Who here reads fanfiction?

N

Nessie

Probably 90% of what I read is fanfic.
I just find it so much easier to get in to. I already know the characters so its just so easy to slip in to the story. I struggle to focus on new novels nowadays but fanfic keeps me reading!
There's plenty of terrible stories but I've also read a lot of terrible published stuff too. There's lots of great writers to be found if you keep looking.

I used to hide my fanfic ways but now I'm out and proud. ?

V

visitor

I love well plotted, well written fanfic. It is a real pleasure to get more of characters and settings that you love.
Some of it is utter drivel, however, and it is time consuming to sift through.

I've even written some...... ?
It is an interesting discipline to write within the canon and characterisation of someone else's world..

N

Nessie

What is it?

its just stories written by people/fans about book or tv characters. Like writing extra chapters or a side story to Harry Potter. Or any book or tv character. There's fanfic for everything nowadays!

It is an interesting discipline to write within the canon and characterisation of someone else's world..

Are you going to tell us which fandom you write in? ?

I never quite understand the completely AU fics. They sometimes throw out everything about the characters. Why write OOC and AU together? Surely you'd be just as well writing your own thing with OC as that’s basically what it is.

I read AU or OOC but never together.
I love finding fics where the author has captured the original voices perfectly. And then they right all the wrongs committed in the tv shows. :LOL:

Last edited:
V

visitor

No, too embarrassing., or revealing, or something. ?

(Disclaimer: it's not full of off the wall sexual fantasies or slash fiction ?)

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nessie

I'm scarred from some of the stuff I’ve unexpectedly come across :eek:

I usually like my relationships canon and very much in the hurt/comfort theme. Hurt my favourites! But than make it all better. :LOL:

V

visitor

I write it but rarely read it unless it's very well written. I usually write one shots and love hurt/comfort fic, as well as slash and AUs :D I'm not amazing but it brings me so much comfort to just write and get lost in a world that isn't this one!

V

visitor

I don't but my daughter does - she mutters about fandoms sometimes, it's probably Harry Potter stuff.

V

visitor

I used to write a lot of Doctor Who fanfic, mostly drabbles and one shots. I'd concentrate on Doctors 1-8 because of the New Who fans going "Eeew icky old menz".

V

visitor

I used to read more, but have found that a lot of the fandoms I like are reduced to slash or childish PWP. I used to write in various fandoms, but my muse has been on an extended holiday for several years now and I don't see it returning any time soon.

V

visitor

I used to read and write it. Most of what I wrote could probably be described as utter drivel ?
Though I wrote two that got really good reviews. Might have to go back and re read. See what I think now.
Wrote it during a bad time in my life, it helped at the time. I think the last time I did was when I didn't like the ending to something, so I rewrote it as a one shot. A few years ago.
My daughter reads/writes a lot of ff. She enjoys it.
I don't really get 'into' shows the way I used to anymore. Or books for that matter.
I used to like expanding minor characters the most, or doing some of the challenges set by other writers.

V

visitor

I used to read and write for a particular fandom. I keep meaning to get back into it as I've left one half-finished and that's my personal bugbear about fan fiction!

V

visitor

I used to read and write for a particular fandom. I keep meaning to get back into it as I've left one half-finished and that's my personal bugbear about fan fiction!

I abandoned three multi-chapter fics. ? The first one was because I turned 18, went to university and was more interested in alcohol and partying than writing ? Tried to go back to it once I was back to my normal life but couldn’t get back into the characters. It only had one chapter left!!

The second two I feel really guilty about even though they were written ten and eleven (respectively) years ago now because I loved them and got positive reviews. I was writing both at the same time even though they were completely different styles of tics not to mention completely different fandoms. I planned them out meticulously to the end and kept on top by writing two chapters of each in advance. But I eventually started to slow down and after I posted the chapters I’d written I’d been caught up with a new obsession by that point which took up most of my time and like the other one I just couldn’t get back into it. The downside is that I have a chapter waiting to be posted and a chapter of a half from the other one. Every year I say that I am going to complete both and post all the chapters together to bring the fics to a close but I’m just stuck, even though I knew these characters inside out. I posted those stories in 2010, last updated them in 2011 and only just at the start of 2020 got a review from someone begging me to finish. I feel so guilty ?

V

visitor

I abandoned three multi-chapter fics. ? The first one was because I turned 18, went to university and was more interested in alcohol and partying than writing ? Tried to go back to it once I was back to my normal life but couldn’t get back into the characters. It only had one chapter left!!

The second two I feel really guilty about even though they were written ten and eleven (respectively) years ago now because I loved them and got positive reviews. I was writing both at the same time even though they were completely different styles of tics not to mention completely different fandoms. I planned them out meticulously to the end and kept on top by writing two chapters of each in advance. But I eventually started to slow down and after I posted the chapters I’d written I’d been caught up with a new obsession by that point which took up most of my time and like the other one I just couldn’t get back into it. The downside is that I have a chapter waiting to be posted and a chapter of a half from the other one. Every year I say that I am going to complete both and post all the chapters together to bring the fics to a close but I’m just stuck, even though I knew these characters inside out. I posted those stories in 2010, last updated them in 2011 and only just at the start of 2020 got a review from someone begging me to finish. I feel so guilty ?

I get the emails begging me to finish too. It's been a few years now, I'm not sure I can get back into it.

V

visitor

I read now and then, there are some very well written ones out there that i enjoy reading. But it has to be quite realistic to the original otherwise it just doesn't resonate.