Taking The Plunge

Archewell

On Wednesday I shall be getting my hair cut at last.

Since I gave up smoking seven months ago, I have gained a lot of weight. Some of this has been due to lockdown boredom. Mostly it is because I seem to have lost my self-control.

I think I might be able to restart my healthy eating regime once my hair doesn't look a complete mess. I realise that that sounds a little odd, but I find that I have to be in a certain mindset to make good, healthy choices.

Over eighteen months, I lost six stone. I do not know how much I have put back on, but some of my clothes are very tight, and I can when I look in the mirror that I have gained quite a few pounds.

Or maybe stones.........

Does anyone want to join me? I am so disappointed with myself. I was even considering starting smoking again, when I was thinking about all this in the middle of the night.

Otters Rule

Make that three, if you don't mind if I join in. I lost weight at the start of lockdown. Too anxious to eat and keen not to make massive inroads into the brexit stash. Well, that all changed...

Re having a haircut, I've found I always feel more on the ball when I've had my hair cut. I was going to say 'more intelligent' but that's a stretch!

StalkingButler

Ahh Archewell, I’m with you. I gave up smoking a year ago and prior to that I’d lost 5 stones in 10 months but a spell in hospital and a long recovery plus lockdown has seen me put 2 stones back on...on the bright side, I’ve kept three off....but I’m also finding my (newer, smaller) clothes are a bit snug!

I know I can do it but weirdly, just like you, the ability to have other things like a hair cut, colour and a manicure will help! Unfortunately, my appointment isn’t til September so I’m using that as a weight loss target instead!

horsesgallore

I need to lose weight for my daughter's wedding in 2 years. But I'm bone idle and too many bits of me crunch even when I'm sitting down to make anything other than a gentle walk appealing. I expect being back at work will help, when I eventually get back to work, and I stop eating biscuits...

Otters Rule

I'm a smoker... I reckon if I gave up smoking I'd have better lung function and be able to walk faster than I do. It hasn't made me slimmer... but there's the risk I'll eat more if I don't use the time I would have spent smoking snacking.

My cunning plan is to drink water instead of smoking or eating. This will have the knock-on effect of:

a) keeping a truly significant amount of my time spent occupied in the loo, and

b) a significant amount of time jigging around on the spot when there's no immediate prospect of finding or getting to a loo. All bonus exercise!

CharlieAlphaWhiskey

I too am having my hair cut tomorrow and can't wait!

I also need to lose a fair bit of weight. A good 3-4 stone I reckon (too scared to check). I did lose almost 3 stone a couple of years ago but I think I've put every last pound back on. My issues are stress (I comfort eat) and working from home (kitchen is too accessible). I've worked from home for several years and that was the beginning of the end when it came to my figure.

I will try my best to join you. I have so little willpower, and a couple of stress triggers right now, so not sure how well I'll do.

DouceFrance

I permed my hair. Bought a solution online with rods and was planning on mr d to put them in but my neighbour offered to do it ( she is an ex hair dresser) I’ve got waves as opposed to Shirley temple curls but I’m loving it and has motivated me to start losing weight so I get your reasoning archewell, so please count me in, the week of stale slim fast did sod all ( I know it was just a week) but I’d be up for a bit companionship through trying to lose some weight. 👍

Nelly

I have also put weight on during lockdown, I got on the scales and have put 9lbs on, I haven’t really been over eating, I know what has caused this, going for a walk and stopping off at the local corner shop and buying the fresh baked french stick and a bar of chocolate, also having tea with biscuits.

I know if I cut these out, the weight will go down, in reality our whole life has changed, no cinema, no eating out, no mooching around the shops, no boat trips up the Thames, no looking around a market, now all I/we do is go walking or using the treadmill which I hate with a vengeance, so what is left? eating things I haven’t eaten for a long long time, then when eaten I have a big guilt trip.

I lost 5 stone in 2016/17, I have kept the weight off, it goes up and down by 1lb to 3lb which is ok by me, but now 9lbs is a big no no, also having the big fight in your head with eat it don’t eat it, erghh so annoying.

I am determined not to go in the corner shop and buy the french bread/chocolate bar from today, I should do another route with no shops on route, grhh weight issues are horrible.

OP
OP
Archewell

Archewell

As well as eating too much while we've been on lockdown, I have definitely been drinking more alcohol, too.

I am sure that just by not having a couple of G & Ts in the evening, or three glasses of sherry, I will lose weight.

I went to the shops today (wearing a mask for the first time) and had to resist putting a bottle of gin in the trolley. It has become a habit.

Nelly

I am sure that just by not having a couple of G & Ts in the evening, or three glasses of sherry, I will lose weight.
I always think that drinking any kind of liquids are invisible calories that you don’t see, so don’t take them into account, which is so easily done without thinking about it.

Don‘t be to hard on yourself, life is bad at the moment, the not seeing the end of it anytime soon, just makes things worse, everything that we all have taken for granted before has more or less been taken away from us, all there is to do for a lot of people (me included, though I don’t drink alcohol) is eat and drink more for comfort and some normality and that is something they cannot take away from us our enjoyment of food and a drink.

I was naughty earlier, I ate a Milky Bar that has smarties in it, then felt as guilty as hell.

Cathulhu

I'm already trying. I've been doing a HIIT challenge and calorie counting. I need two stone off. I've lost an inch off my waist and 3lb so far.

I caved and ate a whole pizza and an empire biscuit yesterday.

OP
OP
Archewell

Archewell

I caved and ate a whole pizza and an empire biscuit yesterday.
OMG I love Empire Biscuits. A lady who lives across the road makes them, and gives them to all her neighbours. They are a particularly Scottish treat, along with square sausage* and Stornoway black pudding.

I also love pancakes. Mmmmmm.

*I am also very fond of circular square sausage.

1eyedcoot

Can I join?

Too many of my clothes are getting uncomfortable to wear and I need to start running again (espcially if I want this particular job where I HAVE to be fit)

I'm another who misses smoking. So much...so, so much.

How do you get a circular square sausage @Archewell ?

Sukysue

I always think that drinking any kind of liquids are invisible calories that you don’t see, so don’t take them into account, which is so easily done without thinking about it.

Don‘t be to hard on yourself, life is bad at the moment, the not seeing the end of it anytime soon, just makes things worse, everything that we all have taken for granted before has more or less been taken away from us, all there is to do for a lot of people (me included, though I don’t drink alcohol) is eat and drink more for comfort and some normality and that is something they cannot take away from us our enjoyment of food and a drink.

I was naughty earlier, I ate a Milky Bar that has smarties in it, then felt as guilty as hell.
Have not seen these l will have to put my diet plans on hold till l try one of these . l am not even joking !