WWYD? Applying for job

Casperron

there’s this job I’m desperate for, I haven’t applied yet but I know I am the perfect fit for this job and would most likely get it. Location and everything is perfect, it would open up so many opportunities for me and change my life. The only problem is it’s a small team and I found out from their website somebody who works there is a girl that beat me up 5 years ago. I haven’t spoken to her since but she has followed me on social media (whatever that means). I’d be willing to move on and forget about it so I can work professionally however it might make me trust her a little less. She’s in the same role I’m applying for so I’d be working closely with her on a daily basis. Should I tell them at the interview? I don’t want to appear dishonest. The reason she beat me up is complicated, I wasn’t innocent in that situation, however I was 15, she was 14, and there were other people involved she wasn’t the only one hitting me.

Divgirl

I'd apply and not mention it unless she's actually on the interview panel (and even then I probably wouldn't).

Get the job, pretend you don't recognise her. Be the bigger person.

(I'm quite avoidant by nature though.)

BirdFeeder

Don’t mention it. You were both early teens when it happened. My only worry is that you might be scared around her, I know I’d find it very hard to get over someone physically harming me and wouldn’t want to work with them. Is there any chance she’s given in her notice and you’d be replacing her rather than working with her?

CharlieAlphaWhiskey

I definitely wouldn't mention it at interview. You were both still children effectively when this happened. Hopefully you've both done a lot of growing up in the intervening 5 years and are different people today. Go for interview, hopefully get the job, and go in with a pleasant manner on your first day to show you've moved on. Fingers crossed you can both accept what happened as something in the past and it won't affect your working future. Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Casperron

Don’t mention it. You were both early teens when it happened. My only worry is that you might be scared around her, I know I’d find it very hard to get over someone physically harming me and wouldn’t want to work with them. Is there any chance she’s given in her notice and you’d be replacing her rather than working with her?
That would be unlikely, it’s a trainee job, they take on new staff this time every year and if she left now she’d be leaving in the middle of her training. I’m definitely going to apply for it now, I’m glad I feel prepared to see her again rather than going in on my first day of work and being surprised

OP
OP
C

Casperron

Was there any kind of legal action over the beating up? If so, I’d mention it but if not I’d just be professional when you see her.
My mum called the police but no action was ever taken as they said I didn’t see her actually hit me (she came up from behind then pushed me on the floor)

Camille Bordey

Honestly? If it was me I wouldn't apply. I think it would be different if it was a big company and your contact with her would be minimal, but in a small team I think it could be very awkward.

OP
OP
C

Casperron

Honestly? If it was me I wouldn't apply. I think it would be different if it was a big company and your contact with her would be minimal, but in a small team I think it could be very awkward.
Unfortunately I’m unemployed at the moment and live in a rural area without transport so finding a job in the sector I want is like gold dust

Otters Rule

I expect she might be concerned too that you might mention the fight, if she sees you when you go for interview! Hopefully she has matured and wouldn't want anyone else to be aware of it either.

Fortress24

I wouldn't mention it. You have said yourself that a) you weren't an innocent party in it and b) there is no evidence she hit you and c) you were children.

Do the adult thing and move past it if the job is important to you.