Reasons you've stopped reading a book.

V

visitor

I stopped reading an absolute crap historical book which said Catherine de Valois was married to Edmund Tudor and that Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn got married in a country church. Ffs!

V

visitor

I am from the 'I've started so I'll finish' camp and then I spend hours, sometimes days, fuming about how appalling so-and-so's book was. I remember giving up on Middlemarch, though. Wading through pages of social commentary about some shitsville midlands town? I was praying for a page three alien invasion but no, no such luck.

V

visitor

The jury must die.

I've spent 4 years trying to read that book, but my god, it's slow.

V

visitor

I try to finish every book I start but there's been a few that I just really couldn't get into so much that it was starting to really piss me off, lol

V

visitor

I loved and still love The tea rose and the two follow ups, the winter rose and another I can't remember by Jennifer Donnelly.

Looked to see what else she wrote, and came across what turned out to be about mermaids...Ive never been so let down by an author in my life. I'm not convinced it's the same writer it's that bad.

V

visitor

Ive never been so let down by an author in my life. I'm not convinced it's the same writer it's that bad.
Sometimes it's not. I refuse to buy books by famous 'names' unless they have some writing pedigree (e.g. comedians who write their own material) as there's a good chance they may be ghost-written. I also suspect some of the bulk bestselling authors have delegated some of their writing.

V

visitor

I dislike books where they write unrealistic body descriptions just to help the story. For example

Kate looked into the mirror and examined her pert, ripe breasts and the smattering of freckles on her pretty upturned nose. She pushed back wispy red strands of hair and her steely blue eyes looked back at her.

it’s usually a male author but it feels weird to read. I have never looked at any friend in such a crude way so why would I want to read a description of my heroine like that?

It should be
Kate looked in the mirror and thought “I must get my roots done.” She looked to see how many grey hairs were there. Then she turned her face to the side and tried to squeeze a black head on the side of her nose. Then she rubbed out some mascara that had flaked on her cheek and wondered how long have I been walking around looking like that.

That is a realistic prose!

V

visitor

I have never stopped reading a book. I have thrown them across the room when the denouement failed to provide any motivation for the behaviors described in the book.
Then you have something in common with Jane Austen, who did the exact same!

V

visitor

I surprised myself and stopped two books recently.

the first was a murder mystery, and had too many people in it. I lost track who was who.

The second was a romance set in WW2. I gave up when one of the main characters met and married quickly after meeting. I just felt it wasn’t realistic.

V

visitor

Oh, I've just remembered one that I only finished under sufferance, because it was part of my degree. Clarissa. It was so long and so slow paced it made War and Peace look like Agatha Christie. Ironically the underlying story is quite the bodice ripper but the way it's told, from multiple points of view, in erudite, wordy and excruciating levels of detail, makes it feel like wading through setting concrete.

It makes you wonder just how much spare time Samuel Richardson's target readership must have had on their hands. Life might be longer in the 21st century but it's a heck of a lot busier, and we really can't spare the time. Although right now, there might just be a window - if you're a glutton for long, slow punishment. ?

V

visitor

I surprised myself and stopped two books recently.

the first was a murder mystery, and had too many people in it. I lost track who was who.

The second was a romance set in WW2. I gave up when one of the main characters met and married quickly after meeting. I just felt it wasn’t realistic.
My parents married 2 weeks after meeting in 1949 and were married for 40 years. I think it was quite common in postwar Europe because so many people lost previous partners during the war. My mother had 3 fiancés killed during the 1940-45 period. I asked her why they didn’t give it more time before the wedding, but she said they needed to be married in order to move to a new posting and that remaining as an unmarried couple wasn’t socially acceptable at the time. Not optimum prep for a lifetime together!

V

visitor

I also try to slog through even if I'm not really enjoying. There are a few (many of them mentioned here) that I simply couldn't cope with:
- Ulysses - I twice got about two thirds of the way through and realised life was too short.
- Catch 22 - infuriating
- A Dance To The Music of Time. It was just far too slow and so little happened. It was beautifully written but was just taking too long.

I loved the Hilary Mantel books but agree Wolf Hall was a slog and that Bringing Up The Bodies flowed better - I've yet to read the third.

I also loved Donna Tart's Secret History, which is set in a uni but there are definitely no vampires, unless I have missed something!

V

visitor

I usually try to read through to the end of a book. The three books that I've given up reading are:

The Hobbit- I found it quite long, tedious and couldn't get into it.

Lord of the Rings for the same reasons.

Pride and Prejudice - I found it boring.

V

visitor

One I almost gave up on was Gone Girl. I almost lost the will in the middle section and was so disappointed in the book I wished I'd been reading a physical book when I finished it so I could slam it shut.
I hated the characters in the first third, got a bit more into it in the second third and absolutely hated the ending