What do you think about vaping? Ie People who vape?

StripeySpots

I have smoked cigarettes on and off for 22 years. I periodically gave up for years and then started again during some personal crisis or other. The last time I started again was after a four year abstinence when my mum died suddenly. It seemed like a good excuse, and who could blame me at that time? I asked the neighbour to go to the shop and buy me 20 fags, so he did! Who could argue with someone bereaved?! Even my dad didn’t say anything, which was a first!

Since then, I have switched to an e-cigarette. This hasn’t ended my addiction, it just allows it continue in a more sociable form. DH says I use my ecig like a dummy, ie it is always there and I cry when I lose it. He is not far off the truth.

Although I am not buying and smoking real fags anymore, I am equally addicted to my efag.. If it was taken away from me I would go mad.

I get it, I am addicted to nicotine. I can get it, and use it, less antisocially. Yet, people still moan about the ‘clouds’. I do not blow ‘clouds’, mine is very subtle and I can swallow it so nothing escapes if the situation arises.

I am annoyed with myself that I have swapped one addiction for another. Although the latter is much cheaper, less stinkier, and not as bad health wise.

Despite all this, lots of people seem to hate e-cigs as much as they did real fags? All I ask is why? Surely they are much cleaner and less smelly?

Just wondering what you think of e-cigarettes?

Justsayno

I'm usually quick to notice someone smoking regular cigarettes and avoid inhaling when walking directly behind them. Vapers catch me by surprise - all of a sudden I have a lungfull of some heavily scented air. I find that affects my breathing much more than regular smoke which doesn't overwhelm me quite so much. Though the cigarette smell sticks to my hair for ages, which does irritate. Lately I'm surprised by pot smokers much more than any others.

Good luck - quitting is difficult but doable when you're ready. Did it 25 years ago and still get the urge once in a while.

Divgirl

I don't hate e-cigs, and I don't hate people who vape (provided it's outside etc). Some of them actually look pretty cool.

I absolutely loathe walking through someone else's manky crème brûlée mouth cloud though.

Edit - I'm almost certainly alone in this but I actually quite enjoy the smell of cigarettes, so I'd rather walk behind someone actually smoking (especially if they're also wearing a nice perfume/man-perfume and you get that exotic mix of the smoke and the scent).

Last edited:

FurloughednFucked

I'm a smoker, all be it at the moment one who smokes very little because I can't afford them.
I found that with an ecig though it was like a dummy, never out of my mouth. Maybe because it doesn't have a natural end like a cigarette does. And I had the same panic if it ran out of battery or I lost it as I do when I don't have any cigarettes. I really hate that something has control of me to that extent. Obviously not enough to defeat it though.

We don't allow vaping in any of the public areas at work, but found some people really will argue the point about that. Though I guess there's selfish people who smoke, and selfish people who vape. You can get the same reaction from asking people not to smoke right in front of the main entrance, because they're outside. Some vapers will say it's not a cigarette so it's fine inside. I think they're thought of as more socially acceptable than they actually are.

Personally they don't bother me, but I can see why they would some people.
What I find confusing though is seeing younger people doing it, school age. For me ecigs or vapes are for people trying to quit 'real' smoking, I don't understand why you'd start one without having that addiction in the first place. But then a lot of people don't see why you'd start smoking in the first place, so I do sort of get it.

Cathulhu

Mr C vapes.
The constant faff and picking up, fiddling with it, losing it 973567875432 times a day, refilling, cleaning does my head in, BUT he's managing to reduce the nicotine and he now smells of berries instead of smoke which was disgusting.

Darklordofdublin

I have a bit of an issue with some people who vape thinking they can have a sneaky vape in the toilets at work rather than go down stairs and out side. It’s the same on the train into work. I don’t want to smell your weird candy floss scented air. It strikes me that people who vape seem more obsessed with it than original cigarettes and are always carrying it on their hand and puffing away.

1eyedcoot

As an ex smoker - I can't stand either, although if I have to choose, it'll be smoking. There is something cloying about vape and I just don't trust it. With a normal cigarette, the smoke dissipates quicker in the air, with andE-cig cloud, it lingers for quite a long time. I watched two people at a bid stop, one smoking, one vaping..both exhaled at the same time and the vape cloud lasted visiably longer - a lot longer..across two double lane roads, the tram tracks between them and up into the trees.
There's the added danger of stupidity, there's not many around that do this I admit, but there are enough that do to warrent a mention; Vaping in the car whilst driving, I've seen far too many that can't see where they are going because of the cloud, even with the drivers window down, it's a pretty big hazzard.

Fortress24

I find that people who vape are even more inconaiderate than those who smoke because they seem to think their vaping does effect other people so don't stop to think about doing it in public areas. I don't want a waft of scented smoke straight in my face and lungs but there seems to be a memtality of 'it' not smoking so it's fine'.

1eyedcoot

I find that people who vape are even more inconaiderate than those who smoke because they seem to think their vaping does effect other people so don't stop to think about doing it in public areas. I don't want a waft of scented smoke straight in my face and lungs but there seems to be a memtality of 'it' not smoking so it's fine'.
I have to agree with that. It wasn't that long ago there was a thread about a vaper in the supermarket queue.

