POLL. How do you feel about the people who booked a trip to Spain, and now have to go into quarantine for 14 days on their return?

How do you feel about people who booked a trip to Spain and now have to go into quarantine on return

• Feel sorry for them and think they have just had the most rotten luck. They deserved a holiday!

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Don't feel sorry for them, they're irresponsible fools, it's their own fault, deserve all they get!

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Don't think they're fools, and that they deserve this, but don't feel sorry for them either.

Votes: 48 60.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Millie

Just that really...

The UK Government said (maybe a month or so back, can't remember exactly when sorry,) that people can now go to Spain. So people flocked to book a holiday there.

NOW, the government have removed the 'safe' status whilst some people are still out there, (because of a big Covid 19 spike there very recently,) and have said they will have to quarantine for 14 days on their return. They will also have no pay for the time they lose from work. (Not allowed sick pay, unless they contract Covid 19,) and they will have to use holiday leave if they have any left. In addition, if they contract Covid 19 whilst they're in Spain, there is a strong possibility that their travel insurance won't cover any health care or hospital fees...

So which of the 3 poll choices (above) would you choose? (to represent your opinion on this?)

Buzzcat

I think that they probably didn’t think this out. It’s not something I would chose to do at the moment, but if people are younger, then the risks to them are minimal. I don’t blame them for going, but it was still a daft thing to do.

I blame the various national government, for allowing it in the first place.

Fin

The timescale for the air bridge with Spain was much shorter in Scotland, only a few days. My husband's colleague booked a family holiday last year flying yesterday which cost him a few thousand and he was between a rock and a hard place - cancel and lose the money or go and lose two weeks pay when he came back due to isolating which isn't a good idea in the current economy. He breathed a sigh of relief last week when Scotland announced the air bridge only to fly out yesterday and be greeted with the news it has been rescinded. I feel really bad for his family.

WomamFemaleXX

I’ve no intention of travelling abroad this year, because I feel it’s too risky. If you could put me in a hazmat suit for the plain, I might consider it. 😁 The thought of being in a plane and sharing recycled air, at the minute. 🤢
In saying that, people were told it’s ok, so I don’t think they’ve done anything wrong and I do feel very sorry for them.

Gin&ASplashOfTonic

I live in Spain. Anything that stops the tourists coming is good for me. Since Spain opened up the cases have been rising, any fool could see that, 30 seconds on Google will tell you. A friend has messaged me today that her kids school have put out a notice today that they can't open in September until numbers go down. If our school send the same notice I will cry. In September our kids will have had no school for 6 months. The tourists cancelling their holidays can piss off as far as I'm concerned. I've got friends that live down the coast. They said the beaches have been packed with tourists.

1eyedcoot

Firstly: Where's the dinosaur option?

Secondly: My opinion depends on if they have a holiday every year. If so, then I won't feel sorry for them, this is just a tanturm because they're not getting what they want.
But if this was the first in a few years then, yes, I'll feel very sorry for them as I've been there. Looking forward to something that you've not had for a few years, it's a bitter dissapointment. Especially if they booked it long before C-19 came along.

The ones that have booked in the last couple of weeks? Then no. You knew the risks.

What could go wrong?

I think it depends when they booked.

If they've taken a holiday that's been booked for donkey's I feel sorry for them. Devil and the deep blue sea etc. If they've booked a last minute deal not so much. We've been looking and have been tempted since the air bridge deals were announced but the price wasn't good enough and the news from Spain hasn't been positive for getting on for a week. Too risky.

daisychain01reborn

On t'other side, someone said the couple "were just using the small window of opportunity to book a well-deserved holiday"

are they serious?? We're still in the midst of a global pandemic of a highly infectious virus - just because holidays to Spain are available, doesn't mean they have to book one at this early time. Couldn't they have booked a UK holiday?

Gin&ASplashOfTonic

On t'other side, someone said the couple "were just using the small window of opportunity to book a well-deserved holiday"

are they serious?? We're still in the midst of a global pandemic of a highly infectious virus - just because holidays to Spain are available, doesn't mean they have to book one at this early time. Couldn't they have booked a UK holiday?
Exactly how I feel about it. My kids deserve to go to school FFS, piss off with the holidays. People live here and are paying the price for your 'well deserved' sun.

I'm really pissed off. Since I first posted another friend has said they've been told school is cancelled.

