Talk your travel style to me....

Fortress24

Given I asked for this forum let's kick it off with a broad one!

What is your travel 'style'!?

For me it is a 2 week, AO (Adults Only), AI (All Inclusive) 5* in the Carribbean once a year.

Then thoughout the year it is short breaks in the UK, either Spa Hotels or Air B & Bs in areas we want to explore.

I would love to explore more widely, but my job is sooo stressful and so my annual leave is so precious and all I want to do is crash on a beach in the sun and relax with a book and cocktails with beautiful surrondings ans restaurants.

There is alot of anobbery surronding AIs but I definitely think it depends on the sort of AIs you have experienced. We are loyal return guests of one particular chain and it is heaven every year.

Let's hear your travel style!

CharlieAlphaWhiskey

We're sort of in a transition period. My daughters are 19 and 21 but still live at home and want to holiday with us. We try to book a villa with a pool, somewhere near a beach, as husband and I like to completely relax in the sun with a book, sunbathe etc. Girls however get bored very easily just sitting around and want to go out and explore. They're not quite confident enough to go out on their own in a foreign country. I don't mind going out a few times if it's a two week holiday, but I don't want to spend most of the vacation traipsing around.

My husband is due an inheritance soon (once probate is complete) and has hinted at spending some of the money on buying a holiday place abroad. I'm not sure about this idea as I don't think I'd want to go back to the same place every year. As it is he always wants to go Spain or Portugal, but I'd like to see other places. If he gets his way it will be somewhere near a golf course :(

DangerCat

Have to say I went on a AI adult only holiday in Mexico in January and it was fucking amazing. I’m so glad we did it before the covid shit-show.

Socks

I'm an either or.
By that I either like a beach place Where I pretty much don't leave the hotel in which case I'm 4*/5* all inclusive somewhere fairly long flown the ease of a package holiday sometimes is just too hard to turn down. The last one we did of these was Mexico too.

Or I love a European city break a 3-5 night explore some nice food and just to emerce myself.

I was due to explore some more of the states this year this won't happen now I don't think until next year.

CharlieAlphaWhiskey

I'd like to do an AI adult only holiday at some point.

This year I was supposed to take my elder daughter to New York as she turned 21(just the two of us). As much as I wanted to see this city, the burden of planning all the sights we wanted to see into our 4 day trip almost finished me. As it was the US closed their borders 4 days before we were due to travel so we never made it.

Socks

I'd like to do an AI adult only holiday at some point.

This year I was supposed to take my elder daughter to New York as she turned 21(just the two of us). As much as I wanted to see this city, the burden of planning all the sights we wanted to see into our 4 day trip almost finished me. As it was the US closed their borders 4 days before we were due to travel so we never made it.
I was due to Vegas that following week they closed the borders on the Saturday I was travelling to London ahead of Vegas the following Saturday.

New York is my very favourite place ever.

Toooldtobearsed3

I think I have 'done' them all, and all of them has their merits and wonderful memories.
We have Butlined with grand daughter, middle aged backpacked around Thailand, done the all inclusive in Mexico and Spain, done the driving stuff and safaris in South Africa.
Cruised several times, holidayed in China and Russia.

I bloody love a self catering apartment in Tenerife in the middle of winter and a weekend away in the Peak District 😁

We have a motorhome, so 'do' most of the UK throughout the year, and to be honest, it's all I want now.

Struggling to be arsed with all the packing, airport shenanigans, transfers, the washing when you get back, the dogs at the mad woman's..........

Bugger! I am quite enjoying lockdown 😂😂😂

Miseramel

We are 'on the go' types and pretty much explore every day when we are somewhere new (or even when we've been somewhere before). We tend to come back in the afternoon and relax for a bit before going out for dinner. Hardly ever eat the hotel we are staying at apart from breakfast.

I think the longest we've stayed put in one place was 6 nights in NY which felt too long so we do move a lot as we both love exploring.

In saying that, our last holiday we realised we couldn't hack the pace anymore 🤣 our daughter also isn't into it as much as we are. She'd be happy to sit in the hotel and swim in the pool all day.

So I'm thinking, going forward we'll be doing longer stays in one place with a few days of forced relaxation mixed in with some exploring. Best of both worlds then.

Never done an AI but would like to try it, we did go on a cruise once for our wedding anniversary. That was different!! took us a few days to relax but then we got into the cocktails by the pool vibe and had a great time (helps that we were child free 😁)

mamabear

We always go AI, but can’t do AO because of teenage kids. It sounds lazy, but I really don’t want to be spending my holiday working out where to get food etc. Also like to spend my time lying by the pool with maybe one trip.

