What I’m reading right now.

IdleWorm

I’ve just read Rodham: What if Hillary Hadn’t Married Bill by Curtis Sittenfeld. I really enjoyed it. Also the first book I read by the same author was The American Wife which was fiction but based on Laura Bush. Another good read.
I really like Curtis Sittenfeld, I think her characterisation is spot on. Very realistic and subtle. She has written one called “Prep”, essentially a coming-of-age story, that took me right back to being 15 or so. Really good.
Two other American writers I’ve found that avoid the “kooky twee adult woman is surprisingly incompetent for a high-flying professional” are Ann Patchett and Taylor Jenkins Reid. Very different from each other- Patchett is a bit in the Anne Tyler mould, but a bit more unexpected, but TJR is much fresher and cooler- she writes about film stars and 70s rock bands.

Justsayno

I listen to audio books while walking the dog, doing chores or driving and the reader can make a massive difference to whether I like the book or not. Some readers are so monotone that it’s just a drag and can make even the best thriller sound like a dirge.

James MacPherson who reads the Rebus novels is fantastic, as was Olivia Coleman reading Come Again by Robert Webb.
I alternate podcasts with audiobooks (which I always get from the library). I feel refreshed after gardening with a podcast, vs sometimes ruminating about current issues if my brain is left to entertain itself.

RomanesEuntDomus

the reader can make a massive difference to whether I like the book or not. Some readers are so monotone that it’s just a drag and can make even the best thriller sound like a dirge.
It's like the translation of a foreign novel. The wrong translation - too old fashioned, laboured or just off-key - can ruin a book. I've yet to find a Dostoyevsky translation that doesn't leave me with the feeling I'm peering through a frosted window. I'm pretty sure Razumikhin (Raskolnikov's best mate in Crime and Punishment) didn't talk like a caricature of an English public schoolboy circa 1935.

Horses Gallore

I have never used audio books but am wondering the best way to go about it. Audible? I can’t understand the library apps and how they work.
Audible is the one I use. You can return books if you don't like them. I started listening to the new Ken Follett and the narrator was so awful I couldn't continue with it. I returned it and got my credit back and got something else instead.