Would you have the vaccine?

Would you have the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 45 47.9%
  • No way

Votes: 49 52.1%

• Total voters

Mad about heucheras

Is it worth contacting them. Mistakes have been made. Can I ask how old you are? A friend who is on methotrexate was told it didn’t put her in a higher group. I am 57. I will check my group when I have my blood test this Friday.

All of our vaccinations apart from the care home and housebound ones are being done at our local private health/sports club. Some companies who have their vehicles off the road due to Covid are offering free transport. I could get there on my scooter, but I have been threatened with something dreadful if I don’t ask for a lift from friends.
I’m 76. I do want the vaccine, but not at the effort of a 70 mile round trip. As the letter suggests, I’m leaving it until local GP services contact me, however long that takes. There’s already a well organised system in place at a local hospital, so I don’t understand why that’s not an option.

CakeO'clock

@Mad about heucheras Make sure your GP has the best contact number for you. My mum (74) got called today for an appointment this afternoon. I think they might have had vaccine that needed using so were ringing around to fill empty slots (I wonder if they were cancellations)

Bellarosa

I’m 76. I do want the vaccine, but not at the effort of a 70 mile round trip. As the letter suggests, I’m leaving it until local GP services contact me, however long that takes. There’s already a well organised system in place at a local hospital, so I don’t understand why that’s not an option.
I think the advice is that you have the option to wait for your GP to call you to a local centre if you cannot travel, but it’s probably worth checking with your GP to confirm this.

I found this on the government website

Vaccines will be offered in a range of settings. Some vaccination teams will visit people to offer the vaccine, for example in care homes, other people may have to go to the nearest centre. Because some of the vaccine has to be stored in a very low temperature freezer, you may not be able to get the vaccine in your normal GP surgery.

If the centre you are offered is not easy to get to​

Please try to attend the vaccination centre you are offered. If you cannot attend that centre you may have to wait to get the vaccine in a more convenient location.

Justsayno

I have rheumatoid arthritis. I will be having the vaccine. Life as it is at the moment is not really worth living, particularly as somebody who lives alone. Without the vaccine I won’t be able to travel abroad. A certificate of vaccination is almost certainly going to be a requirement.

I respect people who decide against it, but I will be having it as soon as I can.
I have a rare vascular condition that the virus could wreak havoc with, so I'll be having the vaccine as soon as I'm able. I just talked with my doctor as my province is doing a 3rd wave high risk group but I'm not sure if I'm in the category - she will check. Otherwise it's by age and that won't be till June/July. I also want to travel asap.

Horses Gallore

I'm going to be phoning again today (unable to get through on Friday) to arrange my vaccine. I should get it via this line because I work at the hospital, when I'm not furloughed. Other non-NHS staff have had theirs using this number, so me and my staff should be able to get it, too. I wouldn't bother otherwise, as I am not inclined to respiratory infections. I'm about to celebrate 3 years since I last had a cold.

FisherLassie

As carer for my Mum 89 and her 90 year old partner l had it a week ago when l took them and l was and still am ecstatic .

On a slightly different tangent, I heard about vaccines being given in cathedrals, with the organ being played. It was on the Paddy O'Connell BH radio 4 show this morning and someone played a Father Willis organ, that sounded magnificent!
What did they play? I hope it was something Magnificent !

Last edited:

Wait...What?

Heard today I'm in line for it through work next week (SEN). I hoped this would be the case under the social care prioritisation but it's all been a bit vague until now even though some (inc. me) are back in school. Happy for me but sad Mr Wait will still be waiting despite being on heart medication.

Horses Gallore

I'm getting my first one tomorrow. I have been ringing on and off since filling in the form last week and receiving an email reply. I have either not been able to get through or hung up after 20+ minutes in a queue. I had another bash this afternoon, fully expecting to be waiting again, and had a mouthful of biscuit when the phone was answered at once! So, first one tomorrow at the community hospital a few miles away, then I suppose I wait to hear when I get the second one.

Horses Gallore

You play the organ? How brilliant! How does it feel?
I do - well did. I haven't played in a church regularly since I moved here 10 years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am a classically trained pianist, so had to adapt my style for the organ and then cheat on some of the methods, as my hands are very small. But there is nothing like opening all the pipes up and giving it laldy! I also sing along with the hymns while I play, which came as a shock in each church initially - and then I used to sing the descants to carols while still playing the tune to lead the congregation. Don't ask me how I did it, because I have no idea. Both hands playing something different, my left foot on the pedals (I learned on a half pedal board, so only used the one foot) and then my voice doing something else again. Extreme multi-tasking! 🤣

RomanesEuntDomus

I do - well did. I haven't played in a church regularly since I moved here 10 years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am a classically trained pianist, so had to adapt my style for the organ and then cheat on some of the methods, as my hands are very small. But there is nothing like opening all the pipes up and giving it laldy! I also sing along with the hymns while I play, which came as a shock in each church initially - and then I used to sing the descants to carols while still playing the tune to lead the congregation. Don't ask me how I did it, because I have no idea. Both hands playing something different, my left foot on the pedals (I learned on a half pedal board, so only used the one foot) and then my voice doing something else again. Extreme multi-tasking! 🤣
Wow, you sound like one talented lady! I used to enjoy having a bash at the piano, but my hands barely stretch an octave and my attempts at the Alla Turca hurt both fingers and ears. I also stink at sightreading.

Horses Gallore

Wow, you sound like one talented lady! I used to enjoy having a bash at the piano, but my hands barely stretch an octave and my attempts at the Alla Turca hurt both fingers and ears. I also stink at sightreading.
I am the same, an octave is a real stretch for me. When I first took on the church organ, at 16, I was too stupid to say no and I was awful! I had a hymn in each key, and we sang them ad infinitum. 🤣 However, I persevered and managed to buy myself a small home organ and taught myself the pedal board, again using the one hymn in each key, during a summer break from the organ. I don't consider myself a great organist. I don't play these stonkingly wonderful things you hear, but I can lead a congregation in a suitable speeding for singing and quite often the great organ soloists can't do that.

Bellarosa

As carer for my Mum 89 and her 90 year old partner l had it a week ago when l took them and l was and still am ecstatic .

What did they play? I hope it was something Magnificent !
Are you their formal carer? I look after my disabled husband and he would be stuffed if I had Covid, even if I was just mildly ill.