When do you think the Job Center will be back to normal

CushyButterfield

Just that really how long do you think it will be before the Job Centers are open to the general public? People need to start looking for jobs sooner rather than later has anyone heard anything?

1eyedcoot

Job centres aren't much use in that respect. It's all online anyway and all agencies, MLM or zero hour caring contracts.

I'm not entirely sure why they are still around to be honest. It's all online and one fuck up after another, which involves hours on the phone. You only go to be treated like someting you scrape off the bottom of thier shoe in return for maybe having put into your account - if you are deemed worthy enough, and the wind is blowing in the right direction.

OP
OP
C

CushyButterfield

Job centres aren't much use in that respect. It's all online anyway and all agencies, MLM or zero hour caring contracts.

I'm not entirely sure why they are still around to be honest. It's all online and one fuck up after another, which involves hours on the phone. You only go to be treated like someting you scrape off the bottom of thier shoe in return for maybe having put into your account - if you are deemed worthy enough, and the wind is blowing in the right direction.
I am sorry to hear that is your experience my sister is one of the many people looking for work -

HeavenAndHell

I've lost my job due to this lockdown and will likely have to sign on soon. Do Job Centres push people to join MLM nowadays? :(

1eyedcoot

Not in an out and out way - you have to get in contact with them to find out which ones they are by asking for a job. It's awful.

The only advice I've got is to sign up to as many agencies as possible and keep getting in contact with companies and ask on the off chance.

Sorry to hear about your job loss.

Good luck with the job centre. Try to keep some money back for when they decide you've had too much in 1 month and you have to start again. If you can avoid at all - do so.

RomaniEuntDomus

I once worked at a Jobcentre, back in the boom days of the late 1980s. Back then the vacancies came through on a dot matrix printer connected to an internal network, and you had to pull the perforated paper off the printer and separate the notices before putting them out for display.

In the branch I worked at, we only displayed the more genuine and worthwhile vacancies. That meant proper employers, or a verifiable phone number in the case of private households (e.g. for nannies and cleaners), a basic wage or salary, and no agencies or Avon. So we threw out all the MLMs and 'modelling opportunities' and commission-only double glazing sharks.

I'm feeling quite nostalgic for those days now.

1eyedcoot

Avon is one of them yes.

Caring jobs too - loads of those, but you only get paid for the time in the house, not the travel, to, from and between houses and you are expected to get to each house in around 10 minutes - regardless of where it is. You may be reimbursed for fuel (you have to have a car), but you'll be lucky and you have to have level 2 certificates, previous experience and it's on a zero hours self employed basis. And they wonder why no-one wants the job.

There's very few salaries advertised and fewer phone numbers. There are never any half decent jobs unless you're a tradesman.

Eliza

Agency central used to be a good website to find agencies specific to what you do/are looking for. I don't know if it's still going though.

Indeed, totaljobs and the other one with green branding were good CV sites. Was it CV central? I can't remember but if I do I'll update. As is linkedin.

I wouldn't bother with the jobcentre at all until you have to.

Casperron

I've lost my job due to this lockdown and will likely have to sign on soon. Do Job Centres push people to join MLM nowadays? :(
No definitely not but from my experience you have to apply for every single job avlaible even if it’s not something you’d do eg I’ve worked in retail and admin and they sent me off on a course to get my cscs card and said if I didn’t go my money would be stopped. I was also 20 weeks pregnant

Eliza

No, I've just checked my emails and it's CV library. That and total jobs are the only two I've bothered to keep updated over the years, as well as linkedin.

Agency central is still going, I just checked.

OP
OP
C

CushyButterfield

No definitely not but from my experience you have to apply for every single job avlaible even if it’s not something you’d do eg I’ve worked in retail and admin and they sent me off on a course to get my cscs card and said if I didn’t go my money would be stopped. I was also 20 weeks pregnant
What is a cscs card?

My sister has had to go on UC she has never been out of work before and very much wants to work but although she has been told to apply for jobs there aren't any so how the hell is she supposed to fill in her 'job search section'

Last edited:

Eliza

What is a cscs card?

My sister has had to go on UC she has never been out of work before and very much wants to work but although she has been told to apply for jobs there aren't any so how the hell is she supposed to fill in her 'job search section'
It stands for construction skills certification scheme I think. It's to show you have a certain level of health and safety training to work on site. There are different colour cards for different roles/level of management.

OP
OP
C

CushyButterfield

It stands for construction skills certification scheme I think. It's to show you have a certain level of health and safety training to work on site. There are different colour cards for different roles/level of management.
But what is the point of 'wasting a place' on a course by making a office worker who as pregnant go on it!

Eliza

But what is the point of 'wasting a place' on a course by making a office worker who as pregnant go on it!
Fuck knows, but pregnancy aside, office staff have to have them too. There are a lot of admin/office jobs on a site.

A big site will have a canteen, a nurse, loads of admin jobs - reception, security, secretaries and admin, document control, cleaners - site and offices, loads of different stuff, not just trades/operatives.

Fin

My friend works for Job Centre Plus behind the scenes she's not client facing and she absolutely loathes it. She said it's not fit for purpose. She's going to be WFH for the foreseeable future

OP
OP
C

CushyButterfield

I really think they should just pay everyone in the country who can't find work are disabled or too old to work a basic income it is madness pretending there are job vacancies at the moment, disabled people have enought to cope with without having to jump through hoops and elderly people are not going to suddenly be able to get jobs delivering pizzas! UC PIP and all the rest ust make people stressed and ill. If everybody got £250 PER week it would still be a low income but at least people wouldn t be driven mad

My friend works for Job Centre Plus behind the scenes she's not client facing and she absolutely loathes it. She said it's not fit for purpose. She's going to be WFH for the foreseeable future
Is it true that most decisions are taken by the computer bots and the staff have very little leeway in helping people?

Last edited:

Fin

I really think they should just pay everyone in the country who can't find work are disabled or too old to work a basic income it is madness pretending there are job vacancies at the moment, disabled people have enought to cope with without having to jump through hoops and elderly people are not going to suddenly be able to get jobs delivering pizzas! UC PIP and all the rest ust make people stressed and ill. If everybody got £250 PER week it would still be a low income but at least people wouldn t be driven mad

Is it true that most decisions are taken by the computer bots and the staff have very little leeway in helping people?
Not that I am aware of. She used to be client facing (lone parents) and I can't imagine a computer made the decisions for her.