To think this is a bit cheeky?

Casperron

I’ve just started a baking business, a week tomorrow, it’s been so popular and made 18 orders in just 6 days, managed to get 750 followers on Instagram too. However I’ve had “influencers” left right and centre o practically begging me for stuff. One of them has said she’s thinking of making an order etc... then to say “do you have a discount code for bloggers, I’ll post on my story if you do” she has 8000 followers, I don’t think that’s a lot to be honest in this day and age, you can probably buy 8000 followers for £50. If you really want to support small businesses don’t ask them for a discount in their first week of business. My products are quite reasonably priced too. Is it cheeky or acceptable from an influencer? I wouldn’t dare dream of thinking I’m that entitled to freebies or discounts because I have 8000 followers

Otters Rule

This is my utterly biased view. I loathe the whole influencer thing. I think it is craven to put oneself out there as an 'influencer'. I don't see how a person can declare themselves an influencer when there is nothing to warrant it. It is a title others decide to bestow.

Casperon has experienced the joy of a wheedling non- influencer who is labouring under the misapprehension that they have something to offer Casperon.

And what really gets my goat is that they expect a start-up business to give its services (= time, money, and goodwill) to them at a knock-down price or no charge. They don't buy the service at full-cost and then, if they like the product, endorse it. No. It's all about them and their self-importance.

The decision to offer special rates has to be that of the business proprietor. (Mates rates usually sets you on a course for a hiding to nothing too - as an aside.)

@Casperon. I think I would be inclined to turn the tables and go back to her with an 'offer'. She buys the product at full price and if her influence is such that her recommendation leads you to a specific and quantifiable number of sales over a specific period then you will offer her x at y disounted rate (or for free) with a time limit set beyond which you are no longer obligated!

I meant to say congratulations on your new business 🥮🍰🍪🍩🥨

Last edited:

1eyedcoot

Very cheeky.

I hate all this influencer stuff. Pay for it, then review it. Tag in the product and you may be surprised - you would gain a better relationship with companies that way instead of immediately outing yourself as a freeloader. By posting your review to them first, they may be willing to ask you to try more things, or improve things with your help. THAT will make you more popular with the companies, not so called followers.

DouceFrance

I don’t understand influencers, if I see something that someone is promoting, I’ll research it from different sources before buying so influencers have real effects on me. Yeah I think it’s cheeky of her to ask for something for free to « advertise » your products, as you’ve only started and she has « only 8k » followers

GrigioGirl

So much for supporting independent businesses! Downright cheeky if you ask me, there is always someone who wants something for nothing.
Stick with your principles and I am sure you will do well. Good luck and congratulations in your new venture

1eyedcoot

Seeing stuff promoted by 'influencers' actively puts me off it. So much so that I'd go out of my way to buy something else.
Me too. I refuse to buy any method products because of whats her face, that hinch woman telling me how to suck eggs, and that Zoella...well...just No.

Eliza

Me too. I refuse to buy any method products because of whats her face, that hinch woman telling me how to suck eggs, and that Zoella...well...just No.
Is she promoting method now? Why's that? Cos she's got a baby? At least he isn't breathing in all those chemicals now 👏

1eyedcoot

I don't know...someone like that was...it may have been The organised mum one...one of them did.

I don't like method products anyway.

StLouis

If you wanted any publicity by giving away free cakes, you’d be better off doing something charity related/key workers but otherwise just carry on baking, you’re obviously doing something right