Soap making?

Cinnamon Square

IMG_20200512_201722__01.jpg

It is very orange!

I took it out of the mold after about 4 hours. Most things say melt and pour is set after 4-6 hours depending on how warm or cool your room is.

These are definitely just for me right now! I think if I attempt cold process (which does look fun!) I would gift them because you get a larger batch. I suppose the advantage of m&p is that you can make 1 bar at a time.

StripeySpots

View attachment 1029

It is very orange!

I took it out of the mold after about 4 hours. Most things say melt and pour is set after 4-6 hours depending on how warm or cool your room is.

These are definitely just for me right now! I think if I attempt cold process (which does look fun!) I would gift them because you get a larger batch. I suppose the advantage of m&p is that you can make 1 bar at a time.
A very good first attempt. Now you have to have a bath to try it out!

Cinnamon Square

@Banananana Did you ever give this a go? I would love to trade notes!

I've properly been bitten by the bug. I had another go at the melt and pour, toned down the fragrance oil and have a nice looking apricot & pear scented soap.

After watching a lot of YouTube videos I decided I wanted to give cold process a try. I want a soap that cleanses, lathers well, isn't too drying, and smells nice (don't ask much do I?!). So read a lot of blogs, looked on some soap making websites and settled on a mixture of olive oil, coconut oil and almond oil. All the gubbins arrived this morning and I've given it a go this afternoon.

I didn't spill anything or end up with any burns so that part was successful! Went with neroli scent again and a toned down the dye from last time by using a pipette. It still looks very orange in the mould but may fade as it hardens?? It was only 1ml!

Here's a photo and my made-up recipe:

PSX_20200527_171405.jpg

Each of the rectangle sections holds about 110g of water (with a small gap at the top) so I was aiming for about 440g of soap batter (it was about 420g)

Lye concentration = 40%
Superfat = 5%

Ingredients
Sodium hydroxide = 45g
Water = 67g
Olive oil (pomace) = 154g
Coconut oil = 123g
Almond oil = 30g

Colour = 1ml
Fragrance oil = 10ml

I went relatively high with the percentage of coconut oil for the cleansing and hardening properties, but apparently it can be drying. It's not something I really have to worry about but will see what happens and may have to adjust.

I also did the financial maths because I wanted to work out just how expensive a hobby this might be! With the essential oil fragrance, it works out at 99p per bar and without it is 45p per bar. 45p a bar is cheaper than Dove and about on a par with Tesco's own. So I think this hobby is here to stay!

Reinette Pompador

I used to make soap many years ago. I used the cold press method where you need to cure the soap for 6-8 weeks before cutting and using. Everyone was always very nice about receiving soap as a gift but I stopped making it when I found both my mum and my friend had a very large collection of my homemade soap in their bathroom cupboards unused.
For general advice I find https://www.soapqueen.com/ to be good.

Cinnamon Square

I used to make soap many years ago. I used the cold press method where you need to cure the soap for 6-8 weeks before cutting and using. Everyone was always very nice about receiving soap as a gift but I stopped making it when I found both my mum and my friend had a very large collection of my homemade soap in their bathroom cupboards unused.
The soapqueen was where I found a good blog about which oils have which properties 👍🏻

I think what I make will be just for me as the single-cavity moulds mean small batches are manageable. My mum will occasionally want one for her guest loo 😁

StripeySpots

Awww! Did you ask them why they didn’t use it? I would have been so upset to find it all shoved away unused. ☹

Reinette Pompador

The soapqueen was where I found a good blog about which oils have which properties 👍🏻

I think what I make will be just for me as the single-cavity moulds mean small batches are manageable. My mum will occasionally want one for her guest loo 😁
Rose hip oil is very good for mature skin. It has healing/repairing properties for damaged skin and I always used it. It doesn’t smell so you can use it with your preferred scent, I used to use it with rose, orange blossom essential oil or jasmine. The jasmine can be really pungent so be careful with it. Enjoy your soap making 😁

Awww! Did you ask them why they didn’t use it? I would have been so upset to find it all shoved away unused. ☹
Yes, they said they preferred other soaps/shower gels etc and rarely used bars. Also I gave them more than they could realistically use. Honestly I really don’t see how 15/20 bars of soap is too many 🤷🏻‍♀️😂🤣

Fin

We use bar soap all the time, have done for years. Currently it's Highland Soap Company's Rosehip & Patchouli, husband's not keen 😁. They didn't have any bog myrtle left which is our favourite. It's really going to be the closest we'll get to handmade soap!

StripeySpots

We use bar soap all the time, have done for years. Currently it's Highland Soap Company's Rosehip & Patchouli, husband's not keen 😁. They didn't have any bog myrtle left which is our favourite. It's really going to be the closest we'll get to handmade soap!
We also use bar soap. We have a bar in the shower and one at the bath side. We are currently using Cidal, which is antibacterial due to natural grapefruit extracts. My two teenagers and I have got oily skin so Cidal is great for that. I have asked DH to get some Pear’s original soap when he goes shopping as I love the smell. Apparently, the massive Tesco Extra he goes to does not sell it! Looked online but it is over £3 a bar. I can’t wait to get in Home Bargains as I am sure they will stock it.

