Rats in house and getting a kitten or cat

Planthedgeandtree

*Deep breaths*
I saw a live rat in my house yesterday! Unfortunately, there has been more than one, so I got a post control man round, twice so far. He has put down humane traps and poison and fixed a non-return valve into the sewer area in the manhole. When he came back this week I said that I hadn't sen or heard any more.
There were lots of droppings in the attic, so he moved a trap to a different area.

I have left messages this morning asking them what to do, before he is due to return next week.

Anyone got any ideas for help?

Also, I was hoping to get a rescue cat, but they are all reserved or a long way away. So, a friend has some kittens... you can see where this is going... I can view them tomorrow.
I thought that a cat would be a deterrent.

I am working from home all week now, but wonder if a kitten is sensible as I can't devote all my time to it.

Thoughts, please!

lifestooshort123

No ideas or suggestions but couldn't 'read and run'. We had a rat in our bathroom many years ago - we never found out how he got there undetected, up the toilet or brought in and released by our massive rescue cat? Anyway, in the 90s pest control meant a bloke with a shotgun and a bucket and he did his dirty deed leaving bits of splat-a-rat on the walls. My darling son (about 12?) marched in with rubber gloves and detergent and disinfectant and left the room more sparkly than it had even been. I knew then he'd make a wonderful partner and dad.
Back to you rat. I'd be unhappy about introducing a kitten to the mix but a fat ugly tom with a torn ear would do the trick. Good luck and please update us if you can bear to.

Voice

We have a cat and he is a good hunter (something that might be tricky to identify with a kitten - I don’t know as we haven’t had one). He was a late developer in hunting... when we lived in a very built up area, he hunted nothing. Now we are pretty rural, he is out all the time. He may well keep them from living here (we don’t have any signs of mice/rats) - who knows -but he certainly brings them home!!! Mice and rabbits are his favourites.

DooLittle

a Big feral cat would be better than a kitten, do you know anyone who could “lend” you a cat for a day or so.

anyone with terriers who could tell you where they are so you know where to bait.

you can get sticky traps, but they’re cruel. Maybe as a last resort. Or as soon as the rats stuck hit it with something xx

Planthedgeandtree

We have a cat and he is a good hunter (something that might be tricky to identify with a kitten - I don’t know as we haven’t had one). He was a late developer in hunting... when we lived in a very built up area, he hunted nothing. Now we are pretty rural, he is out all the time. He may well keep them from living here (we don’t have any signs of mice/rats) - who knows -but he certainly brings them home!!! Mice and rabbits are his favourites.
That's one of my questions to myself: how would I know wheat kitten would be a good hunter? I could bring along a toy when I meet the kittens and see who reacts.

I have shut the door on the room where the rat was yesterday.

Or should I use some of the poison that the man left in another room, which hasn't been touched?

Voice

If it’s rats as well, that might be harder to get a cat to stop them coming in. We had a rat in the garden once and the cat (a fully fledged rabbit hunter at this point) looked at us like we were mad and walked off.

Planthedgeandtree

Many thanks for getting back to me, lovely MumsChatters.
Right, lots to think about...
Options are:
Buy a sonic rat deterrent, although it seems that they have had a mixed success rate;
Buy kitten!
Keep on with the pest control form;
Panic.

I need to find and remove the corpses next. The man couldn't see any and said they smell bad for 'only 'two weeks.

Really appreciating responses!

Horses Gallore

I could bring along a toy when I meet the kittens and see who reacts.
Neither of my last two cats reacted to toys, but one of them hunted. A cat will act as a deterrent, as will a dog, usually. Rats are a real problem everywhere. One of the neighbours cut down the bushes at the back of their garden and the rats living there moved under the neighbour's shed. She was having huge problems getting rid of them.

I hope you get a solution soon.

Planthedgeandtree

I have set up two rat traps inside! The instructions were useless and it turns out there is a very fiddly technique to setting them up. I found out what to do from YouTube and worked out the awkward bit myself. They are very sensitive to touch once you have sprung them and you have to be very careful.

The rat man says that the old fashioned traps are the most humane, so I chose what he used.
Horses, thank you; the hope is that a cat would be a deterrent because of the smell and presence.

Must get this sorted before a kitten moves in.

Planthedgeandtree

Right, the rat man came today and found that the 'new'rat is a late rat; the rat is no more for this world. It's been disposed of and another trap set, just in case.
He found places where rats could get into, but the main thing is that the sewer area is cut off.
I have quickly learnt a lot about rats and kittens...

Might be a stupid point, but make sure you don’t get bitten. I got bitten on the farm once, rang the doctors in case I needed a tetanus. had to go straight to the doctor there and then, a course of antibiotics and 6 injections (inc typhoid and hepatitis)

Really important point, thamks Doolittle, as the man told me that rat droppings have salmonella and their urine has all sorts of nasty stuff which remains for 30 days.
I have to clear up the area.

Oh God, I am behind with work now!

Horses Gallore

Fingers crossed that is the end of it. Have you thought of taking 2 kittens? They keep each other entertained and are, of course, double the trouble, but two cats tend to stick closer to home than a singleton. Of course, it is double the cost, too.

Dollydaydream

Am I the only person here who is horrified at the thought of a small and probably delicate kitten being introduced to a house with rats? A fully grown rat could possibly attack (and worse) a kitten! Adult cats are the only felines who have the speed and strength to capture rats in a home.

DooLittle

Am I the only person here who is horrified at the thought of a small and probably delicate kitten being introduced to a house with rats? A fully grown rat could possibly attack (and worse) a kitten! Adult cats are the only felines who have the speed and strength to capture rats in a home.
A few of us said not to get a kitten