Zoom at the Doctor's Surgery

MissMappsGardenRoom

Matt Hancock hopes that GPs can see patients through Zoom, even after Covid.

So, if a doctor can tell me if a lump is cancerous or not through Zoom, why can't I just go on YouTube and follow a video there.

It implies that making a diagnoses of anything isn't that difficult, so why pay masses for GPs to train and then pay them far too much to work as a GP-the work obviously isn't skilled at all.

I certainly couldn't consult the gas board through Zoom over installing my new oven and yet, in matters of life and death, I can consult the GP through Zoom.

Stupid idea. I hope it has come from that dolt Matt Hancock and not an idea put forward by GPs themselves. If it is the latter, it is the last straw-first, they didn't want home visits, then they only want to work office hours -at the same time as Blair gave them a massive pay rise. If however, this is the case, sack the lot of them and employ a new bunch who can understand what the job of a GP is.

Countryfile123

Like many other sectors, doctors have embraced new ways of working during the last few months. Video appointments are good for the Initial assessment of rashes, acne etc. etc. However, anything potentially more sinister, such as a cancer lump, doctors are still seeing in person.

I don’t quite understand your angst. I think the suggestion is that GPs continue to use the new ways of working, in additional to to the old methods.

OP
OP
MissMappsGardenRoom

MissMappsGardenRoom

I don't think that is the case at all. Video appointments for anything medical are not ideal at all. It is simply no different to asking Dr Google.

In your example, how could they tell the shade of a rash, how could they understand the texture of it?

I'm afraid it's nonsense and, before long, after a year or two, there will be a push to make all appointments by video in a salami-bit by bit-approach,

Fairypop

I was under the impression zoom and phone calls were like a triage - if it can be dealt with that way then it will, if not you go in, at least that has been my experience (albeit not with lumps but other issues)
I was also under this impression & has been the case for me over the last few months. I’ve been to see the nurse/GP 5 times in person over lockdown for various things. I’ve had 2 telephone calls, one was easily dealt with on the phone & was much easier than me going in, but the GP asked me to go in after the second call & I was seen the same day.

I don’t mind telephone or video consultations as long as GPs are still seeing patients when needed - either for medical reasons & because not everyone has the possibility of video calling etc. If things are being missed because of telephone/video consultations then that’s not right. I must admit, I might just be lucky with my surgery because I know some people haven’t even been able to get certain medication (like their normal contraceptives, for example) which I really don’t think is fair.

Raffles

I wouldn't be happy with this at all. Internet connections are not exactly secure or reliable. Not eveyone knows how to use it.
I agree Coot, not secure and also there are some of us who do not have the broadband speed or stable connections to use zoom or anything similar. I have been getting more and more annoyed over the last few months of the comments from some it is easy to keep in touch with people because of technology. Landline phone for us only for comms, no mobile signal and max 0.5mb broadband.

By all means use it if it is what people want but there must be thought for those where it is not feasible.

1eyedcoot

I'm still pissed off that we can see a GP but still no sign of seeing any dentists. What's the hold up?

I've now bought dentist scraper tool and poky thing, mirror and medical grade medium grade toothpaste to at least try something. I want to start my treatment again sooner rather than later, I got so close to nearly completing it.

Raffles

I'm still pissed off that we can see a GP but still no sign of seeing any dentists. What's the hold up?
Not just dentists but I do wonder if it is the fear of returning to work, governing bodies of various jobs stopping return or imposing so many restrictions it too difficult, or are some people just lazy and enjoying being at home whilst being paid?

1eyedcoot

Nothing would surprise me to be honest. I've already paid for the treatment that was cancelled - they'd better remember that I've paid for it and not charge me again.

Litchielou

I had a zoom call with my GP re moles. He asked me to come to the surgery within 45 minutes, no waiting in the waiting room I went straight to his office. No one was in the surgery hopefully this will sort out the time wasters.
My Dd was seen after a telephone call and had a blood test straight after.
Dh has had his dental checkup yesterday including with the hygienist, mine is on Tuesday.