Shamima Begum

Penguin

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8411489/Home-Office-says-Shamima-Begums-fault-stripped-British-citizenship.html

Shamima Begum still wants to come back to the UK... the Home Office lawyer says that losing her citizenship is her own fault due to joining ISIS.

I am torn - clearly she was young and stupid, and why should Syria have to pick up the pieces? OTH, she seemed to manage life under ISIS quite happily until it all went tits up for her and she ended up in the refugee camp, and now suddenly she wants to come back to the UK.

What on earth do we do with these people, who I believe would prove a threat to the UK if they were allowed to return?

DouceFrance

It’s a tough one isn’t it?
see depending on circumstances I’m against deportation back to the original country of emigration, because a lot of people are trying to escape horrible situations to get a better life. She didn’t, she went to a country that was at war to be at war... not sure whose responsibility she is. not sure she’d have wanted to come had isis not been defeated... doesn’t seem like she was on the side of the yasidi women either...

Hotsoapywater

This is one I have been torn about.

But, she isn't stateless.

A small part of me says let her back. She would probably be useful to security services.

I need to think about this one.

DouceFrance

This is one I have been torn about.

But, she isn't stateless.

A small part of me says let her back. She would probably be useful to security services.

I need to think about this one.
I’m not sure she would much now, been too long out of it... and she wouldn’t have been privy to a lot of things, women aren’t seen as anything much under isis rule...
She was very likely blindsided, given a spiel about being a chosen one, enjoyed a life more privileged than other women if she was married to a fighter but not worth that much still... it is very sad in a way, but she wasn’t forced. I don’t know if she was coerced even... was she groomed? Again very likely but she was aware of who she was joining and that’s where my sympathies kind of stop... she knew the atrocities they commit, then and now, there are plenty of accounts of what they have done it’s not like she couldn’t have looked for herself. She wasn’t going as a saviour for anything, she was going to be the wife of a murderer. It’s so twisted

IdleWorm

I’d let her come back, arrest her on landing, put her on trial and deal with her according to the outcome of that. Rule of law. Due process. Justice being done and seen to be done.

Buzzcat

I don’t think she should ever be allowed back. She might have only been 15 when she went, but she went after seeing videos of the pilot being burnt alive in a cage, and innocent people being beheaded. That suggests her moral compass is completely screwed.

The Islamic ideology she was brought up owes far, far more to Bangladesh than the U.K. She and her ilk rejected everything this country stands for. This isn’t home. Legally she is entitled to Bangladeshi Citizenship. The Bangladeshi Government chose to organise their Citizenship that way. It’s not the big bad West imposing it on them.

As far as I am concerned she can rot in hell.

Boudicea1

There are far more deserving people who deserve sanctuary and safety that we should be campaigning for.

Let's not waste our, time, money or breath on her. Even her own UK family have disowned her, so where would she go?

Would we have to spend money on 'protecting' her? Give her a home? Give her social benefits?

Nah, she only wants to come back because is now a nobody where she is.

I have no sympathy whatsoever.

I dont want her back, but then I dont suppose the Syrians want her much either...
Then let them deal with her for the crimes she committed.

I will NEVER forget her sniggering on tv, when she was interviewed.

She thought it was fair game that heads were being discarded in a fucking bin.

No remorse at all.......until it suited her long game.

Fin

I’d let her come back, arrest her on landing, put her on trial and deal with her according to the outcome of that. Rule of law. Due process. Justice being done and seen to be done.
My only issue with that is she would most likely get a tap on the back of the hand and sent on her merry way back into the community. The justice system in this country stinks.

Sorry I have absolutely no sympathy for her whatsoever.

She didn't come across well when interviewed either.

Boudicea1

With the UK justice system she'd be given a slap on the wrist. She should not be allowed back.

We have far better things to spend our taxes on than giving her a 'fair' trial.

She certainly wasn't remorseful for her thoughts/feelings/deeds when she was with Isis.

IF she came back here she would be a nightmare for own security services - and they have enough to be dealing with.