Worrying about a mole

Fairypop

Long story short, I’ve got a mole that’s got bigger over time & (I think) changed colour/shape. I’m going to try & make an appointment with my GP tomorrow but I’m nervous as hell 😩.

I’m really hoping my GP will actually see my amid coronavirus madness. I should’ve made an appointment sooner really, but here I am. Any words of wisdom or similar experiences would be very much appreciated!

RomaniEuntDomus

Does your GP do FaceTime or video consultations? If you can't get to see him/her then this might be ideal. Also some places do 'mole check' type clinics, or used to pre-lockdown.

Janet Street-Porter recently had treatment for a BCC (slow growing type of skin cancer) on her nose, if that helps.

OP
OP
F

Fairypop

Does your GP do FaceTime or video consultations? If you can't get to see him/her then this might be ideal. Also some places do 'mole check' type clinics, or used to pre-lockdown.

Janet Street-Porter recently had treatment for a BCC (slow growing type of skin cancer) on her nose, if that helps.
I’ve had a telephone appointment with them during lockdown (something unrelated) but they’ve not mentioned video consultations. I know a lot of practices seem to be doing this so hopefully they’ll offer that if I can’t go to the surgery! I know the surgery is open for urgent things etc, so we’ll see.

Thank you for that! I actually had no idea, though I don’t really follow her much these days.

OP
OP
F

Fairypop

Sending you good vibes. Hope you get a referral to a dermatologist soon.
Thank you so much. I don’t really know what I’m expecting, I just know I’m worried 🙄. I’ve probably left it longer than I should’ve too - I’ve only been to the GP 3 times in about 15 years 😂

Fin

You could take a photo and email it to them? I did that for my husband a few weeks ago for something totally unrelated.

Penguin

OK, here's my view: first off, dont panic.

I've had two melanomas, one aged 26 and one aged 52. Both of mine were atypical of the signs you are supposed to look for. I've also had basal cell carcinoma on my nose (which is just a pita rather than being serious!)

BUT, if you are in the least bit worried, and your mole is changing, demand a face to face appointment and a referral to a dermatologist. If you cant get an appointment for a few days, take some photos and measurements (which is probably the first thing a derm clinic will do anyway).

What are your risk factors - are you fair skinned, work outside, have history of sunburn? Those are reasons to push for an appointment asap.

Treatment has improved enormously since my first one (1986) and my last one (2013) - much less invasive.

I know it's really scary, but it's important you get checked out, and you shouldnt be put off getting it looked at just because of the current situation making appts hard to get hold of.

xxx

OP
OP
F

Fairypop

You could take a photo and email it to them? I did that for my husband a few weeks ago for something totally unrelated.
That’s my plan if they’re not doing face to face appointments! Good to know surgeries are doing this ☺ Hope all is well with your husband.

OK, here's my view: first off, dont panic.

I've had two melanomas, one aged 26 and one aged 52. Both of mine were atypical of the signs you are supposed to look for. I've also had basal cell carcinoma on my nose (which is just a pita rather than being serious!)

BUT, if you are in the least bit worried, and your mole is changing, demand a face to face appointment and a referral to a dermatologist. If you cant get an appointment for a few days, take some photos and measurements (which is probably the first thing a derm clinic will do anyway).

What are your risk factors - are you fair skinned, work outside, have history of sunburn? Those are reasons to push for an appointment asap.

Treatment has improved enormously since my first one (1986) and my last one (2013) - much less invasive.

I know it's really scary, but it's important you get checked out, and you shouldnt be put off getting it looked at just because of the current situation making appts hard to get hold of.

xxx
Thank you so much for your response. I don’t really know what I was hoping for with this post, I just had to tell someone. I’m so sorry you’ve been through it - although it’s great to hear you’ve got through it & thank you for sharing your experience!

I’m fair skinned, fair hair, blue eyes, a fair few moles. I’m not outside often at all these days & if I am then I’m very careful. One of my grandparents had melanomas (face, neck, back & chest) which is why I’m perhaps a little more worried than I otherwise would be. I’ll be telling the GP about that too!

Thank you again for your experience/advice, I really appreciate it ❤

Penguin

@Fairypop you tick the boxes - fair skin, blue eyes, family history. Every reason to press for an appointment sooner rather than later. Good luck, and keep us in touch pretty please?

