Problem Page for Book Characters

V

visitor

When I was nineteen, I met and fell in love with a young man who had many good qualities. We became engaged. However, he had no money. He was confident that he would be successful in his profession, but although honourable, it was very uncertain, even dangerous. My father disapproved of our engagement, and my godmother, whom I greatly love and respect, also disapproved. Feeling unable to go against their advice (I was very young), I broke off the engagement. Was I wrong?
You were very young, and knew no better than to ask the advice of your elders and (as you thought then) betters.

You're older now, and painfully aware that some of your elders are vain, shallow and self-absorbed. Even the best of them can be made monkeys of by circumstance. What can I say? Your godmother tried...

Still, you never know. Keep your spirits up and things may work out for you in the end. ?

V

visitor

When I was nineteen, I met and fell in love with a young man who had many good qualities. We became engaged. However, he had no money. He was confident that he would be successful in his profession, but although honourable, it was very uncertain, even dangerous. My father disapproved of our engagement, and my godmother, whom I greatly love and respect, also disapproved. Feeling unable to go against their advice (I was very young), I broke off the engagement. Was I wrong?
Oh, you never know, you might get a second chance... I bet your fiancé was all at sea for a while.

V

visitor

Am I right to be worried about the new friend my son and daughter have made? She has apparently never been to school, is frequently left alone to look after herself and her father is often working away at sea. She has been known to get into the occasional altercation and is rumoured to have superhuman strength.

V

visitor

I am sure there was a similar thread somewhere on here, but I cannot find it, was I imagining it? I most certainly could be!

Last edited by a moderator:
V

visitor

I think you should try putting someone else first for a while- it might help you get a different perspective. Why not give your godmother’s house a clean? And take her shopping for a nice new dress- it’s not healthy for her to sit around in that old wedding dress.