Was this the right thing to do?

mamabear

DD told me earlier that she’d sent an email to a school (not one near us) about a pupil being racist on Tiktok. Obviously not a problem that she’s standing up against racism, but the child isn’t someone she knows. DD found this child’s school by looking through her other Tiktok videos. Will DD get in trouble for doing this?

Seeitnowsorted

I don’t see why not - if it in the public domain then they should be prepared for this. I take it that they aren’t young children?

Seeitnowsorted

I would take it that they will use it as an educating opportunity then, so I would think that if anything your daughter has definitely done the right thing - by educating at her age the hopefully they may be able to make a major difference to her

HeavenAndHell

On the one hand, this could be a valuable lesson for the young girl (and her parents) about racism, strangers accessing social media, and how to behave online. Did your daughter include the video as evidence? Not sure what would happen as a result of her email if not.

I'd wonder how your daughter came across the account and found out what school the child goes to? And what she hopes will happen to the child? Doxxing/'exposing' is strongly encouraged as a knee jerk reaction by some on social media so people lose their job, place at uni etc.

Fairypop

I would take it that they will use it as an educating opportunity then, so I would think that if anything your daughter has definitely done the right thing - by educating at her age the hopefully they may be able to make a major difference to her
I also would like to think that her actions would serve as educational in two ways. Firstly, obviously regarding racism, although by the sounds of it the child is still quite young, so hopefully this will be dealt with in an age appropriate way. In addition to that though, hopefully it’ll teach her/her parents the potential dangers of TikTok/the internet - especially if your school is so easily traceable.

I can’t imagine that your daughter would get in trouble in any way. Having said that, I do think perhaps she could’ve spoken to you about it first & decided on what (if any) action to take. Just my opinion though of course - I’m just very wary about the other child’s age.

GreatBarrierIsland

But what does 'being racist' mean in this context? There are obvious forms of racism but there are also other things that some people believe to be racist and others don't.

Without knowing exactly what was said it's hard to say if she did the right thing or not. But to be honest I do find it bit of an odd thing to do.

Turncoat1

I would say it was fine if the kid was the same age as your daughter but a 9 year old? Sorry I think that’s a bit much.

But your daughter won’t get into trouble, she’s done nothing wrong, so don’t worry about it.

(I’m also aghast at a 9 yr old being on Tiktok, where’s the bloody parents?)

1eyedcoot

I don't know what is going to happen. Especially as tensions are so high.
It's understandable why she did it though. Have you/could you explain that next time to tell you and let you deal with it?

Hotsoapywater

I'm with Great Barrier here - what is your daughter's understanding of racism and how is a 9 year old defined as being racist? It is an extreme allegation to make about a child.

While I don't thi k your daughter will be in trouble, I think it quite bold that she has taken it upon herself to email the child's school. I admire her tenacity but this reportng people, in this case, a child is a culture that is growing. For me, were it my GD (13) I'd hope she would discuss with her mother taking it upon herself to contact schools and other authorities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mamabear

what is your daughter's understanding of racism and how is a 9 year old defined as being racist?
The girl was doing that thing where you pull your eyes out to make fun of Asians and it had an audio clip of somebody saying ching chong behind it, so I agree that it was racist.

Hotsoapywater

The girl was doing that thing where you pull your eyes out to make fun of Asians and it had an audio clip of somebody saying ching chong behind it, so I agree that it was racist.
Fair enough. What was your daughter hoping to happen by emailing the child's school?

GreatBarrierIsland

I think it's likely that a child of nine would have seen someone else doing it and was copying them rather than launching a racist attack on Asians. If I had caught one of my children doing it, I would have explained that it wasn't polite or respectful and could they not do it any more please.

But if the school had approached me to say that a complete stranger had been in touch with them and had identified my child's school as a result of having gone through their videos, I think I would feel a bit stalked. It wouldn't sit well with me at all.

If someone had made a specific threat to an individual and I felt that they were in danger, then I would report my concerns to the police. But I wouldn't go around policing young children's videos on the internet and reporting them if I disagreed with the content.

Last edited:

YoghurtPots

Such an emotive subject and I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. What your daughter did was technically the right thing to do as she wasnt just "not racist, she was anti-racist" which is the new slogan plastered all over social media. For me though, if it were my daughter, I would worry that she is a bit of a snitch and nobody really likes snitches, especially on 9yr old children. It was a very extreme step to take. I personally would have told my daughter (I have 2 daughters) to mind their own business as it is a young child, I would have been a bit peeved at one of them contacting the school. Being a racist is a heavy label to carry around for the 9yr old.