IdleWorm

We do a two week tropical AI every year (not this year 🤬). We’ve been to the Maldives, Mauritius, Barbados and the Dominican Republic. We keep going back to the same resort in the Maldives because it’s so fab.
In a good year we also do a week self catering in the Med- we’ve been to Croatia, Corfu, Kefalonia and Tuscany (ok not strictly Med)
In a really good year we also do a long weekend city break- Rome, Venice, Barcelona, Dubrovnik, but the absolute favourite is Florence.
Everything currently crossed that a week in Croatia (Split and Hvar) and a weekend in Florence will go ahead late Summer 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Fin

It depends where we go. Last holiday at the beginning of the year we were in 5 different hotels of varying levels from 3 star to 5 star all B&B. Even the three stars were fantastic, we chose them as we were only spending a few nights in them. Two weeks of the holiday we spent in a 5 star spa resort which was magnificent, two spa treatments each per day included in the room rate, each villa had its own good sized private pool. We were B&B but the prices for food and drink were extremely reasonable compared to other places we have stayed. We also like glamping but it has to have an en-suite loo! Currently looking at one for later in the year that is only accessible by boat.

Emily

We have never do AO since have children. I would usually not go AI as we like to try all different places.

I love beachy relaxing holidays, Mustique/Bali/Maldives but NYC is my favourite place on earth and I love taking a couple of weeks and just immersing myself.

We are quite lucky that for our favourite places we normally only need to book flights and you can’t beat flying first class.

GinFairy

These days I am a business flight and quiet boutique hotel in exotic location for 3 or 4 weeks type of person as there is just me! The quiet boutique hotel must also offer Ayurveda, which makes it AI de facto (and no booze)!
When we were holidaying en famille AI would have been good on a couple of trips as we had a ravenous teenager. Agree with other posters, there is AI and AI, personally I wouldn't care to have to wear a bracelet throughout my holiday.
When not doing the Ayurveda stuff I often tack on a few days at a good hotel, but on a bed and breakfast basis, so I can choose where to eat lunch/supper, although I often don't bother as heat robs me of my appetite.
Just discovered yesterday that my destination of choice will be open for business again from the beginning of August, so am currently weighing up options. Sadly I have already realised that the flight prices are rather more expensive than last year :-(

Fin

The quiet boutique hotel must also offer Ayurveda
My husband went to an Ayurvedic retreat in the mountains in India for 3 weeks to de stress after work burnout and it worked wonders for him. He wanted me to go but it was too basic for me, I like plush and it was far from it. Plus there had been a tiger prowling about the tea plantation for a couple of days and loads of monkeys roaming about, both of which gave me the shivers. It had amazing WiFi though, I streamed an F1 Grand Prix to his laptop from our TV via FaceTime 😂.

DropZoneOne

Since having my daughter ... shorthaul, beach, all inclusive, family friendly. I used to work for First Choice and remember touring one of their Holiday Villages (when they were a new concept), and saying to a colleague I'd never stay at one. A few years later, we'd both been to one and admitted they served a very good purpose 😆

Pre child, it was longhaul all inclusive, 5* adults only.

I'd like to do more city breaks, but think it'll be a few more years before I can do that, either when daughter will be interested or we can leave her behind.

LilyThePink

Usually I spend about 100 nights a year in hotels (was 150 at one point). Mixture of work and lots of holidays. I have now had 44 flights cancelled so far and I can just see Singapore had vanished off the BA booking list tonight.

We have worked though the luxury hotels phase and are now more at the interesting places phase.

The only place I have done AI that I can recall (but no drinks but included daily trips/activities) is the al maha a few years ago https://www.marriott.com/hotels/tra...uxury-collection-desert-resort-and-spa-dubai/

This is probably my current favourite hotel

This was my most fun trip last year- in the middle of winter

LilyThePink

@LilyThePink that sounds like a full time job trying to recover all of those flight costs!
58 now- the record this week was booked once on Wednesday evening and woke up Thursday morning to a cancellation.

The airlines are easy- the hotels are mixed.
The worst are the Sofitel LHR and the Radisson Manchester Airport who wont refund and car parking at London City whose recorded messages says they will be back after the bank holiday- I have no idea which one.

Currently live- but who knows
Scotland via Manchester and LHR
Italy
Greece
USA
USA
Helsinki
USA

That takes us to Easter 2021.

Fin

The worst are the Sofitel LHR
We stayed there earlier this year and a few weeks later I got a bill for a stay that was taken while we were out of the country. It had someone else's personal details, including their home address along with other personal details. I was not happy and filed a complaint regarding their breach of data protection.

Duchessofmanchester

I'm definately a luxury kinda girl....5 star adults only all inclusive. I refuse point blank to camp or glamp. Just because there's fairy lights up does not make it glamorous!
I love the lakes and the countryside don't get me wrong but hotels were built for a reason!