Beach

I feel sorry for them, but if they booked recently then they knew the risks. I was toying with a holiday, first time in ages would be able to go away with the grown step kids. Found the perfect hotel at a great price in Croatia. Really really want to go. But really?? Nope. We need to wait til it’s safe. I get its tempting, i get that it feels safe as its summer, I get that the government encouraged travel...but its a risk and sadly anyone caught is just stuck. Many are losing their jobs and can’t even imagine a holiday so I’ve limited sympathy. I also don’t cope so well with the ‘I need/deserve an overseas holiday’. Its not a need...food/heat/education are needs.

Hotsoapywater

Is it the quarantine that people are combining about because it will be unpaid?

People can't have it all ways. After months of slagging off the government for locking down too late, people are unhappy because they feel their holiday has been ruined because they decided to book when Spain opened to UK? The government have acted swiftly. In case people haven't noticed, local lockdowns are on the horizon.

The people are at fault here for being such idiots for the purposes of a holiday.

With @Gin&ASplashOfTonic here. No thought for the people there that have experienced a much harsher lockdown than the British.

Fairypop

Another vote for feeling sorry for those who booked a long time ago. I feel less sorry for those who booked recently as they would’ve known the risks.

I’d love to go away, but for so many reasons there’s no way I’d go abroad at the moment.

Fin

We are doing okay with keeping the virus under control in Scotland, I don't particularly want people coming in and bring the virus in with them. But on the other side of the coin, and it is the same for all countries, we need the tourist dollars.

Badbilly

On the Gov.uk advice site it says the following:
“This advice is being kept under constant review. Travel disruption is still possible and national control measures may be brought in with little notice, so check our travel guidance.”

So, that seems pretty straight forward to me - you can fly, but the conditions attached to you flying might change in an instant - and surely everyone who booked a flight to Spain has read this, so knew the risks?

If they didn’t read the guidance, then they are just idiots.

CrapBag

I don't feel sorry for them. Any that were already booked should have cancelled long ago. Anyone who booked this year is an idiot.

I've basically cancelled everything for this year as we just don't know. I've booked a UK break for May next year but only because they have a COVID guarantee.

OP
OP
Millie

Millie

I have to agree with the people saying the people who quickly booked a last minute deal, knew the risks, and should not have gone. It was foolhardy and irresponsible. I do not feel sorry for them, (but I am not rubbing my hands with glee and laughing either...)

As for the ones who booked last summer or Autumn. I do feel a little bit more sorry for them. If the Government said it was OK to go now, I guess some people assumed it would stay that way. Although if people DID book last year, as BadBilly and crapbag said above, could they not have cancelled several months ago? Many holiday companies only take deposits, and don't take the balance until 6 to 8 weeks before...So I think at least some of them could have cancelled..

Pretty risky though to go (whether it was booked 8-9 months ago, or 4 weeks ago.) Now they will lose pay, and maybe get into trouble at work, and even worse, end up with a sizeable bill they'll be paying for the next 10 years, for the medical bills abroad.

OP
OP
Millie

Millie

On the Gov.uk advice site it says the following:

“This advice is being kept under constant review. Travel disruption is still possible and national control measures may be brought in with little notice, so check our travel guidance.”
I didn't realise this. Thanks for flagging that up Billy!

It doesn't quite work like that. My husband's colleague I mentioned up thread tried to cancel months ago but was told as the flights were still going then they would not be reimbursed either through travel insurance or the travel agent.
Fair enough. I guess some would be like that, and those are the ones I do feel a bit sorry for.

Some could cancel though. I know 3 couples/families personally who had holidays booked overseas (2 in Spain) this August/September, and had only paid the deposit. They all cancelled during May and June, as they didn't want the risk of losing all their money if the holiday didn't go ahead.

But yeah, it's a shame for the ones who booked 8-9 months ago, and paid in full many months ago. (before Covid 19.) Howeverrrr, if I had paid in full, I don't think I'd have risked going anyway, Losing the money the holiday cost (£1500 to £2500 maybe,) is going to be WAY less than the multiple 10s of 1000s that they could end up paying in hospital fees overseas... (And the money the holiday cost will be lost anyway.)

Last edited:

Fin

My daughter has a big holiday booked to the US in December, they booked it last November. She under no illusions that it most likely won't go ahead nor does she want it to, she is hoping to god the agent cancels it. In the meantime she just has to wait it out.

OP
OP
Millie

Millie

My daughter has a big holiday booked to the US in December, they booked it last November. She under no illusions that it most likely won't go ahead nor does she want it to, she is hoping to god the agent cancels it. In the meantime she just has to wait it out.
Is it paid for in full Fin?