Travelling to the Netherlands from the UK

Magenta

The Dutch Government website states that people from the UK are strongly advised to quarantine for 14 days on entry to the Netherlands. I have had a holiday booked there for the end of this month for over a year. I don't know if that means I will have to quarantine for 14 days (which I can't because the holiday is only a week long) or if it's at my discretion. Will I be allowed in for my week long holiday or is it not worth making the journey as I will be turned back by Dutch border control?

Any advice/points of view very welcome, thank you.

Wotcheroo

You could get a covid test the day before you travel?
Then you are travelling with a negative result officially.
My family needed a test and the result cane back in less than 12 hours. Very impressed with the speed

OP
OP
M

Magenta

Thank you for replying. Where did you get your tests? If we had negative tests do you think that negates the quarantine clause? Maybe I should email them for advice. It's just not at all clear.

Wotcheroo

Look up NHS online
You can book an at home test, or a drive through one. We did the drive thru on the same day, no queues, 11 hour turnaround for the results. Very impressed. And tbh anyone could get a test if they just wanted one. Just tick boxes to answer on the webpage.

CharlieAlphaWhiskey

I think you should be ok. The quarantine advice applies to residents of countries for which the travel ban hasn't been lifted. UK isn't in that category.

OP
OP
M

Magenta

Hi Charlie What is confusing is if you click on the FAQs link from the page in your post, it states that the quarantine is strongly advised for Sweden, the UK and two specific areas in Portugal. That's what I'm concerned about.

DropZoneOne

Strongly advised is just that, advice. There are other countries listed on the Dutch website that it says "need" to quarantine, so I'd say it looks ok.

OP
OP
M

Magenta

Thank you, DropZoneOne. Believe it or not I'm normally pretty pragmatic but I think I've gone stir crazy since March and don't know what to do for the best. I know I could really do with a holiday!

Hotsoapywater

Magenta, where are you booked for staying?

I'm travelling home to Austria in October and they have quarantine rules in place for inbound flights from the UK. I've checked with the Austrian authorities and while it may be subject to change, i don't have to quarantine as I'm on an Austrian passport, however my GD could possibly have to but as she is staying with me and my family and only there for a week, she will not be subject to restrictions if they're still in place.

Is your airline providing the equivalent of what we used to have, landing cards? I think you will be fine.

Gin&ASplashOfTonic

I understand people want to go on holiday, but please think of the residents in the country you plan on going. We live in Spain, the tourists are piling in, it's been on the local news the last few days that cases are creeping up again.

I wish people wouldn't come here on holiday this year, please don't. We want our kids to be able to go back to school in September. If we get a big second wave that's not going to happen.

I get you want holidays, but we live here. Please let us get this under control and don't risk bringing more covid here.

Sookster

I'm flying from Singapore to Amsterdam then transiting to Aberdeen on Friday. My flight was booked for April but has obviously been changed. The times and dates have changed so much. What used to be a two hour window to get the next flight is now 10 hours. I have booked a "cabin" in the airport so I will get a shower, a sleep and not be in the airport for any longer than necessary.
I do the long haul yearly mainly alone but this time I'm feeling a bit apprehensive.
I will obviously be wearing a mask and be in Yotel for the majority of my time in the airport.