Would you have the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 45 47.9%
  • No way

Votes: 49 52.1%

• Total voters
V

visitor

See, this is interesting. While I am (more or less) fully vaccinated, and Divtot is extra vaccinated (all plus chickenpox) I'm actually not keen on what I deem to be unnecessary vaccinations. I declined whatever the one I was meant to get in pregnancy. I read the studies and decided, on balance, that I didn't want it. I did the same with the flu jab last year (I'm eligible due to an autoimmune condition but the condition itself doesn't raise my risk of flu in any way).

This is a virus that you need a test to even find out you have, and has a mortality rate (at least for people like me) of less than 1%. The average age of death is higher than the national life expectancy.

So no, I don't think so. I'm actually still undecided on this year's flu vaccine (which is purely academic because nowhere round here has any).

V

visitor

I agree. I don't have the flu jab even though I'm entitled because I've had a reaction to it in the past.

Hancock is saying that we will be in some form of lockdown until a virus is available. What if people won't have it?

V

visitor

No, unless it has been properly tested rather than rushed out. I am pro vaccine, but it's common sense to make sure it's a proper fully tested vaccine.

V

visitor

I would have it, but only after years of testing and researching the side effects and ironing out any long term issues caused by the vaccine. o in 2030, yes I’ll have it but not before.

They currently do not have a vaccine for any coronavirus so I really don’t understand the stance that it will work and that the science behind it is solid. We don’t have any ‘science’ that proves the vaccine will work and be safe because it’s an entirely new vaccine for an entirely new virus. We are skipping the sort of trials that all other vaccines have so this one can be developed quickly.
I’m just not happy to have it without the sort of rigorous testing that all other vaccines have.

V

visitor

We all had the flu vaccine last year, basically because Mr P was immunosuppressed as on chemo. I dont usually bother. Penguin Major and I had swine flu together some 12 years ago - as I remember we laid in my bed for about a week moaning, but we survived and no one else in the house got it.

V

visitor

No way. Chance of being dangerously effected by the virus itself it is minimal. Chances of being effected by an unlicensed vaccine, who the fuck knows!

I am worried about 'forced' vaccination though - i.e. not being allowed to do certain things if you haven't.
The UK won't do forced vaccinations, Fortress.

V

visitor

I read that employers may be able to refuse to employ you if you don't have it. Was a while ago and maybe scaremongering.

V

visitor

Mr MoR is determined to have it if he’s able (he’s in the highest risk group, on account of his hearteries) so I think we both would.

I don’t believe the vaccine will be rushed out. I’ve been seeing senior medical research bods interviewed on the BBC news channel and they are adamant about correct protocols being followed. However much political pressure there is I have faith in the integrity of the scientists developing the vaccine.

I’m not sure I would have the same confidence in the US. At least not in the scientists’ ability to withstand political pressure, especially from the White House.

V

visitor

I usually have every vaccine going, but I am not sure about this one. My concern is it’s being rushed out.

I went out to Uganda with VSO, and had a lot of vaccines before I went. I frequently wonder if they might have contributed to me subsequently developing Rheumatoid Arthritis- an auto immune condition.

V

visitor

I am worried about 'forced' vaccination though - i.e. not being allowed to do certain things if you haven't.
This is what worries me - ok so it's not 'forced' but it's not an opt out either. The whole civil liberties thing is going to become a massive issue if this happens.

@Buzzcat I remember my Mum and I having a yellow fever vacc before going to South America for Dad's job. We were really ill for about 3 days, like unable to get out of bed ill.

V

visitor

I remember my Mum and I having a yellow fever vacc before going to South America for Dad's job. We were really ill for about 3 days, like unable to get out of bed ill.
My friend's son had the yellow fever vaccination before going on a work trip. He was really unwell, his mother phoned the doctor and medics turned up wearing full PPE just stopping short of wearing full hazmat suits. She didn't know what was more terrifying, her son being ill or thinking they were all going to go down with a plague.

V

visitor

The order of prioritisation for who gets the vaccine first has already been decided. I am only in group six.
  1. Older adults resident in a care home and care home workers
  2. Those 80 years of age and over and health and social care workers
  3. Those 75 years of age and over
  4. Those 70 years of age and over
  5. Those 65 years of age and over
  6. High-risk adults under 65 years of age
  7. Moderate-risk adults under 65 years of age
  8. All those 60 years of age and over
  9. All those 55 years of age and over
  10. All those 50 years of age and over
  11. Rest of the population (priority to be determined)