Fin

My husband is fine thanks, got the treatment he needed for a occasional recurring issue. Good idea to tell your GP about family history. I had a dermatology appointment in December as I showed my GP a mark on my forehead when I was in for a routine appointment. She took a pic on her phone and sent it to dermatology and they phoned me to come in. They weren't concerned but sent me for some clinical photography. The photographer was verrrrry handsome 😁. They are just going to keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
F

Fairypop

@Fairypop you tick the boxes - fair skin, blue eyes, family history. Every reason to press for an appointment sooner rather than later. Good luck, and keep us in touch pretty please?
I will do my best! I need to pop to my surgery tomorrow for something else so will speak to reception about appointment options. I’m quite new to the surgery but I’ve been really impressed with reception so far - so fingers crossed. I will keep you updated & again, I really appreciate your comments xx

My husband is fine thanks, got the treatment he needed for a occasional recurring issue. Good idea to tell your GP about family history. I had a dermatology appointment in December as I showed my GP a mark on my forehead when I was in for a routine appointment. She took a pic on her phone and sent it to dermatology and they phoned me to come in. They weren't concerned but sent me for some clinical photography. The photographer was verrrrry handsome 😁. They are just going to keep an eye on it.
Pleased your husband is fine & got the treatment he needed! ☺ Oh no, that must have been worrying for you! I’m glad they weren’t concerned but at least they acted promptly. & you got a handsome photographer you lucky thing 😂😁

Fin

Fingers crossed you get a prompt appointment. Generally they are quite good at referring fast for something like that. I got a call two days after I'd seen my GP and of course I started fretting like mad but it was so fast because it was the end of December and they saw me on 31st before they closed for the festive break.

OP
OP
F

Fairypop

Fingers crossed you get a prompt appointment. Generally they are quite good at referring fast for something like that. I got a call two days after I'd seen my GP and of course I started fretting like mad but it was so fast because it was the end of December and they saw me on 31st before they closed for the festive break.
It’s great to know you were seen quickly! I’d be the same with worrying but it’s definitely good to be seen promptly. I think with coronavirus I’m even more worried than usual about the whole situation but fingers crossed they’ll see me & refer if need be! I have to confess I’m already thinking the worst. Not really panicking but just preparing 😩 thank you for sharing your experience anyway! Glad you’re ok & were seen quickly 😁 x

• Love
Reactions: Fin

Camille Bordey

At least by Friday you'll have a better idea of how things are going to go.

In the meantime try not to panic too much. My friend had similar on her neck last year (she's in her 40's now but in her younger days she used to rub on baby oil and lie out in the sun!) and was referred to a dermatologist who decided that it would need further investigation and removal for analysis.
When they went to remove it, it was a lot deeper than they thought and they told her that it was pretty certain that it would come back as melanoma.

Well, guess what? It didn't! It was completely clear. So hopefully you'll have just as good an outcome :)

Archewell

Hi Fairypop.

I've had two melanomas and they were removed (and I had a skin graft on the second one).

Treatment nowadays is so much more advanced, as Penguin said.

I hope you get a swift referral. I also ticked the boxes (pale skin etc) but honestly it wasn't worth all the worrying I did in advance.

OP
OP
F

Fairypop

At least by Friday you'll have a better idea of how things are going to go.

In the meantime try not to panic too much. My friend had similar on her neck last year (she's in her 40's now but in her younger days she used to rub on baby oil and lie out in the sun!) and was referred to a dermatologist who decided that it would need further investigation and removal for analysis.
When they went to remove it, it was a lot deeper than they thought and they told her that it was pretty certain that it would come back as melanoma.

Well, guess what? It didn't! It was completely clear. So hopefully you'll have just as good an outcome :)
That’s amazing! I can only imagine how much of a worrying time it must have been for her. What a great result after all that! Thank you for sharing, it’s lovely to have some positive stories. Trying not to worry myself too much, I’m actually just looking forward to Friday so I can get an idea of the next steps like you say! Thank you again ☺

Hi Fairypop.

I've had two melanomas and they were removed (and I had a skin graft on the second one).

Treatment nowadays is so much more advanced, as Penguin said.

I hope you get a swift referral. I also ticked the boxes (pale skin etc) but honestly it wasn't worth all the worrying I did in advance.
Thank you for sharing your experience! It’s really good to hear from people who have gone through similar (of course I don’t know what it is yet but even so).

I honestly don’t know much about treatment at all, I’ve tried not to google too much because I know I’ll just be overwhelmed & half of the information could well be completely irrelevant to me anyway! It’s great to know that treatments have advanced so much though, definitely gives me something positive to do a on. Thank you again ☺

CharlieAlphaWhiskey

Good luck for Friday @Fairypop. I'm sure they'll refer you quickly if they have any concerns. My husband went to the GP recently because he found a mass behind one of his nipples. He got an urgent referral to the breast clinic which is tomorrow to get it scanned. Good idea to tell them of the family history.