Fin

We also use bar soap. We have a bar in the shower and one at the bath side. We are currently using Cidal, which is antibacterial due to natural grapefruit extracts. My two teenagers and I have got oily skin so Cidal is great for that. I have asked DH to get some Pear’s original soap when he goes shopping as I love the smell. Apparently, the massive Tesco Extra he goes to does not sell it! Looked online but it is over £3 a bar. I can’t wait to get in Home Bargains as I am sure they will stock it.
Superdrug do it at 79p a bar! Pears soap

StripeySpots

Superdrug do it at 79p a bar! Pears soap
Wooohooo! 🎈🎈🎈🎈

Now, that is a bargain! I might make a bulk order. I think you get free shipping on there if you spend over a tenner.

At the start of the lockdown, liquid hand soap was sold out everywhere. Eventually, DH went shopping and found the only liquid soap left was Pear’s so he bought two. It was rather pricey compared to what we normally buy, but what a difference! It smells beautiful and is enriched with lots of nourishing oils. We are halfway down the last bottle and I need more! He can’t ruddy well find it anywhere now!

Just checked on Superdrug and it is on special offer for just £1.32 a bottle 😮. I am definitely making a bulk Pear’s order tonight!

Soap of the Gods

• Love
Reactions: Fin

Cinnamon Square

I thought I'd come back and update on my experiment now that the bars have cured and we've been using them.

The recipe I posted above made a lovely soap - really moisturising and lathers well. But it is quite a soft soap still, despite the higher % of coconut oil. I want to say it's slimy but that's not quite the right word as it makes it sound like it's horrible and it's not. I think it works beautifully in the shower but less so as a hand soap.

I've done some more research and shopping and am going to try another recipe this weekend in my aim for a hard, long-lasting bar that is cleansing but also feels lovely on the skin and moisturises a bit - that is my holy grail!

I've come up with this recipe and will make it this weekend:

Olive oil (pomace) = 20%
Macadamia nut oil = 10%
Almond oil = 5%
Castor oil = 5%
Coconut oil = 40%
Cocoa butter = 10%
Babassu oil = 10%

Lye concentration = 40%
Super fat = 5%

I'm thinking that a 60/40 split of hard to soft oils will give me a harder bar, but that the soft oils I've chosen will add the moisture and lathering. Debating whether to go a bit higher with the superfat, maybe 7 or 8%, but that could leave me with some of the sliminess I don't want. I think I will stick with 5% as my starting point.

I will update with the experiment results

StripeySpots

I thought I'd come back and update on my experiment now that the bars have cured and we've been using them.

The recipe I posted above made a lovely soap - really moisturising and lathers well. But it is quite a soft soap still, despite the higher % of coconut oil. I want to say it's slimy but that's not quite the right word as it makes it sound like it's horrible and it's not. I think it works beautifully in the shower but less so as a hand soap.

I've done some more research and shopping and am going to try another recipe this weekend in my aim for a hard, long-lasting bar that is cleansing but also feels lovely on the skin and moisturises a bit - that is my holy grail!

I've come up with this recipe and will make it this weekend:

Olive oil (pomace) = 20%
Macadamia nut oil = 10%
Almond oil = 5%
Castor oil = 5%
Coconut oil = 40%
Cocoa butter = 10%
Babassu oil = 10%

Lye concentration = 40%
Super fat = 5%

I'm thinking that a 60/40 split of hard to soft oils will give me a harder bar, but that the soft oils I've chosen will add the moisture and lathering. Debating whether to go a bit higher with the superfat, maybe 7 or 8%, but that could leave me with some of the sliminess I don't want. I think I will stick with 5% as my starting point.

I will update with the experiment results
You sound quite the expert now! Please update us with results plus pics. I am enjoying following your progress.

Cinnamon Square

Freshly poured (yesterday):

PSX_20200627_152946.jpg

And freshly unmoulded (today):

PSX_20200627_153008.jpg

I'm loving how this one looks and the colour it has become - it looks so pure! There's no added colour or fragrance oil in it. The faint smell of the cocoa butter comes through which is lovely.

I just washed my hands with the bits I shaved off the bottom to tidy them up and I think I'm really going to like this one. It is already quite hard. Might only need to cure for 2-3 weeks rather than 4 due to the high hard oil content and the lye concentration being on the high side, so less water in it to start with.

StripeySpots

Freshly poured (yesterday):

View attachment 2352

And freshly unmoulded (today):

View attachment 2353

I'm loving how this one looks and the colour it has become - it looks so pure! There's no added colour or fragrance oil in it. The faint smell of the cocoa butter comes through which is lovely.

I just washed my hands with the bits I shaved off the bottom to tidy them up and I think I'm really going to like this one. It is already quite hard. Might only need to cure for 2-3 weeks rather than 4 due to the high hard oil content and the lye concentration being on the high side, so less water in it to start with.
Oh, they look so clean and pure. Lovely shape too. Let us know what they are like to use when they have cured fully.