Hotsoapywater

I've vaped and I couldn't get on with it. When the price of cigarettes went up, I moved onto tobacco. The smell doesn't permeate as tailor mades do. One packet of tobacco with my menthol tips and liquorice papers (because my mother always said they look posher) has saved me almost £50 per week. (Austrians are known for being smokers)

I have no issue with vapers either. So don't give yourself a harsh time, Stripey. If vaping gets you through, then keep at it.

I'm not good with sweet smelling substances so they do put me off. But then I don't like the smell of tailor mades any more.

Gin&ASplashOfTonic

Haven't people died because of vaping messing up their lungs?

I knew I wasn't imagining it https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-disease.html

I smoked for years 20+, then gave up cold turkey one day. I don't have an addictive personality though. Vaping doesn't smell nice but it doesn't stink like fags.
A friend and her husband vape in their house and the living room is like a cloud of it. I find it makes me sneeze.

Nattyknitter

I have smoked cigarettes on and off for 22 years. I periodically gave up for years and then started again during some personal crisis or other. The last time I started again was after a four year abstinence when my mum died suddenly. It seemed like a good excuse, and who could blame me at that time? I asked the neighbour to go to the shop and buy me 20 fags, so he did! Who could argue with someone bereaved?! Even my dad didn’t say anything, which was a first!

Since then, I have switched to an e-cigarette. This hasn’t ended my addiction, it just allows it continue in a more sociable form. DH says I use my ecig like a dummy, ie it is always there and I cry when I lose it. He is not far off the truth.

Although I am not buying and smoking real fags anymore, I am equally addicted to my efag.. If it was taken away from me I would go mad.

I get it, I am addicted to nicotine. I can get it, and use it, less antisocially. Yet, people still moan about the ‘clouds’. I do not blow ‘clouds’, mine is very subtle and I can swallow it so nothing escapes if the situation arises.

I am annoyed with myself that I have swapped one addiction for another. Although the latter is much cheaper, less stinkier, and not as bad health wise.

Despite all this, lots of people seem to hate e-cigs as much as they did real fags? All I ask is why? Surely they are much cleaner and less smelly?

I think they are far better than normal fags in terms of your health. Addiction to nicotine isn’t the issue as while the nicotine is addictive, it’s everything else in real fags that does the bigger damage. I wouldn’t worry about it as long as you smoke where you are allowed to smoke and take the same care about asking people if they mind, as you would have done with normal fags, can’t see an issue. Some people just like to have something to complain about and it’s likely these same people are similarly addicted to sugar or caffeine, so horses for courses. Enjoy your vaping and well done for kicking the evil oily rag 😁

I'm usually quick to notice someone smoking regular cigarettes and avoid inhaling when walking directly behind them. Vapers catch me by surprise - all of a sudden I have a lungfull of some heavily scented air. I find that affects my breathing much more than regular smoke which doesn't overwhelm me quite so much. Though the cigarette smell sticks to my hair for ages, which does irritate. Lately I'm surprised by pot smokers much more than any others.

Good luck - quitting is difficult but doable when you're ready. Did it 25 years ago and still get the urge once in a while.
The urge never leaves does it. I quit over 10 years ago but I still get a slight craving when I smell a waft of ciggie as someone is walking past. Although as OP said, more likely to smell weed nowadays!

Cinders

Anything that impacts other people whether it is cigarette smoke, vape smoke, pot smell, BO, bad breath, flatulance, strong perfume is antisocial if you are invading other people’s olfactory space when you are doing it.

HelenDamnation

I listened to a Radio 4 programme a while back discussing vaping, and the medics who participated think that there may be long term health consequences that are yet unknown, as well as the recent vaping THC or acetate content related deaths,
They concluded that it is better to go on to vaping if you smoke and can't stop, but if you don't already smoke, don't start vaping.

Eggsontoast

Honestly as long as you are nice to me I couldn’t give a shit. It’s a bit annoying when you get the smell of custard or whatever the flavour is when you are walking behind someone, but I wouldn’t lose my shit over it.

OP
OP
StripeySpots

StripeySpots

Thanks for your kind responses, everyone!

I tend to only vape when I am alone at home.

I fully understand what people mean about some of the sickly sweet smells that some vapers puff out. I too dislike walking into a cloud of it. The worse one for me is vanilla....yuk! I also hate the vapes that produce massive clouds of it. It just looks ridiculous and I don’t get it.

I went for a socially distanced tea in my friend’s garden last week. Both her and her parter, both non smokers, remarked how very little ‘smoke’ my vape produced. They said their lodger’s vape produces dirty big clouds which take ages to shift.

It appears from this thread that most people tend to hate walking through clouds of vape, so I shall always bear that in mind if there are other people in my vicinity in future. Cheers folks!

Justsayno

I listened to a Radio 4 programme a while back discussing vaping, and the medics who participated think that there may be long term health consequences that are yet unknown, as well as the recent vaping THC or acetate content related deaths,
They concluded that it is better to go on to vaping if you smoke and can't stop, but if you don't already smoke, don't start vaping.
Not to mention the risk of battery fires and explosions