a deal if they do know. They'll gob off a bit, throw things, but not anything stupid enough to get themselves evicted. I've been there, except mine are private owners. We fell out, but it's getting better. They know that I won't stand for them taking the piss now so have wound their necks in, a lot. It's a lot more pleasant and I can use my garden again.

If it's HA I'll be surprised if it's even been allowed! Either you move, or keep reporting until they are forced to move.

1eyedcoot

Don't HA inspect their properties every now and again? Is it not in your contract that you may be subject to inspections from the HA to ensure the house is still in a respectable state? If it is, that's your get out clause and that will be the line they'll use.

OP
OP
C

Casperron

I’m not moving soon, I don’t want to it’s just an amazing property has come up but I have a feeling they’ll pull out of the swap, and even if they didn’t exchanges are suspended due to coronavirus for the unforeseeable future. They’re meant to inspect after 6 months, I’ve been here for 9 but they’ve not been able to because of the pandemic, they’re not even doing repairs

1eyedcoot

Keep emailing them with pictures. They'll come out. They will be liable for legal action if your property is damaged or those children are injured because they didn't act on information given to them.

OP
OP
C

Casperron

I really hope these kids are being supervised and there’s a long bit of rope hanging from the top, which the youngest girl (4) is hanging on to and swinging

OP
OP
C

Casperron

It’s like this but higher and without a roof, bikes stored underneath. slightly wider as they have chairs up there and now attached a slide. Also no bits at the side to stop kids falling off D571C704-8466-4CCC-B649-AD7ED9283E12.jpeg

Seeitnowsorted

Have you been in touch with your HA? Nothing will be sorted until then - the parents are hardly likely to do anything if they are still adding to it.